Why aren't there any more .40SW/10mm Revolvers?

grendelbane

Auto pistol cartridges have one huge advantage over revolver cartridges, as long as one is not looking for full magnum power.

They have a smaller case capacity, being designed from the ground up for smokeless powder. The revolver cases were designed for black powder, or lengthened from that size to prevent chambering the new cartridges in the older guns.

I am actually surprised that no one has introduced a 10mm auto-rim yet.

croyance

Judging by ammo prices, .40 can be had for the same as or lower cost than .38spl, so why aren't there more 10mm revolvers (like how you can shoot .38spl out of a .357, why not have a 10mm revolver you can shoot .40 out of?)
This has only recently been true. I don't think we buy guns based on ammo prices much though. Any reasonably thorough manufacturer looks at projected demand.
Revolvers seem to handle powerful loadings better than semi-autos - the Desert Eagle is massive. So a 10mm in an N-frame gives me less power than a .41 Magnum with less versability. No K-frames any more and in an L-frame or GP100 the .357 magnum can be loaded at least as hot as a 10mm.

I don't think I've ever heard of an automatic shooting revolver cartridges
I would think every .22LR out there, but definitely the S&W 52 - a fine target gun.

Gonzo_308

Respectfully Croyance there's a one reason why I dont own a 357SIG hand gun. I dont want to deal with the cost of that ammo.

I think the necked cartridge is a great idea and should be more reliable in feeding etc. but I'm not willing to pay through the nose to find out I guessed wrong.

...or even if I guessed right.

cje1980

It is an advantage when trying to fit bullets in a small-space such as magazines that fit into a handgun's grip(semi-auto). Revolvers don't have this problem so they can use longer cases, and thus crank out more power. A smaller case is no longer an advantage when using the load in a revolver. Revolvers don't require small cases. You typically go with a revolver for reliability or simply for more power. I don't see how using a semi-auto round in a revolver makes it any more practical. As a matter of fact I would venture to say that a semi-auto round would make a revolver less reliable in that if you lose the moon-clips you now have nothing more than an extremely expensive club.

They have a smaller case capacity, being designed from the ground up for smokeless powder. The revolver cases were designed for black powder, or lengthened from that size to prevent chambering the new cartridges in the older guns.

k in AR

I have a S&W 646, 40cal S&W Revolver. Guess I was lucky because mine is very accurate, great trigger, and never has given me a problem.

However... many people did not have my experience. Seems, it has to do with the TI cylinder. With Light loads, exsp lightly crimped reloads, the brass can back up upon firing, then "stick" to the chamber, hanging up the cylinder.

As I said, I've never has an issue with this gun, but enough people did that S&W ran about a 500 or 1000 thru their PC shop and dropped them like a hot potato.