Why isn't the 357Mag a std pistol cartridge?

Triad

I think what newcomer was really meaning to ask was why didn't anyone do it in the past. Not that long ago there was no .40 or .357sig and the 9mm was not used much here in the states. I think there would have been a market if it had been done 20-30 yrs ago.

Zundfolge

You don't need a magazine to load through the grip. You could have a forward mounted magazine or box magazine like a Mauser C-96 Broomhandle.

Nope, then its no longer a pistol according to big brother ... then its a short barreled assault rifle. :p

New_comer

You could have a forward mounted magazine or box magazine like a Mauser C-96 Broomhandle.
the thing would be huge. I was thinking in the vicinity of a carry pistol to rival a full size revolver
I think what newcomer was really meaning to ask was why didn't anyone do it in the past.
Right on the money!! :D

another48hrs

You can actually make a pistol with a forward mounted magazine, it just can't have anything you can put your support hand on in the front like a k-grip.

bismark

Let's quit pretending people, a .357 Sig is neither as versitile nor as hot as a .357 Mag, ditto th e10mm vs the 41 Mag. I find that people who are proponents of the 10mm or .357 Sig always pick max loads for their calibers and rather light ones for the Magnums.

Thats's just lame. Just because Carl down the street loaded a 110 grain .50 AE cartridge that went 380 fps doesn't mean that the 9mm is a more effective cartridge.

My Coonan WILL shoot heavier bvullets faster than any current .357 Sig on the market. Deal with it. Buy a 10mm if you want magnum power...the .357 Sig isn't the answer.

Gewehr98

Rimmed centerfire autoloaders need special design attention.

I've got an early S&W Model 52 that runs .38 Special hollow-base wadcutters only. That particular round is an absolute bitch to chamber in an autoloader, because it resembles nothing more than a fired .38 Special case, since the bullet is seated flush with the case mouth. But they chamber and autoload just fine in the old Smith bullseye gun. How'd they do it? A very gradual feed ramp, polished smooth, and a magazine design that won't allow the rims of the top rounds to get behind the rims of the rounds lower in the magazines.

Same goes for my .357 Desert Eagle. (And no, it hasn't jammed on me, Villain, the company is still in business) The M-16 style bolt face of the big gas autopistol has no problem with the rimmed rounds. The magazines don't have problems, either. Not a good concealed-carry gun, though.

The Coonan, especially the shorter Cadet model, is about as small as one wants to get in a .357 Magnum autoloader. I seriously doubt a .357 Sig could hold a candle to it, especially when you run stuff heavier than the Sig's much-vaunted 125gr bullets. ;)

Gewehr98

I noticed you have this thing against Desert Eagles.

From another thread:

Desert Eagle in .50AE? Now there's a real boat anchor!

Then there's this one:

Coonan, Desert Eagle. I believe the original poster was inquiring about guns. Not boat anchors!

So, Villain, what's really the deal with you and the big Israeli-made gas autoloading pistols? Did you get thwacked between the eyes when firing one with a loose grip, so now they're automatically boat anchors?

My big black boat anchor put a bunch of pork tenderloin and bacon in the family freezer earlier this year. Since it loaded .357 Magnum ammo from the magazine, and went "bang" when I squeezed the trigger, I'll categorize it as a gun, thank you.

You may proceed to piss on other people's Wheaties again. I know it bugs you if you can't get the last word in, I'm sure the .450 Marlin heat-treat thread about gave you a fit of apoplexy. I've watched the threads where you stirred the pot. But if you can't say anything nice or at least constructive about other people's choices of firearms, take the high road and don't say anything at all, ok? :mad:

HandgunShooter

The desert eagle is heavy enough to function as an adaquate anchor for small boats in calm water. It has to be admitted that such weight and size must be counted against any pistol.

:D :D :D

coonan357

villain, as a owner and user of the coonan357 I have had no jams to date ,also When I use the 38 special conversion (consisting of a lighter spring and magizine with a spacer in the rear for the shorter Cartridge ) I have not had any problems , its like any other type of 1911 style firearm and has to be kept well lubed ,but the model I own is also a first generation coonan B Model it was made when Dan still owned the company before it went to J&S worldwide (which the quality IMO is lousy )the 357 coonan has a very sharp recoil and muzzle blast due to the lack of a cylinder gap (shooting reloads can get pretty interesting with the flame fronts ) and it is a handful when fired in rapid sucession . I have very large hands and it is still quite a handfull , one of my shooting buds has the desert eagle in 357 and it is a behemoth of a fiream but it litterally takes away all of the recoil .as for the any problems I have yet to have any and I will buy another one if I could find one . as for why they were not more sucessfull I have to say the size of the grip made it unpopular .