Why Glock grips has to be bulky and angled?

Alan0354

There are so so many complains about the grip of the Glocks are too bulky and at a steep angle. I look at my Glock 26(I am sure the other models are the same), the back of the lower part of the grip below the pin is EMPTY, just an empty cavity. Why Glock keep that part? Below is the picture I put in a few lines to show how easy to make the grip less bulky AND make the grip less angle. It will not affect any of the moving parts and the critical parts at all. Those of you that have like Glock 19 or others can easily verify what I said, just look into the bottom of the grip and you should see it.

attachment.php

You see, line (1) is the angle of the back of the grip that gives the steep angle everyone complains about. line (2) shows the whole section inside is empty and if you trim the grip following line (2) and modify the front of the grip a little, you can make the grip much straighter like everyone else. Less bulk, straighter angle WITHOUT affecting anything of the function of the gun.

Am I missing something? Anyone actually told Glock? This is so simple it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. I am pretty sure I am right. What do you think?

Attachments

• Glock grip.jpg
    Glock grip.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 536

Alan0354

But anyone actually contact Glock? It's such an easy fix it's not funny!!! I don't want anyone to heat and reshape the polymer frame, after all, it's a very critical part of the gun, I won't want to risk the structural integrity of the frame by heating and reshaping it. The true fix has to be from Glock to change the mold....AND it's a piece of cake. And the after market frames are no better. They got to hear about the complains. If they make after market frames for Glock, why don't they do something about this.

It doesn't have to change the angle of the magazine, so it won't affect the function of the gun. I know guns are not rocket science, but I expect Glock and those after market people can do better than this after 30+ years of complains. Sometimes I question the competency of those so called "engineers" .

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

I believe the hollow portion was designed to absorb recoil. You can reduce the grip like your drawing either DIY or have a grip reduction by a reputable company. There are various ways to accomplish this. One is the heat method and using a candle to soften the back and squish it down some. Risky in that you can deform the mag well. The second method is to fill and then grind. I've done this myself to the Glock, Shield and Kahrs. Simply use devcon black plastic mender. The third method I've heard of is to actual cut a V in the back and then heat the plastic and bond it back together, leaving a smaller hollow.

You idea is decades old!LOL It's certainly not novel. The other reason the Glock is so thick is that they use plastic magazines which require a wider magwell.

I don't want anyone to heat and reshape the polymer frame, after all, it's a very critical part of the gun,
Sig has the better idea with the 320 in changeable grip frames and the trigger module as the serialized part.
But it's not rocket science. I was one of the earlier people to chop my glock 19 to a 26, and then over a decade later reconvert it back to a 19 by adding the lower part back on by using a sleeve and plastic compound and it's as strong as the original quite a number of years now.

Alan0354

It would be a whole hell of a lot more effective to eliminate that rigid part and replace with a thin layer of foam rubber. That's no excuse for that. The polymer is so rigid it is NOT going to help absorbing the recoil. If you want it round out a little, that's easy, still save a lot of space and straighten the grip.

I know, I cannot be the first one that come up, it's so damn simple. I don't even care to take credit or anything, nothing to feel proud. Just reading day in and day out people whining about the grip the grip!!! I am not even complain about it.

No, I am looking at the magazine in front of me, the magazine has nothing to do with it.

Bottom line, 30+ years of whining, still nothing gets done. They demorats?

Last edited:

Alan0354

I don't have to even read, I believe you. Like I added, this is so simple I don't even care to claim credit even if I were the first one. This is so simple, I have much bigger project and designs going right now. Just keep reading people whining and whining and nothing gets done!!! Guns are not even complicated. I really question the competency of those so called "engineers".

Still the question, why nobody do anything?

Mosin44az

I think Glock knows about your thickness complaint. They have introduced the SF series, for instance. And they just like that grip angle. If you’re used to it, other grip angles can feel weird. My P320 always “ hits low” for one example.

HighValleyRanch

You are aware that the 4th and 5th generation glocks come with replaceable backstraps aren't you? So it's just because you can only get the 3rd gen in CA that you would have to mod the frame.

Alan0354

That I do not know, then why people still complaining? It's the constant whining that got to me. Oh the grip is too big!!! The angle is too steep!!! The magazine release is only for right hand!! The recoil is too sharp!!! Can you imagine the Duke complained about his guns? Get use to it, if not, do something about it.

Alan0354

I think Glock knows about your thickness complaint. They have introduced the SF series, for instance. And they just like that grip angle. If you’re used to it, other grip angles can feel weird. My P320 always “ hits low” for one example.

I never complain, never on grip size, never on recoil, I was a left hand shooter for a while, never complain about guns are designed for right hand. You just learn to make do!!!

To me, it's the size, the weight, the reliability and the quality that matters, everything else, just learn to live with it. I just bought the Glock 26, the grip is uncomfortable as I have small hands. I never complain about it, hell if I were to do it again, I would still buy the 26. Tough it out!!!

I don't care about the angle, you aim for a split second before shooting, don't just go bang bang bang like in movies or tv shows!!!

JohnKSa

Administrator
I know, I cannot be the first one that come up, it's so damn simple.
You aren't. Some people do choose to do it. Some have others do it for them.

A lot don't because they like the grips the way they are, or because it's not worth the time/hassle/cost to make the change.

Glock has also introduced different grip frames with grip inserts that change the back of the grip a bit. I have one. I use the insert that makes it match the original Glock grip because that's what works for me.
Still the question, why nobody do anything?
Some people do.
That I do not know, then why people still complaining?
Some people like to complain. It's not enough for some that the selection of firearms is better than it's ever been. It seems that some feel like it would be better if a manufacturer would change an existing product line to meet their personal requirements than it would be to look around at the huge variety of firearms on the market and pick one that works for them.

RETG

Pretty simple thing to correct. Don't like a Glock, don't purchase one. Plenty of great gun manufacturers out there. And from personal experience, if issued one, you can train yourself to shoot it quite well.

jr24

JohnKSa said:
Some people like to complain. It's not enough for some that the selection of firearms is better than it's ever been. It seems that some feel like it would be better if a manufacturer would change an existing product line to meet their personal requirements than it would be to look around at the huge variety of firearms on the market and pick one that works for them

So much truth here, there are so many other options just as reliable, accurate and light as Glocks that there really isn't any reason to complain, just find a competitor that fits you and move on.

The hump does get you to cock your wrist forward a bit more (intentional design choice from what I understand) which, in my humble opinion, when learned/adapted to point better and quicker than anything else, and do help keep recoil down.

Not everyone wants them, and they are too big for some hands, very true, and luckily there are piles of other options.

Hawg

So much truth here, there are so many other options just as reliable, accurate and light as Glocks that there really isn't any reason to complain, just find a competitor that fits you and move on.

The hump does get you to cock your wrist forward a bit more (intentional design choice from what I understand) which, in my humble opinion, when learned/adapted to point better and quicker than anything else, and do help keep recoil down.

Not everyone wants them, and they are too big for some hands, very true, and luckily there are piles of other options.
The hump on the grip makes me shoot very high when just point shooting. I had a Glock once and didn't like anything about it. My wife just bought a G48 and it is basically a thin 19. It feels better in the hand and seems to have a better trigger than mine did but it's still something like 6 pounds and has that godawful long take up. There are many better choices out there. Don't like Glock, don't buy one. Just don't expect them to redesign their guns because you don't like it.

amd6547

I like the Glock grip just fine. Whether it's my Gen 3 G17 or G26, the grip works great for me.
I will say, I bought a Gen4 G22 police surplus for a bargain price, and I find I prefer the Gen4 grip texture and no backstrap. Not enough to trade in my Gen 3's, though

AK103K

I think a lot of the complaints are just lack of experience with them, and that goes for pretty much everything too. Spend some quality time with any of them, and they all seem to shoot about the same. At least to me anyway.

Most of the complaints I see are from people who dont like them, and/or havent bothered to really learn to shoot them. Like anything else, you have to put in the time and effort to see the light. It doesnt matter what the gun is, its rarely the guns fault, if you cant shoot it. ;)

I came from the 1911 era and was a Copper devotee and big believer in them being the "only" gun worth anything. When the Glocks first came out, I felt the same as many and bought into the whole "thing", that they were fat, blocks, didnt point right, terrible triggers, etc., and were junk to boot. All, like most at the time, based on zero experience with one.

Its truly amazing how your perceptions change, when you actually bother to put in the time and effort to figure things out. :)

I have and shoot all sorts of autos and revolvers and on a regular basis. The more I shot and learned the different guns as I came across them, the more I came to realize, if there were problems, it was rarely the guns that were the problem, and it was simply my lack of knowledge/experience of that gun, that was usually the cause. Once I figured things out, and got comfortable with them, the problems magically went away.

Ive been carrying Glocks on a daily basis, and shooting them a couple of times a week, for a little over a decade now. They are the guns I shoot the most these days because they are what I carry and depend on. Now that I know them, I have no real complaints. If I had to pick one, its the texture finish on the grips. I really like the RTF2, but it seems it was too aggressive for a lot of people. Luckily, stippling easily solves that though, and its very easily done by yourself.

Funny how once you learn their trigger, its not a problem. Once your brain gets the "subconscious" indexes it needs to allow you to make good hits, with or without sights, they just happen. The grips arent "fat", and actually thinner than my 1911's and a few others in most cases. And actually, I find most all of them to be very comfortable. The few that annoyed me were the ones that were more on the thin side, and didnt have enough "swell" to fill my hands. The SIG P239, and a couple of 1911's come to mind right off there.

I can point shoot my Glocks, SIG's, Beretta's, HP's, S&W revolvers, ect, switching up from gun to gun, and have no troubles doing so. Ive shot each of them, and others like them, enough that I (and my subconscious brain) know what to expect when Im shooting them. Im also shooting "them" and not trying to compare them to, or try to shoot them, like anything else. Im shooting "that" specific gun when Im shooting it. If you want things to work, there isnt any other way.

Same basic thing as shooting AK's and AR's. Youre shooting what youre shooting, so just shoot the gun.

ss1/G8RFAN

It’s angle is designed on purpose. You look at polymer 80 frames and the grip angle is 18 degrees yet with factory mags, the geometry of the magazine is still correct for perfect function. The “gap” is still there to because if the grip were the same dimensions as cross section of the magazine, it would feel like an AK grip which wouldn’t lend to a good two handed grip.

GarandTd

There are too many alternatives out there to dwell on why a particular company does what they do. If you like it get it, if not, move on.

sevt_chevelle

So you are complaining about people complaining. Good God, who cares!!!!
Am one of those whom don't like glocks, I think the grip sucks feels like a 4x2, finger grooves on guns in general suck, among other things. What do I do about it? Buy something else and move along with life.

It's complete BS that I can't get my golf clubs in my Lambo, someone should call them and let them know of such an asinine design flaw.