Why can't the shell defector on the AR be a rear sight?

Deaf Smith

Who even uses irons...especially on AR's, these days?

Those that have their optics go bad... those that drop their rifle and the optic is out of alignment... those that need a fast very precise shot at close range (and that needs sights close to the bore.)

Deaf

stagpanther

Those that have their optics go bad... those that drop their rifle and the optic is out of alignment... those that need a fast very precise shot at close range (and that needs sights close to the bore.)
And those who's red dot batteries go dead--happened to me lots of times--and is why I generally have cowitnessed irons with them.

O4L

You could just mount a set of sights on the side of the rail.
Yeah, I think the OP is looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

I can't believe this thread has gotten this much mileage, and I just added to it. :)

Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, but there are better solutions for backup sights.

Skadoosh

And those who's red dot batteries go dead--happened to me lots of times--and is why I generally have cowitnessed irons with them.

Meh. Iron sight break too. And at this point, optics and irons are at a similar place in terms of durability. Hell, even battery life isn't much of an issue anymore now that PA has made available a red dot with 50K on a single battery that is as affordable as most quality folding BUIS.

Deaf Smith

Peep sight on top of the optic.

Not that hot an idea. Now the iron sight would be even higher over the bore axis and thus precision shots at ranges much harder.

High sights have been a problem for the AR system. Many a recruit has shot the sand bags in front of the rifle cause they failed to allow for the higher sight and thus the bore was well below the top of the sand bags.

For PRECISION shooting, were a inch or two above or below the bore axis can cause a miss, one needs their sights as low as possible. And for emergency shooting where one cannot take the time to take the optic off one needs sights that are there, right there.

That is why BUIS sights that are 45 degrees off the top of the action are desirable now. One just cants their weapon over to see the sights and keep shooting.

Deaf

rickyrick

If my scope goes out, I’ll just pack up and go home.
I don’t see a legally defensible reason to be in such a dire need to shoot that my pistol isn’t already in hand; I’m a civilian, a rifle is for recreational use to me.
Now law enforcement people may need some back-up sights, but I think that has been well covered already.
But I like the spirit of the post, why not use a protrusion that’s already there?

turtlehead

It's pretty over the top. Worth a watch for those who haven't.

Personally, I use a red dot with an LT751 quick release mount and buis. Absolute co-witness so you could use the irons through the glass in an emergency. But there probably won't ever be an emergency at the range.

The deflector just seems to be the wrong place to put a sight. Your face would have to be behind the stock it seems.

DMK

Meh. Iron sight break too. And at this point, optics and irons are at a similar place in terms of durability. Hell, even battery life isn't much of an issue anymore now that PA has made available a red dot with 50K on a single battery that is as affordable as most quality folding BUIS.
This is a valid point. Get good quality optics and you are less likely to need your irons. In the situations where your optics is completely opaque (lens smashed, muddy or otherwise unusable) you can use a QD mount.

To the OPs problem, I'm starting to lean more towards 1-6x or 1-4x optics where I can rapidly switch power from close-in to long range. I use illuminated but etched articles (dots, circle dots or ^ reticles).

If the battery dies I still have a black reticle. If the scope is trashed to where I can't see through it, I pop the QD and toss it, switching to traditional inline irons (I've had to simulate this; other than dead batteries, I've never had a scope actually fail on me yet and I'm hard on my equipment).

Again, everything has compromise. If there was a best solution to this for everyone, we wouldn't have the myriad of options out there. The 45 degree sights are quickly available, but I don't like a solution that won't let me shoot weak side around cover or barrier.

Last edited:

stagpanther

To the OPs problem, I'm starting to lean more towards 1-6x or 1-4x optics where I can rapidly switch power from close-in to long range. I use illuminated but etched articles (dots, circle dots or ^ reticles).

If the battery dies I still have a black reticle. If the scope is trashed to where I can't see through it, I pop the QD and toss it, switching to traditional inline irons (I've had to simulate this; other than dead batteries, I've never had a scope actually fail on me yet and I'm hard on my equipment).
Primary Arms tactical scopes fit this to a T--the only drawback is that they are made in China--any optic I've ever had that was made in China always had a significant probability of failure included as a standard feature.;)

ThomasT

Hell, even battery life isn't much of an issue anymore now that PA has made available a red dot with 50K on a single battery that is as affordable as most quality folding BUIS.

Interesting. Who is PA?

ThomasT

Thanks RickyRick. I have never heard of them before. Me and budget scopes have a long history. And not a pretty one either.:eek:

DMK

Primary Arms and Vortex both make good stuff at a budget price point. Both have excellent customer service as well. They are not Zeiss or even Leupold in clarity or fit/finish, but very good for the price point.

Vortex is known for their lifetime no BS warranty. PA does not have a lifetime warranty on all their products, but the do on some. The PA 1-6 and 1-8 ACSS scopes are, for example.

Google around and you'll see positive comments from those with realistic expectations of what they are getting for the money.

stagpanther

I have 2 of the PA 1 x 6 ACSS scopes--they are superb blends of fast-acquire "red dots" with scope magnification getting you the necessary reach for the calibers. Clarity is good considering Chinese-made.

turtlehead

Off topic, but I broke a Vortex 4-16x42 using a defective mount and they gave me a new and even better model no questions asked. Turnaround was 8-9 days. New model had a bdc reticle. Very happy with Vortex.

rickyrick

I have a vortex, I don’t remember all the specifics, 3-9x50 I believe, that turned out to be a really good scope. I got it in one of those post-election-bundle-manias that were going on at the time.