Why no Steyr mentions?

threegun

I was just wondering why I don't see many mentions of 'em here. Do they sell a lot of guns?

I think that your friend has one of the 10 steyr has sold LOL.

Just joking. They are nice guns. I see them at the range when I R.O. and they shoot great. The few rounds I have behind them all hit the black. Never seen a malfunction. I think that they are a victim of the Johnny come lately thing with Glock having the market first.

Keltyke

Great guns. Best-kept secret since "I didn't do THAT with THAT woman." Steyr doesn't advertise at all, and there's little product push here in the USA. I don't know if they have import problems or what.

You'll seldom see one at a gun show or in a shop. I lucked up on one several months ago in a local gun/pawn shop. It was being sold as "used", but I don't think it'd ever been fired. I got it for around $350.

If you check eBang or Gunbroker, you'll usually find several for sale. Mostly the M40 or M9 models. It's also made in .357 SIG, but hose ae scarce. The S series is a good carry piece, but OOP and hard to find. It's a half inch shorter than the M series on the barrel, and about an inch shorter on the butt.

The guns are VERY well made and tight. The slide is "like buttah". Damned accurate and easy to keep on target. Recoil is minimal. My wife, who usually doesn't like the .40 S&W, loves to shoot any of mine. In fact, when I got the S-40, she took over the S-9. They are striker-fired DAO. The trigger pull is advertised at 5 pounds, but it feels more like 3.5. Short and solid, no creep. MUCH better than Glock's trigger.

They look wicked, too. Very business-like.

Darned hard to find dedicated holsters, though. Blade-Tech is the only place carrying an "in stock" holster specifically made for it.

LanceOregon

Note:

Austria is not a member of NATO. They are thus not an ally of the United States. They are sometimes, not even a friend.

In 2006, over strenuous protests from the United States government, the Austria government allowed Steyr Mannlicher GmbH to sell 800 50 BMG caliber long range sniper rifles to the government of Iran.

This was despite the fact that Iran is a world-wide sponsor of terrorist organizations. And has been guilty of providing weapons to Iraqi insurgents in Iraq fighting US troops.

Steyr saw no reason to not sell their sniper rifles to Iran.

steyr.jpg

MythBuster

"They are striker-fired DAO. The trigger pull is advertised at 5 pounds, but it feels more like 3.5. Short and solid, no creep"

First off how do you get "DAO" out of a gun with a 99% precocked striker?

Second how can a DAO trigger be "Short and solid, no creep"?

johnle

I'm a fan!

I have an M9-A1 right now and an M40-A1 on order

and it's not a real DAO, it's a pre-set double action. Just like glock

Jermtheory

im not sure about "99%" but....

assuming thats correct,the 1% take up in the trigger pull would still be considered an "action"....making the trigger technically "double action"?

Keltyke

Do you have any experience with Steyr pistols?

Because in the included manual, Steyr calls it a "Reset Action System (special double action system)". In a direct quote from the Steyr website, "These attributes, along with its safety features, make the STEYR M-A1 series of pistols tough and reliable, recoil delayed, Double-Action Only semi-automatic pistol."

Now, you go argue with Steyr about their pistols. I assume they know what they're talking about.

Second how can a DAO trigger be "Short and solid, no creep"?
Because it's a damned fine pistol, that's how. 4mm of travel is pretty short, even by Holy Glock standards. In my experience with the 4 Steyr pistols I own and shoot regularly, the trigger snaps over the release point so easily and quickly that the perceived creep is nonexistent. It feels like a SA pistol.

Any more questions?

rellascout

Keltyke,

It is clear you are a steyr fan but in reality they are not rock solid. You could not pay me to carry one of their older S frame guns. I hope you take my post seriously that the safety inside the upper part of the trigger guard is known to fail.

This leaves the gun unable to fire. The one on my S9 used to engage itself at times under normal shooting conditions. It is a known issue.

The Steyrs have huge potential but there are lots of points of poor execution on these guns. The build quality and their durability is not consistent enough. My S40 cracked its frame. I never fired a reload or even a hot load out of the gun. I am lucky it happened at the range not in a real SD situation. You like them others do not and have pointed out issues with the gun you do not have to get defensive about it.

threegun

Lance, I was told that several of those rifles made there way into Iraqi hands and have caused U.S. casualties.

It's the reason I don't own a steyr and never will.

rellascout

Lance, I was told that several of those rifles made there way into Iraqi hands and have caused U.S. casualties.

It's the reason I don't own a steyr and never will.

That is complete and total rumor. I have not seen a creditable report that this has actually happened.

More than likely they were bought to be used against Israeli tanks not to be sent to Iraq. :barf:

Keltyke

I felt your post was a little challenging, I responded. If that was not your intention, my apologies.

It is a known issue.

Not to me. Can you show me some facts beyond your experience with your one gun.

Since I recommend people buy one, I MUST defend it. I have two S series, a 9 and a 40. The 9 was my main carry piece before the 40, and I reckon it has over 2000 rounds through it. Since it WAS my carry piece, a LOT of my practice was "pick it up, flick the safety off, fire 2-3 rounds - rapid fire, reset the safety, repeat." I've experienced -0- safety problems, including sticking or breaking. The 40 now has almost 1000 rounds through it with the same results. I'm not trying to argue, but my experience with Steyr is much different than yours. BTW, the 9 was sold as "used" but appeared to have never been fired. The 40 was bought NIB. These are not previously worn out guns with gawd only knows how many rounds shot.

Percentages say the safety will fail in practice. If it does, I may change my opinion of Steyr.

MythBuster

"Because in the included manual, Steyr calls it a "Reset Action System (special double action system)". In a direct quote from the Steyr website, "These attributes, along with its safety features, make the STEYR M-A1 series of pistols tough and reliable, recoil delayed, Double-Action Only semi-automatic pistol."

Now, you go argue with Steyr about their pistols. I assume they know what they're talking about"

Once again I will ask. Where do they get DAO from pistol that is carried with a fully cocked striker?

MythBuster

Several gun writers are calling the S&W M&P a DAO. It also is carried with a cocked striker. The trigger pull only releases the cocked striker.

Where do they get DAO?

GWbiker

OK, I'll mention Steyr.

I have a Steyr GB 9mm with two 18 round magazines, carboard box, IB and cleaning kit. Bought used in 1993. Seldom fired. Extremely accurate.

Not for sale!

Jermtheory

Several gun writers are calling the S&W M&P a DAO. It also is carried with a cocked striker. The trigger pull only releases the cocked striker.

Where do they get DAO?

if the striker is 100% fully cocked then....you got me.

i was under the impression that wasnt the case,that they were similar to the Glock.

rellascout

Go over to the Steyr forum and do a search. You will learn what I already know.

Maybe that S9 was mine because as after my S40 frame cracked I sold it as fast as I could. :)

I used to own 3 Steyrs I wanted to love them but in the end they are not reliable enough for me. I need all my guns to go bang everytime I pull the trigger. :)

Jermtheory

As the M&P slide goes forward, the tail of the striker remains in a partially cocked position. The M&P uses a double-action-only (DAO) trigger that provides a 6.5-pound trigger stroke of 0.30 inches, which completely retracts the striker before tripping the sear. The trigger pull is exactly the same for each shot, providing the legendary consistency and accuracy of the double-action revolver. Another nice touch is a trigger overtravel stop that eliminates overtravel after the trigger trips the sear

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/mp_080806/index2.html

so no,the striker is not fully cocked on the M&P (i assume the same is true of the Steyr).