Why Mauser?

Gewehr98

I'd really liked to have owned the rifle as a complete, WWI Gewehr98.

Especially if it had the original rollercoaster rear sight. But it came to me as nothing more than a stripped receiver and bolt. So I did the next best thing, and built a precision rifle out of it.

Funny thing is, I wanted to put the barreled action into a McMillan Prone stock, but when Fajen was going out of business, they were selling those laminated Ace Varminters for $79.95 each, so I bought two on a whim. The rifle was near completion, so I hastily "borrowed" one of the stocks from storage to do load development and see what the combination of parts and pieces would do. The resulting cloverleaf groups at 200 and 300 yards convinced me not to monkey with that Fajen stock, as they say "don't fix what ain't broke." So I DevCon bedded it, and it stays married to the rifle to this day. :D

You don't know what you're missing until you hit a Texas armadillo in the brown eye as he's ambling away from you at 300 yards. A Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3200fps will scoop that armor completely clean, leaving a pink foam and pretty little copper sparkly bits for several yards downrange from the rocking remains of that "possum on the half shell". Quite literally, the last thing that went through his mind... :eek:

jtv3062

I remember seeing a story about that arisaka on tv the gi chambered it for a 06 and was getting terrible groups with it they recovered the bullets on took it to his gunsmith and the rest posted by jefnvk

Leif

You don't know what you're missing until you hit a Texas armadillo in the brown eye as he's ambling away from you at 300 yards. A Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3200fps will scoop that armor completely clean, leaving a pink foam and pretty little copper sparkly bits for several yards downrange from the rocking remains of that "possum on the half shell". Quite literally, the last thing that went through his mind...

Gewehr98, I'm sooo glad I didn't read that prior to dinner. Your descriptive powers leave me at a loss, sir. :)