Why do we obscure serial #s in our firearms pics?

Vt.birdhunter

Ive never been certain about this, but why do we hide our serial numbers when discussing/photographing firearms?

Can someone else claim ownership with the serial #?
Can someone falsely claim a firearm is stolen?

TY for the info.

Skans

I never worry about obscuring the serial number, but I know many folks do.

When I've asked this, I get answers ranging from:

"It's not a good idea to help the government create a registry of firearms..."
"someone could claim it was stolen....."
"its like giving out your social security number....."

I don't worry about that kind of stuff.

TXAZ

I look at it from a slightly different perspective:
What good does it do me by including a serial number in a weapons picture?
None that I see, with the exception of showing the overall condition to a prospective buyer.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I consider it paranoia.

There's a theory that someone could duplicate the serial number on a crime gun or claim ownership of the firearm.

I've never heard even a rumor of a case where such a thing has happened. Plus even if it did, proving that you are the rightful owner of the gun or that it was not used to kill someone in Baltimore while you live in Las Vegas would be an easy task.

There is no "benefit" to having the serial number in photos except for the fact that it requires some level of effort to remove it and I personally feel no compunction to go to that effort for no legitimate reason.

Besides which, there is software available that can "undo" your removal, which seems just as likely to me as someone trying to use the number in the first place, near zero.

Besides which, even if there were actual, verifiable cases of deliberate misuse of a serial number, there are SO MANY tens of thousands, probably millions, of pictures which include the serial number on the internet that the odds of yours ever being used are near zero.

FrankenMauser

Besides which, there is software available that can "undo" your removal, which seems just as likely to me as someone trying to use the number in the first place, near zero.

That depends on what type of file the image is, how it was modified, and how it was saved.

If you use a 'blur' tool in Photoshop or Photo Impression, it can be reversed for almost all file types.

If you draw over the serial number with MS Paint, and save the file as a bitmap (.bmp) or JPEG (.jpg/.jpeg), it can't be reversed.

TXAZ

Highvel,
you're absolutely right! The guy watching me just told me he had to move over to double team peetzakilla. If I hadn't lined my hat with aluminum foil and flashing LED's he'd still be here.:D

SPUSCG

I dont my camera aint exactly good enough to pick em up unless i zoom on it but even if it was I wouldn't care.

KennyFSU

Besides states that require registration of firearms, the only other way I see someone linking a serial number to an owner is if the owner purchased it at a store.

jmr40

The most likely scam works like this. You post a photo of your gun on the net with the SN showing. A dishonset person could report a break in at his home and report several guns as stolen. He is then able to report a full description of the guns with complete SN's to both the police and his insurance company. The plan is to fraud the insurance company.

Unless a law enforcement officer runs a check on your guns for some reason. ( It will likely never happen.) Neither you, the police nor his insurance company will ever know. If they do run your guns for some reason you have some explaining to do. I'm sure you will eventually be able to prove your innocence, but it is just lot simpler to not post SN's

Steviewonder1

This is why I don't post pictures of my guns modified, changed or altered! You gotta guess what I really have including the FEDS that also watch these web sites. Most of my guns were lost years ago in a boating accident that was not reported......All the FEDS have to do is figure out which ones I still have as my memory is not what it used to be.....

Win_94

Some are proud to display their serial numbers.

snw.gif

:eek:

blume357

Holly Cow!

Now that would be considered one more EVIL gun!

Here's what would happen to me if I decided to try and be dishonest and use one of y'alls pictures with serial number to file a claim... with police report. some way the police or insurance company would track the gun down to you and it would be the one gun you have not lost in that boating accident back in 72... and on top of that you would have the receipt from the FFL you bought it from...

guess who's in a world of trouble now?

Kreyzhorse

I'd guess the chances of any thing bad happening due to a posted firearm serial number is pretty low, but why take the chance?

jmr40

Granted the chances are low, but I'm aware of 1 incident involving a hunter taking a rifle into Canada on a hunting trip. All guns must be registered at the border. His hunting rifle came up as stolen. The hunter was detained for several hours until his local Sherriff promised the Canadians to investigate the matter when he returned. He was allowed to continue on his hunt. But not with his rifle. He had to hunt with a borrowed rifle.

He had bought the rifle used years earlier from an individual and had no real proof of ownership. He was able to get his rifle back several months later and had to drive several hundred miles back to the Canadian border in order to retrieve his rifle. The only way he was able to satisfy the Canadians was with a letter from Remington stating that he had returned the rifle to them for repair work prior to the gun being reported stolen. That was the only proof he had of ownership and he would have never gotten the rifle back had he not returned the rifle to Remington.

Lots of guys not only post photos, but tell the whole story behind their guns. If I were dishonest I'd surf the net looking for guys bragging about buying a gun in a FTF transaction. With no 4473 to prove you bought the gun it is your word against theirs. Anyond can buy a receipt book and write up a fake receipt and put any date on it they wish.

FrankenMauser

and on top of that you would have the receipt from the FFL you bought it from...

guess who's in a world of trouble now?

I have original sales receipts for every firearm I have ever purchased (including the ones lost in a catastrophic landslide, that I miraculously survived; and including all firearms that have been sold/traded).

HoraceHogsnort

Highvel wrote: "Just because someone calls you "paranoid", doesn't mean someone isn't watching you!"

Highvel, I know who you are and I know what you've done!!:eek: