Why anneal the shoulder?

F. Guffey

So does mine as well as others in controlled feed actions.

Then the case is driven forward to its chamber headspace limit and then the primer gets dented a couple dozen thousandths and then fires.
Bart B. is offline Report Post

So does mine

Long before I got into this silly conversation I chambered a round into a chamber that did not have a shoulder; I know that only worked for me because I am the one that measures the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face with a gage that measures the length of the chamber from a short chamber to a chamber that that has an infinite length.

Again, before I got into this silly conversation I chambered a round into a chamber with .127" clearance between the shoulder of the round and the shoulder of the chamber. I pulled the trigger, the shoulder of the case did not move.

And then I purchased a military type rifle with a 30/06 chamber that was .016" longer than a minimum length/full length sized case. I chambered a round and then pulled the trigger. Part of the case got longer and part of the case got shortened. Because I measured before and again after I knew the shoulder of the case never made it to the shoulder of the chamber.

And then?:eek: I formed my cases for that rifle from 280 Remington cases, I formed the cases to obtain that magic .002" clearance.

F. Guffey

Last edited:

reynolds357

As much as I hate to somewhat agree with Guffey and hate to disagree with Bart, I must do just that. My years of fire forming brass for wildcats has taught me that all but the worst extractors will hold a case good enough to ignite the primer. Getting a Rem700 type extractor to grab it in the first place can be fun.
Of course in a properly headspace rifle, the shoulder will contact the chamber long before extractor hold occurs.

Last edited:

Bart B.

As much as I hate to somewhat agree with Guffey and hate to disagree with Bart, I must do just that. My years of fire forming brass for wildcats has taught me that all but the worst extractors will hold a case good enough to ignite the primer. Getting a Rem700 type extractor to grab it in the first place can be fun.
Of course in a properly headspace rifle, the shoulder will contact the chamber long before extractor hold occurs.
If there's enough excessive head clearance for a given rimless bottleneck cartridge, it will usually fire with its rim hard against the extractor claw. I've seen that happen shooting 308 Win ammo in 30-06 chambers.

Won't usually happen when extractor fit, cartridge and chamber dimensions are within specs. One exception was Holland & Holland's first rimless version of a rimmed cartridge with an 8 degree shoulder where firing pins drove the cartridge rim against the extractor claw.

Last edited:

F. Guffey

I've seen that happen shooting 308 Win ammo in 30-06 chambers.

No you have not, it has been explained to you over and over etc.; problem, you lack mechanical skills.

The 308W when fired in the 30/06 chamber head spaces on the case body shoulder juncture of the 308W case because the case is larger by .014"+ than the chamber at the point of conduct.

And then there are all of those threads that you choose to ignore like the one that involved the smith from Denver. He thought it would be a great ideal to ream a 308 W chamber to 30/06. When finished he could not figure out why his fired 30/06 cases were ejected with a ring around the case body. I did my best to get him to understand the 30/06 reamer will not clean up the 308W chamber.

I offered to loan him a 30/06 Ackley improved chamber reamer or a 30 Gibbs, after that he was quite happy with the 'ring around the case' problem.

F. Guffey