why all the rage in single stack 9mms?

TheDeej

I'm not totally new to handgunning, but I don't read the rags anymore and have little time to chat up buddies about the newest wonder gun, so I'm a little slow on fads.
I picked up a nano off a young lady for a great price last week because she just wanted out of having a gun. I didn't give her what she asked, I gave her more, 300 bucks. I took it out today and shot it. I mean its nice, a little top heavy, and reloading a little mag so many times got old, quick, reminded me of my first .22 pistols and just spending half my range time fighting the jagged teeth on a magazine. I went by a friends house and told my buddies of my day, when I mentioned I didn't care for the nano the guys couldn't dig quick enough at their pockets to find money to buy it of me....
I didn't sell it, but being offered 550 for the little thing got my thoughts turning towards another big wheel gun.. why are these things so hot, are people that big into deep concealment? help me understand.

BarryLee

Yes, I think concealment is the main reason that these guns have become popular. As more States return Second Amendment rights more people are exercising those rights and choosing to carry. Having said that many of those folks are not hard core gun people who want to deal with carrying a full-size handgun, so the minis fill a need.

Last edited:

TheDeej

I understand the non-"gun nut" carrying them. much like some people feel one gun is enough for all situations (crazy talk), but the these guys are state troopers and county cops. I guess I don't see it as any better than a revolver in my pocket and a glock in my truck. maybe its beyond me. I just remember people not too long ago wanting more in less (poly pistols) to now wanting some in a lot less.
I got the whole .380 thing, small light, minimal recoil.. I own a couple. I just didn't know people were now gaga over these new things.

and all be told, the nano doesn't seem too much less in weight or size of say a glock 26, but I haven't done a side by side.

9mm

I guess light weight/jogging? Personally I rather have a double stack, more reliable(due to being around longer, Glock/Sig/Beretta) vs new guns Ruger, Kel Tec PF9 etc....

Its so easy to conceal a Glock 19 with 15 rounds, why limit to a tiny 7 shot?

TheDeej

I think there is a time and place for something like a small .380 pocket rocket, I just didn't enjoy actually shooting the nano, and I have small hands, smaller than most.

that said I don't carry my glock much out. it hangs in the truck. I usually have a j-frame or even a north American arms .22 mag... but I enjoy revolvers. the nano just kinda hurt..

I'm interested to know how others carry such a handgun and why. Maybe change my train of thought and process with a little education...

Hansam

Less weight, easier to carry and/or conceal, smaller grip circumference so its easier for smaller hands to hold properly... and single stack mags have been around just as long as double stacks so I wouldn't consider either to be more reliable than the other.

Personally I carry a single stack .45acp. I know I could have a double stack and get a few more rounds (10 or 12 rather than only 7 or 8) in the mag but well I don't like how large the grip gets so I stick with the single stacks.

Scimmia

Concealed carry has become more popular over the last couple of years. Small, single stack 9mms are much easier to conceal than a larger double stack setup without having to go to a much less powerful round like the 380. For a long time the mantra was to dress around your gun, these pistols make it possible to dress however you like and still carry.

MLeake

I can usually conceal larger pistols. However, if I want to conceal a pistol under something less forgiving - which could range from fitted motorcycle leathers to light summerweight t-shirts - a single-stack 9mm is typically easier.

For me, that function is filled by a Walther PPS.

Snaps

I carry a Glock26 and I'd love to have it in a single stack. It wouldnt print at all with anythign I wear.

kcub

I bought a Kahr K9 Elite because no other handgun fits my hand better.
I have it in my car's console and if I ever need it it will be a fast, desperate one handed shot into somebody's face that also has a gun.

FrankenMauser

You bought a firearm that was designed to be concealed. That's all there is to it.

There are still plenty of other full size semi-autos out there that use double-stack or semi-staggered magazine designs.

Form follows function. Small platforms require compromise.

Pilot

I think the single stack, small 9MM's are a good balance of firepower and size. I think a Walther PPS or S&W Shield is in my future.

I didn't sell it, but being offered 550 for the little thing got my thoughts turning towards another big wheel gun.. why are these things so hot, are people that big into deep concealment? help me understand.

Things don't jive in your story. You paid $300 which was more than the asking price for the used NANO, shot it, didn't like it, don't understand why they are the rage, but would not sell it despite being offered 45% ($550) more than you paid, 16% over MSRP ($475), and 28% over actual retail ($430 at Bud's) by people in law enforcement who often can buy guns discounted simply because they are in law enforcement.

dab102999

^^^^ kind wondering the same thing. Wife likes the nano but now leaning towards a ruger sr9c for her next gun. I hope she gets the ruger cus it fits my hand a little better but once all said and doe i can walk into any gun shop in my area and buy either one for mid 4 bills and that is brand new. So if u r being offered that much for a gun u dont care for sell it and go buy one u do want.

RBid

As has been said, they are designed for easy and comfortable concealment. A single stack 9 is there to be 'the gun you'll have', instead of the gun at home.

I have to admit that I got pulled into them. You really can't argue with, "the gun you have on you is better than the one in your safe", and people often start looking for carry guns at the smallest end of the spectrum, instead of asking, "what is the most effective self defense option that I will carry every day?"

Unfortunately, many of those small pistols are tricky to be effective with. They are fantastic for scenarios where simply presenting a weapon deters the attacker. For most people, they are less effective when you actually need to quickly and accurately put rounds on target, on the move, and possibly with one hand. Reduced accuracy + reduced capacity may very well equate to no chance.

I have switched to a compact version of a duty pistol, which I now believe is the way to go. Whether it's a Ruger SR_c, an M&P_c, an XD/XDm compact, a Glock compact, or some other duty compact, there are great options that are derived from pistols whose primary design point is effectiveness in combat.

My hope is that others begin to prioritize effectiveness, then conceal ability. Ultimately, they will probably find a better defense option, that they can still carry full time.

Olympus

Because of the .380 pocket auto craze of the last few years, gun makers are cashing in on the same pocket auto craze with a more powerful 9mm cartridge. Kind of a "you think the LCP was popular, try the LC9" kind of mentality. Still considers a "pocket auto" with a hotter round compared to the .380.

max it

single stack

hi Deej, My guess, single stack is most comfortable, and most accurate in a 1911 frame. At least .45 is. I certainly would like to try a 9mm 1911 for accuracy, all I have is Springfield XD9 Tac which is good for round count but not as accurate as my 1911.
Good luck,

Max

vyse.04

It's not just deep concealment... Many people prefer slim firearms for just about every type of carry. Really I think it boils down to just having a firearm. I can't think of a place I would go and feel undergunned with my K9 (if I could CC). For the average person, 7 rounds of 9mm should be plenty, not to mention less bulk/weight than carrying something with 15+ rounds. Different strokes for different folks.