Why isn't the 357Mag a std pistol cartridge?

New_comer

Lots of respect for this potent revolver cartridge.

But that's just the point, the 357 magnum has traditionally been a revolver bullet.

I know that IMI's Desert Eagle, and Coonan had successfully released pistols to fire this caliber, so I know it could be done.

So my question: why isn't it a 'routine' pistol-type caliber? A 1911 could easily be adapted to fire it? Why don't they do it? :confused:

Jim Watson

A 1911 CANNOT be easily adapted to fire .357 Magnum. The round is too long for the slide stroke and rimmed to boot. Early Coonans operated like a 1911 with a wide grip frame to take the bigger magazine; likewise LAR Grizzlys. They have the action but are NOT 1911s by any reasonable definition.

ViLLain

There is a 357 Magnum performance cartridge for auto pistols. Its called 357 Sig and is offered through most manufactures.

Mal H

Staff
Though not impossible (Magnum Research did it), large rimmed cartridges aren't easy to use in autoloaders mainly because of the necessity for a magazine. You won't see many semiautos in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, etc.

I'd have to disagree ViLLain, the only true similarity between the .357 Magnum and the .357 SIG is the first 3 digits of the name. Vastly different casing, different caliber, different bullet weight range.

New_comer

It really annoys me that the power of such a potent caliber can even be harnessed by pocket revolvers... :(

Whereas the best minds in the semi-auto industry could not even come out with a regular-sized pistol. The guns that they do produce would always have to be monstrous.

Schuey2002

Isn't the ".357 Sig" really more like a ".355" in diameter? I read somewhere that Sig decided to use the number 357 instead of 355 to help sales. Also, I thought that this article said that they were trying to "borrow" a little of the .357 magnum's reputation and legend... ;)

HandgunShooter

2 Reasons:

1. 357 Magnum is too long and rimmed, which makes it hard to load and extract using autoloader magazine and extractor. So not many designers will be encouraged to design an autopistol dedicated to this round.

2. Its dimensions makes it hard to convert autopistols originally designed to fire classic autopistol ammo to fire it.

Triad

I think HandgunShooter nailed it. To make it would require the manufacturers to build a brand new gun, rather thatn convert a preexisting model. Factor in the unknowns about how many people would actually buy one and you see why they haven't done it.

ViLLain

I'd have to disagree ViLLain, the only true similarity between the .357 Magnum and the .357 SIG is the first 3 digits of the name. Vastly different casing, different caliber, different bullet weight range.

But from a compact firearm, the little Sig cartridge does everything the 357 Magnum will do from a similar size revolver.

And now that "TEN" has been brought into the mix. That is a total ballistic equal to .357 Magnum through the entire power spectrum. There are also other cartridges as well that can be easily used in an auto pistol that actually surpass .357 Magnum performance without the necessity of using a DE jam-o-matic. Cartridges like 9x23 and 40 Super fit in this category. Thirty-eight Casull is another.

Options are out there for those looking for something a little more powerful and different.

spenny

slightly of topic...

how does a semi-auto pistol even work with rimmed rounds?
ive been wondering that ever since i heard about the coonan.

Because it's long and it's rimmed.

If you want an auto cartridge that is in the same realm as the .357 Mag., get yourself a .38 Super.

BrokenArrow

YMMV

The 357 S&M 125 gr Gold Dots were only 15 fps apart from my Glock 32 and Ruger GP100, both w 4 inch bbls. The 357SIG was _faster_ BTW. ;)

glockorama

Mal, I believe ViLLian was comparing ballistics, not dimensions. For all intents and purposes, the 357 sig will do the job of a 357 mag. When you get into that kind of power, your job as the shooter becomes much more important.
Plus, my USP compact will hold 11 rounds. My model 19 only hold six and takes much longer to reload. :D

benEzra

how does a semi-auto pistol even work with rimmed rounds?
Basically just careful attention to magazine design, and make sure the rims are overlapped in the right direction in the magazine when you load it.

They are trickier to get to work because the rim sticking out can hang up on things, but it can be done.

BTW, the standard Russian machine gun cartridge (7.62x54R) is rimmed, and they get it to work in full-auto weapons.

bE

Joe Demko

Rimmed cartridges will work perfectly well in an autoloader. Tons of .22lr get run through automatics every day. Lack of demand is a more probable reason for the scarcity of .357 magnum automatics.

7th Fleet

Due to the length of the .357 magnum round, the grip of any semiauto pistol chambered for it would be to thick lengthwise...

7th

Pilot

"Due to the length of the .357 magnum round, the grip of any semiauto pistol chambered for it would be to thick lengthwise..."

You don't need a magazine to load through the grip. You could have a forward mounted magazine or box magazine like a Mauser C-96 Broomhandle.

glockorama

I think C.R.Sam pretty well summed it up. With high power cartridges like the 357sig, .40, and 9mm+p, available, there is no real market. What's the point?