Why do you cast, or why dont you cast?

Lavid2002

I tumble live rounds all the time...im not worried about it. Just wondered if tumbling live lead heads would make a difference. Obviously if I had something funky like a .308 boolit load with some of the lube grooves exposed I would have a problem. But I dont see one with regular loads with boolits. Is there one?

Ed_

Ya know what ?? I think I shoot so I can cast & reload , no I cast so shootin will be cheaper ,NO I cast so I can get styles of bullets I want !!!

The heck with it MY NAME IS GP100man & I`M ADDICTED TO ANYTHING DEALIN WITH FIREARMS !!!

TOO MUCH TIME !!! Just cut the TV off for a week & we`ll see

I watch the news ,Supranos & lock & load thursdays , couple of movies with the girls a month , That`s it !

What GP100man said to the tee except:
I watch news, the golf channel, & Wednesday night at the range. Thats scary you must be my long lost brother. OMG I even have a GP100...

m&p45acp10+1

Let's see here. I started casting a couple of months ago. I started because:
1 I do not make a lot of money. Most of that goes to rent, bills, truck payment, and food. Not to mention that I have a girlfriend that likes to shoot as much as I do. What is left is not much.
2 I like to shoot a lot. (Due to what is writen in #1 affording to do otherwise just would not be possible.) I picked up brass at the range for a year, a 1 quart freezer bag or so at a time. I was given a tumbler, I sorted, tumbled, bagged, and labled the brass. I traded that for a Lee Breech lock Challenger kit. I started reloading. I had a lot of ammo, yet having to buy bullets was difficult.
3 I have a former roomie that works at a tire shop. I did not buy any molds at first. When he saved me 3 buckets full. I used 2 old iron skillets. 1 10 inch to melt with. one 8 inch for a mold. I did a detail job on a car and made enough spare cash to buy 2 molds. \
4 I can not shoot a lot, spend very little, and have some cash left to take my girfriend out to dinner.:D

Rangefinder

As I've already stated---it's fun, and it's cost effective. I now have several loads worked up for my AK that put the price of shooting it back down where it use to be before the cost of ammo went insane---around 8 cents a pop. That's roughly what the powder, gas checks, and primers break down to---the lead I get for free. Plus--do you know how satisfying it is to be one step closer to NOT having to rely on available components? I have seven different firearms now that I will never have to buy another bullet for unless I WANT to. I like that.

salvadore

"I didn't; I don't; I don't plan to

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can buy superb yet affordable lead bullets from Penn Bullets and Meister.
For certain applications I can buy Beartooth, and Cast Performance, Oregon Trail, or Leadheads, or Lyman, or a million others.

I can buy them easier than make them."

That's very true, and you can buy complete cartridges easier than you can make them too.

TXGunNut

I couldn't buy bullets for my BPCR that worked as well as I thought they should. Fascinating process, wish I'd been forced into it many years ago. Work in the automotive business so WW's no biggie.

CrustyFN

Hi my name is Rusty and I'm a castaholic. :D

I cast because of the fun factor. I enjoy it as much as shooting and reloading. One of the best parts is always having bullets around ready to load. The money I save isn't a bad thing either.

ry%3D400

Lavid2002

I started casting, its awesome.

Thanks for all the input.

I wonder what the soccer-mom driver (The one this ww lead came from) would say if she knew that lead from her fine automobile was being chucked down range at about 900 fps :D

-Dave

hoytinak

I don't cast or even reload at all that matter. I tried reloading for a little while but just didn't get into it and gave my reloading stuff to my father. For me it just wasn't worth my time and the saving's wasn't enough to justify my time either. I know alot of people that don't care about the savings but do it just for the fun of it, as it's just another hobby for them.....I'm not one of those people. I'd rather just go to the store and buy my factory ammo.

Lavid2002

Thats the other thing, if I was only doing it for the savings...this would suck. But its fun too. If I outgrow it someday I will sell the equipment and move on. But its fun for now, and I get to save money, AND I get to shoot a lot. Whats not to like?

:D

-Dave

sc928porsche

How much you save when reloading really depends on what cartridge you are loading. Factory ammo for something like a 300WM runs in the the 30+ dollar range. When you can load premium bullets with better balistics than factory for about 12 dollars, it dosnt take long to pay for your equipment.

Second point is that once you have the equipment, about all you have to do to change cartridges is to purchace a set of dies.

Third point is what would be refered to as obsolete cartridges. They cant be purchaced any longer, but some can be made from other exhisting ones.

Lavid2002

I know there are a couple of boolits in there with some wrinkled lube grooves, these guys are getting the alox anyways though. I loaded up 140 of these bad boys in front of some wolf primers, and 6 grains of unique. Cant wait to shoot my first pistol reloads!