Why do we obscure serial #s in our firearms pics?

HoraceHogsnort

"I have original sales receipts for every firearm I have ever purchased (including the ones lost in a catastrophic landslide, that I miraculously survived; and including all firearms that have been sold/traded)."

That's pretty much what I've done, it only makes sense with the kind of nonsense we've seen from the BATF over the years.

DogoDon

Make sure you also wipe your finger prints from your gun before photographing it and posting the pic, or someone might use them to make a rubber glove with your finger prints molded into it, and use the glove to commit a crime, thereby framing you and getting off scot free. ;)

DD

The most logical explanation I have heard came from a poster on these boards. His pictures of his guns were so well done that people started putting his pictures on gunbroker.com as representations of their gun. Normally he includes a watermark and an obscured SN on his pics now.

Doodlebugger45

Make sure you also wipe your finger prints from your gun before photographing it and posting the pic, or someone might use them to make a rubber glove with your finger prints molded into it, and use the glove to commit a crime, thereby framing you and getting off scot free.

Hmmm... I never thought of that one! Up until that post I just figured people were worried about nothing, but this makes me think. :D

silentargus

I can think of two reasons not to reveal my serial #s... first is the whole bit about trolls reporting guns stolen that were never theirs in the first place, or selling them, and whatever else.

Second, though, is that in *certain* states these serial #s do constitute identifying information. In NJ, your handgun's serials can be linked directly back to you, since we have handgun registration. I would no more want to post my serials online than I would want to hand out my social security or credit card #s... because in somebody's database somewhere, that number is listed right under my name and address, and could lead an unscrupulous individual to further personal information that could enable them to make life very miserable for me.

TXAZ

In addition, I'd add that if you've been a victim of identity theft / borrowing / mistake, it's very reasonable to restrict any linkages that don't have an upside for yourself.

Peetza, did the second watcher start watching you yet? ;)

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
silentargus said:
Second, though, is that in *certain* states these serial #s do constitute identifying information. In NJ, your handgun's serials can be linked directly back to you,...

By who?

My handguns can be linked to me too... but only by the state. It's not like there's some registry that any Joe Schmoe can just enter a firearm serial number and find out who I am and where I live.

I have never heard of a single verifiable example of a serial number being "stolen" off the internet and being used illegitimately. Some guy having a gun that had a serial that had been reported stolen doesn't mean anything. The person who reported the gun stolen could have made an error on the serial number, there could have been an error entering the number in the computer, the person could have "made up" a serial number HOPING he'd get someone's gun some day, etc, etc...

Unless it can be traced to a verifiable actual internet photo that was KNOWN to be used in a bad way, I call it all bunk and paranoia.

Besides which, the very fact that handguns in particular are "traceable" in some cases makes me care even less about the number being revealed. The FFL where I did the transfer has the 4473, the company that shipped it to him has my name as the "ship to", the county sheriff has it listed on my permit, the state police have it listed in their registry. Anyone claiming ownership would be in deep doo-doo in no time.