Why .45?

GojuBrian

With the lack of availibility and cost going up up up is it worth it to shoot .45?

Most, if not all, of the shooting will be done at the range anyway for everyone, even LEO's.

9mm and .40S&W rounds are more than capable of taking down bad guys.

So, what's the logic behind getting and shooting .45? You just have money to waste? :D

CzCasull

What's the logic in having over 20 different caliburs to choose from for a rifle? All we really need is about three right??

I personally like the feel of .45
it's like driving a hummer instead of a jeep. It's just preference, not gas price.

GojuBrian

Rifles are a different story. Have what you choose, but rifle ammunition hasn't skyrocketed and gone the way of the unicorn like the .45 has recently....

NGIB

It's not the caliber - it's the platform. I shoot .45 more than anything else because that's what my 1911s are chambered in...

cougar gt-e

Because when you reload, the costs are about the same.

And a .45 just flat out spectacularly does what it was designed to do (quickly stop bad guys).

Then again, these "my caliber can whoop your caliber" threads also do what they were designed to do --> get a response!

DBAR

With the lack of availibility and cost going up up up is it worth it to shoot .45?

YES

Most, if not all, of the shooting will be done at the range anyway for everyone, even LEO's.

OK?

9mm and .40S&W rounds are more than capable of taking down bad guys.

OH, this again????

So, what's the logic behind getting and shooting .45? You just have money to waste?

Thank you, but I prefer it my way!

lexington1

Why not a .22? You can stop a bad guy with a .22. Or maybe a bb gun. Or better yet an airsoft pellet to the eyeball will do the trick! :eek:

Why do folks care what others shoot as long as we're getting out and shooting?

45_Shooter

Well, .45's are not very much more expensive than 9mm or .40 if you reload.

Most 1911's are chambered in .45 Auto

.45 Auto is an inherently accurate round, moreso than 9mm or .40. Tons of accuracy development has gone on with the .45 and platforms that fire it.

.45 Auto tends to deflect less than .40 or 9mm when fired thorugh intermediate barriers.

Making any minimum power factor in competetive shooting is easy with the .45, not always with the others.

.45 Auto is more effective when FMJ rounds are considered, and is more effective if the hollowpoint fails to expand as can happen.

.45 Auto recoil is mild, many prefer it to the .40

You see, there are many reasons to run .45's!

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Because I like big heavy bullets making big holes and because I am good with my 45. 'Only' caliber I would consider trading it in for would be a 10MM but frankly in a close up and personal encounter the 45 still has an edge for me just because of familiarity and because I can get subsequent shots off quicker if needed with a 45 than I can with a 10.

22's, 9's and 40's make good plinking/practice guns for when you have to shoot a real gun.

raindog

.45ACP was the only caliber considered for the Future Handgun bakeoff the military did. The project is on hold, but it's a pretty clear indicator of where the military is going for handgun cartridges.

If it ever comes back, .45ACP prices will drop.

budroe

The .45 has been in constant use with ever increasing popularity by American shooters for almost 100 years. The 9mm didn't start getting popular in the U.S. until the 60's when lots of surplus ammo started showing up. The .40 is still pretty much the new kid on the block. Since the .45acp came on the scene nothing really better has pushed it aside. It performs better than the
9mm or the .40. Why stop using a proven ariticle to switch to something with less capability. I own all three calibers. If I could only keep one, it would always be a .45acp.