Why do you own a Beretta 92?

Pacman

Don't be dissing the Taurus PT92. I bought mine in 1986, and I still can shoot more accurately with that gun than most of the others I have. I could never get used to DA only triggers and love the crisp single action pull of the PT92. This is one that's in my night stand ready to go.

sigp226wgerman

I prefer the P226 because of the safety/decocker location on the Beretta and the grip. The 92 is not a bad gun though, and it can be had for less than a SIG.

Sevens

I have to wholeheartedly agree that the brushed stainless that Beretta calls Inox is absolutely gorgeous.

rock185

Out of curiosity, I bought my first 92 just after the US adopted the pistol. It was a very fine pistol IMHO. The slide/frame fit had that glass-on-glass feel similar to a SIG P210, finish was flawless, as was reliability. After satisfying my curiosity, I traded the 92 on the US trials runner-up SIG P226. That, and future SIGs, fit me better than the Beretta 92 series. I don't objectively know that SIGs are "better" than Berettas, but I became much more of a SIG guy than a Beretta guy over the years. Still, I recently acquired an unfired 92 manufactured in '87, just because and in spite of my SIGness;-)

PS, I prefer the regular black plastic grips...

LockedBreech

I own my 92FS because it's a simply wonderful pistol by almost any measure.

Not a fan of Taurus, at all, but I don't get anything out of crapping on them, so I hope those who managed to get working ones enjoy them.

TheTurtle101

Why do I own one? I own way more than one, actually. I own more M9s than 92s, though. I shoot the m9 better than anything else out there. That's my main reason. I found that the quality of the taurus to be 'meh' at best. I am one of the few people who really prefer slide mounted safeties as well. I carry one daily IWB and it's invisible. I've never had a failure of any kind out of so many rounds I couldn't possibly begin to count. I run mine wet and maintain them religiously and replace parts accordingly. I would probably take the pt92 if someone gave it to me, however. I'd need to find a way to make m9 mags work though :D The Beretta 92 is like the 1911 to me, a wonderful classic that will remain to be used for years to come.

dgludwig

QUOTE: What JohnKSa said
John summed it up well

I was just going to say that. :) Can't add anything to what JohnKSa said, except to say that I've always thought it to be a good idea to own weapons akin to what the U.S. military issues. Plus, I couldn't resist the price ($429.99) for a new Model 92FS "Police Model" (coming with 3 magazines) a few years back.

Quentin2

Though I do like the Beretta 92 I never got around to buying one. I doubt I ever will since I have other 9mms that are quite serviceable in their own way.

Oh, does an old P-38 count or is that just in horseshoes! :D

Pilot

I avoided buying a Beretta 92 series from the time they were adopted by the U.S. military, and then seen in many action movies. I tend to avoid the latest and greatest, and soldier on with the old, tried, and true to the point of attempting to make the obsolete better than the new to make some kind of silly statement. To me, the big Beretta was just another fad, or fanboy gun. Also, I don't like slide mounted safeties that work backwards.

Almost 25 years later, I had another opportunity to shoot one, as a friend bought an M9. Hmmm. It was accurate, reliable, and the recoil impulse was straight back into my arm. Muzzle flip was even less than my CZ-75's. That week I went out and bought a new 92FS, for a really great price. It goes to the range with me every time.

Jack19

Accurate, not as hard to conceal as you might think, 15+1, fits my hand, and I'm ready to play if a hockey game breaks out.

JohnKSa

Administrator
To me, the big Beretta was just another fad, or fanboy gun.
The Beretta 92 had been around for more than a decade before being selected by the U.S. military. There's no doubt that its selection increased its popularity, but it was well thought of long before that point.

bryco32

I don't actually own a Beretta 92 per say but close enough I guess.

I had a chance to shoot a 92fs at the range one year back and fell in live it with it. I Am a die hard wheel gun guy but it just felt right. At the time I couldn't ever afford one. One day while cruising and wishing on Guns america i noticed a Tisas 92c that is a ATI Branded Beretta 92fc clone. It was dirt cheap. I snagged it and have been happy ever since. They shortly discontinued this gun after I bought mine and they went into full 1911 clone production. I was glad to have gotten it. I dont know how many 115 fp handloads with bullseye have been through this gun. I assume thousands. I can honestly say it has never faulted. Cheap GI mags work great in it and the Mecar stock mag is great as well. It doesn't have the nice dark blueing that the real 92's have but the fit and finish is fantastic.

Now that I am more financially stable I have had the chance to get a 92fs but I think I will just stick with this for the time being until I can get a real nice one.

I love the 92 platform.

Attachments

• 92c.jpg
    92c.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 20

JohnO

It's a very sexy looking pistol. That's expected, it's Italian:D In addition, my M9 is very accurate and reliable.

MrSharp

Looks good, shoots good, feels good. People complain about the size + weight, but if you run out of ammo you have a really $$$ club or rock you can throw.

jrhilde

One more point in favor of the 92FS as opposed to the Taurus-- [ I have both ], is the slide mounted safety really helps to get a solid grip on the slide to rack it for the first round if the nerves in the left hand aren't as strong as before due to an injury. I've lost about half the gripping power I had normally so having those projections at the rear of the slide really help ----John

dgludwig

The downside to a slide-mounted safety becomes manifest when you swipe the top of the slide in order to clear a "stove-pipe" malfunction. In doing so, it's possible to inadvertently re-engage the safety. This malady is not unique to the Model 92 but can occur with any pistol having a similar slide-mounted safety. I know it can befall Smith & Wesson "Third Generation" pistols because it happened on occasion to more than a couple of officers (including myself) during re-qualification courses of fire.
I'm a big fan and advocate of Smith and Beretta autos and good training and much practice will obviate this unlikely (but possible) short-coming. It's just something to be aware of.

pete2

I bought mine to shoot idpa , Glock is too ugly. A SS 92FS is a nice looking gun. So far the only malfunction I've had was a slidelock due to my left hand being in the wrong place, many rounds down range with it. Just wish it was a G so it wouldn't have the safety.

98 220 swift

ap30012_zpsqc25feb2.jpg

I bought this beauty about 12 years ago for $400 at a lgs. It is a early Italian made 92fs inox. It was very reliable. I never could shoot it very well. It went through countless WWB 100 round boxes when they was 10.98 at Walmart. I was new to handguns at the time. I traded it for a new Berretta stampede in 45 lc that I could also could not hit anything with it also got traded.

Wish I had this one back now I am a better pistol shot. I may pick up another someday if the price is right. Unfortunatly it probably wont be a Italian made inox though.