Why are Colt Pythons so EXPENSIVE?

CDH

Why don't you actually get an early Python before you offer your opinion. Do a close inspection. If you still can't see a difference, then you're blind.

My earliest is a '78 that I bought brand new that year. Still have it. Dont' own anything from earlier than that but have handled them.
I didn't see or feel any difference. I am clearly blind.

BTW, there also is an obvious design difference between the early and the latter Pythons that affects the shooting experience, making them even more desirable.

I'd like to hear more about this shooting "experience" difference.
Do the early ones go "bang" in a different way? Do the earlier ones caress your hand during the recoil phase of the shot? Do the earlier ones aim differently? Do they whisper something sweet during the DA pull?
I'd sure like some observable differences so I know what to look for.

Carter

bobhwry

918v,
Geez, take a pill and chill!! The machining process will get you close but not perfect. The Python is special because it took many hours of hand labor by master craftsmen to get it right. The Python is as close to perfection that anyone has produced or probably everwill. As to the "shooting experience" I have no idea what you are talking about!! My 1981 vintage Python fires accurately every time. I highly doubt one made in 1962 will shoot any better.What specific info do you have that post 1962 Python's are of lesser quality??? I don't own a pre-1962 Python but have compared them side by side at gun shows and couldn't see any difference, so I guess I'm blind too!! By the way there wasn't any difference in price so that should tell you something! I'm glad you came back to debate but you won't win this one with generalities.

cochise

I don't want to argue about the dates and manufactureing of Pythons. I paid $225.00 for my first 6", I think it was '69? I was stupid and sold it for $200.00 shortly after. I never realized what I had.

The bluing was amazing. The action was so smooth, everone dryfired it after cocking it. [accidently of course] I have not found a Python quite like that one. I bought a mint used 4" in the 80's and the action was/ is great but not like the first one. My exwife who is a better judge, said the samething.
She never forgave me for selling that pistol. She said it was hers because she shot it sooo- good.:confused:

I think any of the Pythons are a joy to shoot and look beautiful. IMO

Eightball

It seems that what everyone else has said boils down to this--the Python is pretty much the best "Mass Produced" DA you can buy, outside of getting a master armorer to build you one himself.

Dfariswheel

Unlike most people who owned a couple of Pythons and saw maybe a dozen or so of them over the years, I was a Master watchmaker/gunsmith specializing in Colt revolvers.

I owned 10 or so, and over 30 years I saw literally hundreds of Pythons made from start of production in the 50's to the end of production in 2003/4.
I not only saw them outside, I saw them inside, I gaged tolerances and shot them for accuracy after repairs, so I have a bigger "data base" then most people.

Python quality, like everything else did fall after the mid-1970's.
The level of polish wasn't quite as good as the original 50's and 60's guns, and you saw a few more factory defects slip by.

Some Pythons made during the big strike of the mid-80's were definitely NOT up to Python standards, and this was due to the workers who were good enough to work on the Python line being out on strike.

However, I've seen Colt's made in the 1930's when quality was at the very top, that shouldn't have been allowed to see the light of day.
I've also seen Python's made during the strike that were as good as any ever built.

One of the all-time best Pythons I ever saw was made in the late 1990's.
It was an Elite model, that EVERYONE assures us were nothing but absolute trash.

The owner had sold it to an old customer of mine because he was told it was junk, being a later gun.
The gun was flawless, perfect polish and blue, perfectly in tune, time, and alignment.
Accuracy was very near to the best I ever saw out of any 4" Python.

So, as I've said before, Guns are not vintages of wine.
There are NO "good years" or "bad years", there are only good or bad guns.
Year of manufacture tells you virtually nothing.

Right up to the end, the Python was hand polished, hand fitted, hand assembled, and hand tuned.
By the mid-1980's NO double action revolver was hand built, except the Python, and likely never will be again.

Dismissing 80's and 90's Pythons as being unworthy or junk will cause you to bypass some perfect guns.

On the internet and in the gun shop and gun show, you hear a lot of people who "got bit" by a "bad" Python, so they miss no opportunity to run the Python down to all who will listen.

This is the same for virtually ALL brands of guns.
You hear a lot about "Bad" guns, but you don't hear too much about the "good" ones.

About a year or so ago, there was one poster telling everyone that the German Korth revolvers were junk, because he had a problem with his.

Are there "bad" Pythons...you bet.
But 30 years of staring into Pythons tells me that "bad ones" are very much an exception.

croyance

Thank-you for the information.
Saying "Get an early Python and compare, if you don't see it you must be blind" is non-informative. If you have something that answers the question, say it. Because, believe it or not, it isn't easy finding an early Python just laying around.
People just want an answer to expand their knowledge.

CDH

Are there "bad" Pythons...you bet.
But 30 years of staring into Pythons tells me that "bad ones" are very much an exception.

Alright Dferiswheel, finally, a post that addresses the issue.

So now I see why my three Pythons appear to be typical of the quality we've come to know of any Python of any year, but it also means that when buying a used one, you really do need to pay attention to that particular piece rather than worry about when it was made.
It also sounds to me that this kind of logic can easily be applied to any other Colt or S&W etc.

That's the kind of information I was hoping for that would make sense.

Carter

918v

I like the old ones too, had a 6" and a 4", never did get another because they never "felt" the same to me. Maybe I'm just too fussy. I'm glad my boy kept the 4", at least I still can look at it. He will not let me shoot it anymore .

There is a reason why they don't feel the same. You noticed a difference. I noticed a difference. There must be a difference.

Dfariswheel

What I tell Python buyers holds true for a buyer of ANY gun.

LOOK at guns.
When you see one that looks good, it usually IS good, so BUY it.

918v

The difference in "feel" is due to a hollowed-out underlug in the barrel. An old 6" feels like a new 4". It is all in the ballance.

The bluing is different. It is more blue. The newer bluing has lost the blue hue over time and most recently became pitch black.

The difference in polish is the transition from hand polishing to machine polishing. Newer Pythons exhibit dished screw holes. Older Pythons do not. Look closely against the light.

Finally, the sideplate. If you look at the way it mates to the frame near the firing pin, you will see that it does not mate as well as a S&W does. S&W's are so precise that the gun looks like a one piece deal. The latter Pythons don't. Early Pythons do.

Early Pythons are a product of master craftsmen. Newer Pythons are made by slobs. But I'm a perfectionist and am reporting from that perspective.

Master Blaster

Its simple, they were always expensive when new, there were not a huge number of them made,

But most importantly, people collect and Hoard them.

bobhwry

I believe Dfariswheel summed it nicely with facts and accurate information based on his personal experieces not on some unfounded set of opinions!! I'll take real facts over opinions every time. Did you noticed he said that the Python was hand polished and fitted right up to the day they were discontinued?? That makes the Python a special firearm which has not been duplicated to date and is worthy of the prices they command today!
Thanks to Dfariswheel for bringing some sense to the subject.

918v

Did you noticed he said that the Python was hand polished and fitted right up to the day they were discontinued??

Yes, and that is inaccurate. Holding the gun by hand and pressing it against a mechanized polishing wheel is not "hand polishing" Any child can do that.

918v

Here are some pics showing the poor fit:

In this pic, you can clearly see the poor fit of the sideplate. Notice that the interior wall of the sideplate does not lineup with the interior wall of the frame.

pix3778072734.jpg

Here is one that does lineup correctly (hard to find):

pix3446129609.jpg

Here is one that linesup correctly but the gap between the top of the sideplate and the frame is excessive:

pix71747203.jpg

Here is one that linesup, but the sharp edges of the sideplate and the interior of the frame are broken, thus revealing the transition.

DSCF5447.JPG

Here is one where the sideplate does not lineup and actually sticks too far into the frame opening:

976738307-4.jpg

Here is one with dished screw holes:

976749122-1.jpg

bobhwry

Just closely examined my 1981 vintage Python and see no evidence of dished screw holes or mis-alignment of the side plate.Guess I just got lucky! As has been pointed out every maker puts out a lemon now and then but in this case since Pythons were virtually hand-made I would expect some variations based on the guy who made it. Thats what makes them special,each one is a little different not some clone made by robotics!
Dfariswheel worked there so his evaluation is more credible!

918v

Just closely examined my 1981 vintage Python and see no evidence of dished screw holes or mis-alignment of the side plate.Guess I just got lucky!

Yes you did. I went through four before I got the one I liked. Cost me $1300.