Why didn't 9x23 Win. Take Off?

limitdown

Some IPSC competitors shoot 9x23 for "major" power class without the need for a hot load.

The 38 Super and 9mm can both be loaded for "major" power class as well, but they need to be on the "hot" side.

I shoot an STI Trubor in 9mm with hot hand-loads to make major in IPSC competition. Contrary to popular belief, standard 9x19 parabellums cases can take the higher load without any problems.
http://www.stiguns.com/guns/TruBor/TruBor.php

brickeyee

Some IPSC competitors shoot 9x23 for "major" power class without the need for a hot load.

Now that the definition of major has been lowered.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
George Santayana, Life of Reason, Reason in Common Sense,
Scribner's, 1905, page 284

RickB

9x23 could safely make old major. The chamber pressure limit of 9x23 is 10,000psi higher than 9mmP or .38 Super. I fear Super will fall back into disuse, since there's no need for it, anymore. I was talking with a gunsmith who builds raceguns, and he said he hasn't had a request to build a Super in five years. I was talking with another one, who was out of the game during the period that 9mm started it's rise in USPSA Open competition, and he said he'd still want to build in Super, since there are so many new powders, and no pressure issues at all, and since everyone else is shooting 9 you'd have no problem getting your brass back. The latter was an issue for years, when even Super had to be driven over max pressure to make major, and case life was short. Everyone kept track of how many times cases had been loaded, and didn't want to pick up someone else's brass, for fear that the case had been intentionally left of the ground.

TheButlerDidIt

9x23 european country outlawed the use of any military cartridges 4 public

Yes, if the military used a certain round like 9mmx19. Civilians were told to go with different non-miltary like the 9mmx23. Personally Like rather like the 9x23 as it seems to have plenty of power over the old 9mm nato adopted. Many reports have been hammered home about the nato 9mm not able to stop bad guys.
I have 45s, 10mm, 357sig, and S&W 40. All have pros and cons.
Dillon made a similar 9mm cartridge too. I don't recall all of its' stats but for a reloading company to invest, I'd bet the cartridge has plenty of pros.

As to why 9mmx23 is not more popular? I do know. Where ever the majority are made at or what country they're used in might shed light. Might not be exported? any body know?

I got my info out of Shotgun news article on the 9x23.

gb_in_ga

Why didn't 9x23 Win. Take Off?
A> Non standard. Thus, it had to climb the "wall of acceptance". It is a "Catch 22" sort of thing.

B> It is longer than "standard" rounds. That means longer than standard magazine wells, than that means longer than standard grips. Ok, for many folks (myself included) who have large-ish hands, that isn't a big deal. But it is a big deal for those who have smaller hands. Like what is typical with females. Lowest common denominator, we have to standardize on a configuration that any typical user is able to use. That means, no long mag wells. That means, no long rounds.

C> What practical question is this the answer of? What problem does this round solve? Other than specialized niche competition?

RickB

A 1911 pistol, even with its long action, is easier to shoot and more adaptable to individual shooters than are most short-action guns with long trigger reaches. If there is a market for 357 SIG, but not for 9x23, it has nothing to do with guns and the shooting of them.