Why Glock grips has to be bulky and angled?

stinkeypete

The whole point of Glock grips is they are Glock grips. Grab any Glock, it feels familiar.

High Valley Ranch shows you they are made of a polymer that is easy to modify with courage, skill, patience and simple hand tools.

I am not a Glock fan, but I respect them as a company. They make pistols that all basically feel very similar. They all operate effectively the same. They are reliable and sturdy. Their marketing success... well, it succeeds.

If you want a different plastic frame, there are so many to chose from or get out the sandpaper and Devon!

One thing you’ll never get is a 1911 trigger... so...

9x19

Had to double check the post dates... thought at first it had to be a necro-thread.

Nope, just somebody who's about 35 years too late. :D

TunnelRat

Had to double check the post dates... thought at first it had to be a necro-thread.

Nope, just somebody who's about 35 years too late. :D

In his defense the OP has admittedly been out of the shooting scene for about 30 years. He’s now discovering things and hearing complaints that many here have heard for years or decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmr40

When the 1911 was introduced it had a flat mainspring housing. Soldiers during WW-1 complained that the gun didn't point naturally and shot high. During the 1920's the arched mainspring housing was introduced giving the 1911 a grip closer to the Luger.

When Glock introduced their pistols the 1911 was still in use in the military, with the arched mainspring housing. Glock copied that same grip angle.

But since Glocks were introduced most 1911 shooters have gone back to flat mainspring housings. The general feeling is that a straighter grip angle is better for target shooting, the more angled grip is better for combat shooting.

The only people who have trouble with Glocks grip are those used to a 1911 with a flat mainspring housing. New shooters given a Glock as their 1st gun find them to point and feel better than anything else.

UncleEd

The flat back strap tends to allow
shots to go low. The natural
wrist position is to be slightly
bent downward and an arch
corrects that. Shooters who
like the flat back strap learn
to straighten their wrist for
an even sight plane.

The flat back strap is not the
norm on most pistols or
revolvers.

To see what I mean about the
wrist, close your eyes and thrust
the arm out straight. Then note
how wrist is slightly downward.

JDBerg

HighValleyRanch: said:
You are aware that the 4th and 5th generation glocks come with replaceable backstraps aren't you? So it's just because you can only get the 3rd gen in CA that you would have to mod the frame

I have Grip Force Adapters on my Gen3 17 & 19. I have large beavertail back straps on my 19X and Gen4 21. For me, these accessories cure the slide bite problem that I have in general with Glocks. But I have found that these devices also do help to point the guns properly to a target, no doubt in my mind about that.

jmr40 said:
When the 1911 was introduced it had a flat mainspring housing. Soldiers during WW-1 complained that the gun didn't point naturally and shot high. During the 1920's the arched mainspring housing was introduced giving the 1911 a grip closer to the Luger.

"low"

And the arched mainspring housing wasn't meant to emulate the Luger. At the time, U.S. soldiers were transitioning from U.S. revolvers, and the intent was simply to raise the natural point of aim to more closely approximate the NPOA of the revolvers.