Why is 6.5 creedmoor ammo so expensive now?

TruthTellers

Right now only the most popular stuff is getting made in large enough quantity to keep prices from going into the realm of ridiculous. This is why I'm such a proponent of keeping it simple with rifle calibers. 6.5 and 6mm Creed are fine, but they can't touch .308, .30-06, .223/556, .30-30, and the Russian calibers in terms of price and popularity.

The last ammo shortage 2008. Taught me a lesson. This current ammo shortage and being prepared for isn't hurting me yet. Thinking back. My first purchase of Federal 223 FMJ was 1.99 per 20 rd box. I have a Rem Model 7 that consumes such cartridges for vermin taking.

darkgael

Reloading = independence from the market. Yes, the setup is not cheap but in the long run you are well ahead…affordable shooting, accurate ammo.
If you want to be even more independent of the market….get yourself a flintlock, a mold for casting lead round balls and make your own black powder.

Road_Clam

101combat.vet said:
I reload and save a lot of money.

No you don't, you're just able to shoot more, and have the comfort of independence (as long as your stocked up well on reloading components).

stagpanther

You think 6.5 creedmoor is bad? 6.5 PRC has surpassed 50 BMG in cost--if you can find it. It's almost tripled in price in the last year and almost quadrupled in the past two years.

Last edited:

603Country

The OP should contact Custom Reloads of Dallas and get Chad to load him some ammo. It’ll be match grade. As for cost…? Talk to Chad.

I’ve been working on 223 reloads this morning. Since I long ago paid off the gear and components, my reloads are rather inexpensive, but like somebody else said, I don’t do this to save money. I do this to have ammo. Been reloading since about 1980.