Why did the large bore DA revolver go out of fashion?

briandg

I guess blame might be the wrong word. Responsible? yes, partially. they provided an alternative product that was, at the time, far preferable to the DA for various reasons. This really only applied to the early years, say the 60s through 80s, after that, there is so much that became available, that it can't be said that availability is the only issue.

I handled and fired dozens of super blackhawks, as I was growing up, and I never even saw a s&w 29. Still, even until the past decade or so, the DA large bore just didn't take off in this region, but you could find SA big bore everywhere.

tulsamal

Since I carry one on my hip every day, I guess they aren't out of "fashion" for me. (S&W M296 Airweight, .44 Special, 200 gr. DPX.) Of course my "wardrobe" is _always_ out of fashion so my carry gun might as well be too!

Gregg

ISC

Compared to the days of the old west when .45 LC or .45 schofield were the most common rounds used by peacekeepers like Wyatt Earp, the big bores ARE out of fashion. .38/.357 became a standard because it gave better performance than a .45 blackpowder revolver when the new cartridges were loaded with smokeless powder and expanding bullets.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Big bore revolvers went out of style (for practical purposes) for the same reason the Army is not firing .75 balls in Afghanistan. You can kill a man with a big slow bullet or with a small fast bullet. The old black powder didn't work up much pressure, so it had to be big slow bullets. As powders improved, pressures increased, and so did velocities, until the lethality (which is what it is all about when guns are used for serious purposes) of smaller, faster bullets was equal to, or better than, that of big slow bullets. Then the big slow bullets, which required big, heavy guns, were relegated to history and big boys' toys and small fast bullets (e.g., 9mm P) took over.

Jim

BlueTrain

While the .38 revolver dominated law enforcement use for most of the 20th century, it seems like the chief users of large frame revolvers were state troopers and the like, oddly enough, though not necessarily in .45. At one time the Border Patrol used a Colt New Service in .38 Special. I also recall one writer calling the .357 Magnum an "honorary big bore." That seems fitting.

The last real effort to sell a big bore revolver for police use must have been the S&W Model 58. I think it is an excellent revolver for what it is but even though it was adopted for a few departments, it didn't last long in actual service, pretty much the same as the "heavy duty" mid-size revolvers like the various fixed sight L frame revolvers.

I'm also sure that before the war, handguns were nowhere near as common as they are now. They were too expensive for most ordinary people. And also, I'm sure the gun that really won the west was the single shot .45-70 rifle and carbine that the army used.

MrAcheson

1) Even when they were "popular", large bore handguns were outsold by smaller guns like the .32s.

2) You can do small and fast a lot easier and better with smokeless powder than with smokeful powder.

3) You don't need a horse pistol if you ain't riding a horse.

"Small and faster" ---????????????????????

Well I suppose this is something which will never be put to rest, but the police departments pretty much stubbed their toe when they went to the high capacity - spray and pray - 9mms

For their sake & safety, it is good that the later trend has been toward the
.357Sig, .40 and above.

There is more then enough evidence to prove that small and fast is not always where it's at.

Yes, great strides have been made in "J" boolit design which has brought the smaller calibers to a much higher level of proformence.

However, for every advancement in design which helped out the below 40 or 45 calibers, the same advancement also carried over to the larger calibers, continuing to maintain their edge when push comes to shove.

If a bad social situation came my way, would I rather have a .380 or 9mm then a sharp stick? You bet, but given a choice it will be something bigger and better!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

44 AMP

Staff
We just did this a couple days ago...

Check out
Why did Police use the 38 Special instead of 45 Long Colt?
its only a page back!!!

OK, here we go again, :rolleyes:

The basic reasons for the big bore DA revolver "falling out of favor" with police is that they were never "in favor" to begin with. While very popular out west, and with the army, big bores were never really needed in urban/metro areas, even in the 19th century.

Cowboys, Cavalry, and Sherrifs in the west had to be able to drop horses, cows, and other large critters when the need arose. People rode on horses, alot, and so the size and weight of the big bore revolver was less important than it was to a man on foot, like the city patrolman.

For the beat cop, packing around a large heavy gun was a burden. And, their situation very seldom required that level of power.

When the Army dropped the .45 for the .38 Colt, it was because they no longer saw a regular need for being able to stop horses. The odds of our troopers facing enemy cavalry looked mighty slim.

Unfortunately, the anemic blackpowder .38 Long Colt round turned out to be a less than satisfactory manstopper. So the went back to the .45 SAA, and a few years later, mandated a .45 cal for the auto pistol they were considering. end result? The M1911.

Also, as discussed at greater length in the other thread, getting shot in those days was more often lethal than it is today. If the bullet didn't kill you outright, at best, you only had a 50/50 chance of surviving. Medicine wasn't any where near as good. If infection set in, you were toast! SO, people tended to do their best to avoid getting shot. Better a billy club beat down than a flesh wound from a pistol! Your odds of surviving were better!

The 357 mag was introduced around 1934 and was developed for police use probably due to prohibition related law enforcement and the ability of the caliber to penetrate car doors and so forth. The 357 mag revolvers were dubbed the most powerful handguns in the world at the time.

No, not exactly. The .357 Magnum was not developed with law enforcement in mind. Early ads recommended the .357 only for "powerful men of exceptional physique". It was not marketed to, or with law enforcement in mind, until well after WWII. What many found out was that the .357 was very good at penetrating car bodies, and while more than a few lawmen did use the .357 (if they could afford it), it was not originally developed or sold with police use in mind.

If you look at the writings from many of the experts from the 1950s through the 70s, most of those with some kind of police or combat experience felt a medium/big bore caliber at around 1,000fps would be the ideal police round. Something in a .40/.41 caliber was wanted. Even Bill Jordan (the man probably most responsible for the S&W Model 19 .357) felt that it would be ideal. The K frame size .357s were intended to be carried a lot, and shot (with magnum ammo) a little.

Unfortunately, what the industry gsve them was the .41 Mag. Only available in big frame guns, and at first, only in a magnum level loading. By the time a reduced velocity load (suitable for police work) came out, most depts that had an interest had already tested the magnum, and decided it wasn't suitable.

Move up to the 80s, and the semi auto is becoming the gun of choice for police, as well as the military. Finally, the 9mm was being made with bullets that reliably improved its performance. Glock didn't make the semi auto the police weapon of choice, what they did do was capture the market by under bidding the competition (mostly) and offering a high ammo capacity product.

S&W scored a major coup, creating the .40S&W, giving the performance the old time writers felt was best for police use, and doing it in a 9mm size gun, with decent ammo capacity.

Big bore DA revolvers just don't fit the needs of today's law enforcement. Might it be because in order to use one effectively, one has to be able to shoot well? :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? "They suck"????

Funny how that comes out.

A friend went to Alaska about 3 years back for Brown bear.

Now Lennie is a tough logger, and likes to be prepaired.

Soooooooooo, he wanted to pack a handgun along with his rifle and wanted to take his Desert Eagle .44 except -----------------------

That gun cannot be relyed on to function at all times. Maybe yes, but maybe NO!

He took instead, my RUGER Redhawk with 310gr. LBT boolits ahead of 19gr of AA #9.

That gun always functions, 100% of the time. No glitches, no hangups, no failure to feed, never! Plus it packs a lot more mail the his auto ever will.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

totaldla

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? "They suck"????

Funny how that comes out.

A friend went to Alaska about 3 years back for Brown bear.

Now Lennie is a tough logger, and likes to be prepaired.

Soooooooooo, he wanted to pack a handgun along with his rifle and wanted to take his Desert Eagle .44 except -----------------------

That gun cannot be relyed on to function at all times. Maybe yes, but maybe NO!

He took instead, my RUGER Redhawk with 310gr. LBT boolits ahead of 19gr of AA #9.

That gun always functions, 100% of the time. No glitches, no hangups, no failure to feed, never! Plus it packs a lot more mail the his auto ever will.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep and one day his crimp will let go and tie up his revolver. Or he'll drop it in the mud and tie up the hammer and cylinder. Revolvers are NOT inherently more reliable than semi-autos. Sorry his DE is such a piece of doo-doo, all my autoloaders are functionally way ahead of my DA revolvers.

The ONLY practical reason to buy a DA revolver is to get a cartridge otherwise not chambered in a semi-auto. My uneducated guess is that for every over-priced revolver sold, ten lower-cost, high-quality semi-autos sell. Why anyone would carry a 5 shot 38spl nowadays is beyond me - there are just too many better options.

Law Enforcement saw the light back in the 80's and they've never gone backwards.

Sarge

35 years ago, I spent an hour with a S&W Model 58 which had been professionally rechambered/rebored to 45 Colt. It was wonderful blend of everything good in a DA revolver. You may rest assured that such an implement will never, ever fall out of favor with me.

22-rimfire

S&W scored a major coup, creating the .40S&W, giving the performance the old time writers felt was best for police use, and doing it in a 9mm size gun, with decent ammo capacity.

I agree. Police departments switched to the 40 S&W and 357 Sig.

I really do believe Glock changed the LEO world with their new wonder nine. Cost is and was very important. So is simplicity of operation. The military was looking for a double action 9mm and there was a competion to sell their design over others. The Beretta design was chosen.

The 41 magnum was the big bore revolver caliber developed for police use. But rather than developing a 41 special and a 41 magnum, they went with the magnum. The 44 mag revolvers were just too large with significant recoil for comfortable police use. So, what does Smith do... use the same frame size for the 41 mag (M57 and M58). Lower powered ammunition was not available in the 41 mag at first. This doomed the 41 magnum for police use. I believe only San Antonio PD chose the M58 for department issue. There may have been a few others. But the wonder 9's killed all interest in revolvers for law enforcement. Revolvers were doomed anyway regardless of caliber.

The 40 S&W was in fact the caliber that the old 40 cal advocates were dreaming of for police use, but in a pistol versus revolver. It was developed specifically in conjunction with FBI needs at the time. I was an instant advocate of the new caliber.

CarbineCaleb

If I was a LEO, I sure would not want to lug some 45+ oz monster wheel gun around all day

Yep, what he said. How many civilians use an N-frame as their carry gun? Some do it of course, but that's going to be a very small fraction. Typical police service revolvers back when they carried them, K-frames and L-frames are about 10 oz and 6 oz lighter than N-frames, and skinnier to boot.

Well, I don't need to carry every day, but if I have real work to do with it, my Redhawk 5.5" at 49oz is the one that gets the nod.

Nothing like sending a man to do a Man's work, and a 310gr. LBT at 1300fps will get some work done.

Just so some don't get overly bent, I do have some autos, but not one of them and none that I know of or have heard of will match the proformance levels of a good wheel gun

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

drail

Because most people are basically wimps and are not willing to lug a full size steel gun around all day. Want to know the real reason why Glocks are so popular? Because they're lightweight. Not because they're "perfection". I'm 5' 10" 150 lbs. and I have been lugging a .44 cal. S&W or a 5 in. 1911 around daily for many years. With a proper carry rig it's no big deal.

Stainz

I love my 625 Mountain Guns in .45 Colt. If pressed for a woods defender, they would be it - a 255gr LSWC or Speer 250gr Gold Dot JHP at 850 fps is easy to keep on target - and effective.

Seemingly missed thus far is the .45 ACP revolver - like the current 625JM (see below) or the S&W 1917, made for the Brits to supercede the .455 Webleys during the first WW. Easy/fast reloads are assured - and, unlike the 1911s, any bullet will work - there isn't a feedramp to catch on. Moonclips are relatively inexpensive ($35/100 delivered!) and compact. I keep five layers of 21 loaded clips per each of my two .223 metal ammo boxes - and a few tupperware containers with ~30 more - total = 240 'clips - 1,440+ rounds ready to go. How many magazines do the usual bottom-feeder fans keep loaded?

IMG_0594.jpg

Great plus for the .45 ACP revolver - it is a true 'big bore' - but you can buy it's frugally priced ammo anywhere. The WallyWorld up the road still has 250 rounds of brass-cased ball ammo for $86. Great plinker - even better Zombie-protection!

I think, if I were in LE, I'd prefer a 627 - with eight .357 Magnums. I'd probably load it with .38 Spcl +P 158gr LHPSWC - the old 'FBI load'.

Stainz

PS The .357 Magnum, initially as the 'Registered Magnum', was developed from the .38-200 to hole the car doors of fleeing felons - at J. Edgar Hoover's bequest. The bad guys would rob NG armories for 'real' firepower. Hoover was given #2, I believe. Doug Wesson took nearly everything that walks in North America with one. They could be ordered through your local hardware store, too. Times have changed!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Blue Train,

I am not sure just which period you mean or even which war, but prior to about 1930, EVERYBODY carried a gun. Only the laws which were the result of bootlegging (which was the result of little old church ladies and religious lunatics browbeating Congress into becoming as nuts as they were) put a dent into the practice, but it never really stopped. Few people carry today for the simple reason that few really have anything to fear; even those citizens who do carry legally usually don't have any real reason to expect an attack, they just want to be prepared.

If you doubt the almost universal ownership and carrying of guns, just add up the numbers of pocket revolvers made and sold in the U.S. in that era. IJ, H&R, S&W, Colt, H&A, and a couple of dozen smaller makers turned out millions of small and medium frame revolvers and auto pistols. Every household had at least one, and probably six out of ten men on the street were armed, and one out of ten women. And this is in the East, not the Wild West!

Yes, women carried guns; I have a short barrel .32 S&W breaktop with a woman's gun purse, an item more common at the time than tear gas spray is today.

Jim