Why do you own a Beretta 92?

Z400ACDC

I bought my Taurus PT92 in 1990. I just thought it was a great looking pistol and dependable. It was a bedside or truck gun. It has served me well. I have always wanted a Beretta to compare it to and I bought a new 92 fs Beretta this week. I still like the safety better on the Taurus. I have a hammer spring on order to get the trigger SA pull down some. After a good cleaning, I gave the Beretta a good workout. It shot about the same as my old Taurus. I like shooting these full size works of art!

Last edited:

Prof Young

Partly because I got a good deal . . .

I own a 9mm semi auto mostly for fun, but it is also one of my home defense guns. My first 9mm was a hi-point and it actually worked well and was relatively accurate. I decided to upgrade and did my research landing on the Beretta 92fs as a high quality work horse in the 9mm semi auto genre in a price range I felt comfortable with. Shortly after making that decision one came up for sale in the local "shopper." For $600 I got a nearly new Beretta 92fs, soft case, holster and three mags one of which holds 18 rounds. At first I was consistently shooting low and to the left, but have learned that it's me not the guns and am getting better about getting smaller groups in the center of the target at 10 and 15 yards. It shoots anything I feed it. Beretta had 30 round mags on sale and I got one of those, also just for fun. And it is fun, but you can really blow through the ammo fa$t if you want to. That's why I own a Beretta 92fs.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

franco45

I just picked up a used 92fs in a trade. I am very happy with the fit and finish. It is very accurate and reliable. I think I'll keep it.

TailGator

Beautiful pistol aesthetically and functionally. Light recoil, tight groups. The grip is big, but it somehow feels right and good even though my hands aren't that big. I'm very fond of mine. A D spring is a nice modification, but it is a quality firearm at a reasonable price.

WVsig

Beautiful Italian classic that i was able to get at a great price. I could not pass it up. It is a soft accurate shooter and a pleasure to shoot. I always have considered them a elegant pistol.

rt11002003

I'm a little off the thread. I have a Wilson Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical ON ORDER. Always liked the look and feel of those guns. Saw someone's post here the other day showing the group they had shot. That reinforced my belief I made a good choice ordering a Brigadier. A bit pricy and they're backed ordered a couple of months. But, that's ok, meanwhile I have a Beretta 84FS to play with, along with my other guns. If I run across a good deal on a standard Beretta 92, I'll be tempted to buy it, too.

Mike38

Back 20 some years ago I just got into handguns, had been a long gun only guy up to that. A Glock 17 was my first. Not sure if I liked it though. Saw a great deal on a used Glock 19, so I bought it. For some reason I could shoot the 19 a bit better, but still wasn’t happy with my performance. So I picked up a Beretta 92FS. Instantly my group sizes got cut in half. More practice and a few mods on the Beretta for accurizing and I was very happy. Needless to say the Glocks are long gone, but the Beretta has remained. It’s still the pistol I shoot most, even more than my 1911s. It’s also my “go to” pistol just in case.

pblanc

I had always admired the looks of the Beretta 90 series but had not really considered buying one until I was looking a some pistols in a local gun shop and the guy behind the counter put one in my hand.

I have slightly larger than average hands for an adult male and the grip of the Beretta 92FS just seemed to fill my hand perfectly. I was able to buy a Police Special 92FS with Trijicon night sights new in a cardboard box for around $600 a few years back.

My Beretta has been absolutely reliable and has never failed to chamber, extract, or eject any 9 mm ammo I have put in it. The big, all-metal pistol absorbs recoil very well and provides a nice, long sight radius. The pistol is more accurate than I will ever be. Flush-fit 18 round Mec-Gar mags are widely available and the 20 round Mec-Gar mags extended only a little below the magazine well. Twenty plus one rounds of high-quality JHP 9 mm is quite a bit of fire power.

Last edited:

Bentonville

The 92FS cycles like it is on ball bearings. It is as accurate as can be. My first time out and many times subsequently I shot a cloverleaf at fifteen yards with my first three rounds. Thousands of rounds and I've never had a malfunction of any sort using most major brands of ammo at 115 and 124 gr. It's easy to maintain. The D spring improves the double and single action trigger pull and it's cheap to make that mod. The mecgar high capacity magazines are reliable and tough and inexpensive. I guess that covers most aspects of ownership.

WVsig

I don't trust any Taurus pistol for one thing.

I think that is overly harsh. I believe their 92 clone is a very good gun. One of the best that they make. I personally prefer their safety/decocker location.

Captains1911

I bought a slightly used 92FS just before Xmas because I wanted a SA/DA pistol in my collection, the military significance, and I just always admired the aesthetics.

Mastrogiacomo

Sicilian American so it was a natural choice. Hong Kong film fanatic so second natural choice, easy to clean and shoot accurate, perfect home defender choice.

Laura

Roughedge

I had one for about a week and traded it for a Taurus PT100 in 40 cal., much better gun (IMO) but this was when the first came out. Maybe they improved since then.

pblanc

What grips to you think look and feel the best on the 92? I thought about the factory wood grips.

I had Beretta factory wood grips on my 92FS and I liked the appearance but I didn't find that they provided a real secure grip. They are also thicker than the stock plastic grips and made the trigger reach for the DA trigger a bit awkward.

I have since swapped them out for VZ G10 tactical slants which provide a very secure grip. I think the "Black Cherry" faux wood VZ grips look better than the Beretta Walnut grips.

saleen322

I bought one because it met the CMP rules requirements. I shot a 1911 but thought I would try something different. The original barrel in mine shot no better than just okay so I got a KKM. Whole different story! It is a keeper now.