Why 357mag in a Snubby?

Bulldog44

As for shooting the mighty .357 at the range - Maybe I'm a bit of a nut case but I thoroughly enjoy all of the sensations that most others find discomforting: The more kick/recoil, Blast/noise, and muzzle/gap flash the more thrill I get out of it.

This is part of the reason why I enjoy .44 Magnums. I like a gun to have plenty of heft and I like it to remind me that I've fired it. Since I have been accustomed to both qualities for a long time, the novelty has gone out of experiencing the excessive weight and recoil, blast, etc. Thus, I don't "enjoy" these characteristics, per se, but they don't bother me either. However, every time I pick one of them up and fire it, I'm reminded that I'm using the tool that fits me best when it comes to self-defense, hunting, etc. Same goes for 12 gauge shotguns. I tend to think that the weight, recoil, boom, and flash give me a sense of security and comfort rather than joy.

As the saying goes, "One man's meat is another man's poison."

7th Fleet

I have a 686 with a 2.5" barrel and it's one of my favorite revolvers as is my Model 66 2.5" and my 2 3/4" Speed Six, as you can tell I like .357 snubbys, they're powerful, reliable, easily carried and you have a wide variety of ammo available for them. Perhaps these are some of the reasons why the .357 snubbys continue to sell so well.

7th

Bob C

I have .357 snubbies, and carry them more than anything else. Concealable, simple, and effective.

The lightest revolver I have is a model 60, and in that I use the USA 110 HP loads, which seem lighter in recoil and blast than most .357 factory loads.

I do fire .38's in my .357's, and have for 30 years. I've never had a problem, but I clean the guns after each trip to the range, including using a brush in each chamber. The problems would occur if you allowed any residue from the shorter rounds to build up in the cylinder.

Last edited:

Thor

I went with the 342PD. Some people are really into power over practicality though and I think that's primarily the reason they get the 340. If it came in .480 they'd still get it, even if shooting it snapped their damn wrist off! Look at all those honkin' Suburbans that 110lb women drive that never go off road nor carry more than a bag of groceries! Emotions over logic and hey, there may be nothing wrong with that in many instances! However, it is my personal policy not to carry any round that I don't practice a considerable amount with! I don't buy the "adrenaline will get you through theory!" It might. But it also might take out a bystander (or a few ceiling fans) as in a panic you are not accustomed to the recoil! 2 guns shop owners recommended the 342 over the 340 and they sold both.

P

PreserveFreedom

Why a 357 snubbie?

Because I already shoot larger revolvers in 357 Magnum. If I am in a hurry to load up or I am out of 38spl, I won't find the 357 Magnum cartridges that I grab being too long to chamber. :)

Ben Shepherd

As to the original intent of the post:

My personal opinion, on which my life may depend one day, is that 357 magnum is the minimum, powerwise, I choose to trust my life with.

If 38 spec. seems adequate for you go for it. But by the sound of your post you're having doubts.

I choose to carry something I have no doubts about.

Remember, a hangun will almost always come in a poor second to a rifle or shotgun, so I carry as much as I can handle doing double tap shooting.

Eric Larsen

Why a .357.....Its personal preference. I can tell you why I carry a .357 over a .38 +P in a snubby.
First. You have to consider what a 2" barrel does to each round ballistically.....the average +p 38 load from a snubby barrel has an average energy of 200-220 FPE. Check any data from a snubby and the factors are correct. The same barrel produces between 380-420 FPE from a .357 round.
Even with the "hot" 357 loads, you are bordering on +p 9mm energy stats. Personally I dont want less energy than that.

People argue, flash, noise, recoil, faster follow up shots etc bla bla bla. The +p 38 wins everytime on paper. BUT, if you actually go shoot the gun at night with the loads in question...you will see
there is less of a difference than most think, in flash. Recoil and follow up shots are a matter of the shooter and how much he uses the gun. If a shooter is proficient with his gun...he can follow up just as quickly with either round. I shoot with guys that can unload an SP101 w/full house loads as fast as I can my Kahr or 3953. And do it with no loss in accuracy over me, some are much better in a panic situation with a wheel gun. Its all what you use and how much you use it.

Given the ballistics info....I will take a .357 everytime. NO QUESTION! My ballistics/chrono info is from my guns and friends guns. Do your own checking...you may be surprised. I want a snubby with at least 9mm energy levels...not that of a .380 .
Shoot well

JerryM

I have to wonder how much worse a .357 is fired in a room compared to a .38 Spl.

I have a .38 Spl 642 that I like very much and often carry because of its light weight.

I also have a 640 and a M60 .357. The M 60 is a 3."

The velocity difference in the M642 with Fed 125 gr factory loads, and the 640 (21/8") with Speer 125 gr GD is close to 350 fps.

I sometimes carry the 640. For practice I load 125 gr bullets to about 1100 fps. The recoil at that velocity and using rubber Pachmayer grips is not bad. I admit to being recoil sensitive, but I can shoot 100 rounds of that load without discomfort. A load with 125 gr bullets at 1000 fps is rather pleasant to shoot, and not really worse that 125 gr at 825 out of the lighter 642.

If one wants a light revolver, then the .38 Spl is the way to go. However, I would rather carry the 640 than a steel .38.
There isn't really any contest in power.

Jerry

Fatelvis

I like the fact that it CAN use both 38 and 357mag, much the same as having a Ruger BH with interchangable cylinders (.45 ACP/LC, 9mm/357, etc.) It could come in handy if ammo gets scarce, or if you have to share ammo with a buddy, your chances are twice as good, that what he has, will be compatible with your gun.

Tropical Z

I just got a 2" .357 mag and mainly did it because it was only $15.00 more than a .38spl and only gained 2 ounces.That said,i will carry and shoot .38spl+p's 95% of the time.I just want the .357 mag option even though most people say .357 mag out of a 2" barrel offers little performance gain over .38spl.