Why are 3" 1911's considered less reliable?

orionengnr

When I consider all of the 1911s I've owned (about 25 in the course of the last 25 years, with the majority of them in the last 10 or so) I realize that 11 of them were 3"ers. I still own a couple.

I will discount the two nightmare EMPs, which some will argue are not "real" 1911s (and which I have documented previously).

I had trouble with a Charles Daly that was bought used and may have been tinkered with, and a Para C6 that was bought used and was never right to begin with (per the previous owner). Para took care of the C6, and I tinkered with the CD.

The remainder worked fine, and some were/are truly exceptional.

In my experience, if you get the right one and take care of it, it will work great and be a joy to you.

Eagleks

Jammer Six; gave you a good explanation.

Just keep it working well, lubed, and in good condition, with the right ammo and you won't likely have the issue.

1911Tuner

re:

Several reasons why they chopped 1911 variants tend to be finicky, and some of those things can't be "engineered out" with any consistency. Physics are still physics and mass is still mass...and springs...even though they have a singular purpose...still work in both directions.

The recoil spring's purpose is accelerating the slide...not decelerating it. Whatever else it happens to do is incidental and irrelevant.

The instant the slide starts to move forward, outside forces are at work trying to stop it. Those forces must be overcome in order to provide reliable feed and return to battery. That's the basic operating principle of the self-loading pistol. Firing, and setting itself up to fire again. Everything that happens between those two events is no more than a series of needful functions aimed at firing and automatically resetting the gun.

In order to overcome those outside forces, a certain amount of momentum is required. When mass is reduced, the velocity must be increased in order to provide that momentum. Heavy springs are the only source of that velocity.

The problem is that springs work in both directions, and heavier springs work to decelerate the slide...and the heavier the spring, the more rapidly it decelerates, making a firm grip on the gun more critical. The slide's rearward travel is already compromised. If the slide doesn't make full travel...even by a fraction of an inch...it may not uncover the next round, and a rideover misfeed or a stovepipe failure to eject is the likely result.

The shorter travel and runup makes magazine function more critical. If the magazine spring isn't up to the task of getting the round to feeding position in time to meet the slide...a bolt-over base misfeed is in the offing with the lower rounds. Upping the magazine spring's rate usually solves that issue, but at the expense of higher drag on the slide in recoil on the top rounds.

On the issue of increased slide velocity rearward and the concerns of frame damage...that's just so much sheep dip. Propaganda from people who make money selling springs and shock buffs. There is so little difference in slide to frame impact between a 5-inch gun and a Commander...and between a Commander and an Officer's Model...that it can be ignored for all practical purposes.

Remember mass and momentum. The slide impacts the frame with its mass and its conserved momentum. Lower mass and higher speeds are really neither here nor there. The impact momentum is the same...even with equal spring rates...and even with no spring at all.

Assuming equal outside force, the slide's momentum is equal to the bullet's. Assuming equal ammunition, the momentums of the different slides are theoretically equal...regardless of their velocity. In actuality, the shorter slides have less momentum than the 5-inch slides because the bullet's velocity is reduced...and so is its momentum. The slide's momentum can't be greater than the bullet's. One is moving a little faster at impact. The other carries greater mass. Flip a coin.

Aristides

I have another thread that relates to this issue, in that my 9mm Colt New Agent has a 3" barrel. I have sent it back to Colt three times, and it still consistently fails to feed. That thread is here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455172&page=2

My question for the present thread is this: With all these explanations of failures due to timing, slide weight, springs, etc, why does my 9mm Colt New Agent choke consistently on JHP (always the same: failure to feed), but it handles FMJ flawlessly??

Where does bullet shape/design fit into this discussion?