Why .22LR Isn't a Good Defensive Load

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
Jody,

You let me know when you want to get rid of that Enforcer. I'll trade ya a P-11 and change. You sure those aren't 30-rounders you've got?

After testing in water, Quick-Shok is also my favorite defensive .22 LR handgun round.

Cap'n- that was darn funny.

There is a famous firearms trainer who withstood a n assault caliber rifle round to the head during 'Nam. Shoot until the threat isn't threatening.

Jody Hudson

I have some 20 round mags and a couple of 30s. I was thinking that the two I have linked together were 25 rounds each. They are all original equipment military. Am I wrong about 25 rounds? If so they are either 20s or 30s and I'm too lazy to go look. :)

Shooter 973

22 for defense

If I had to use a 22 for defense I would not fire just one round and then see what happened I would empty the gun and then see what happened. With a mouse gun I think you would have to "machine gun" a BG. to make sure. :eek:

Jody Hudson

As per many posts here on TFL and as per many tales and experiences I've been exposed to... Even if it's a 12 gauge it pays to shoot til the threat stops.

I'll repeat a story from a LEO friend of mine in brief. A BG charged my friends partner who put all the 12 gauge slug from his police shotgun into the chest of the BG. The BG then killed the partner with the empty shotgun and ran many yards before he fell. His insides including heart and lungs were all torn up. Another reason to always include a brain shot for faster stops.

So caliber is important but, as always, shot placement more so. For a reliable one-shot-stop it's hard to beat a '58 Buick. That is a 1958 Buick -- one shot is all it takes at full speed to center of mass of the BG. For lesser calibers, hunting or protecting oneself, even numerous chest and body shots may not be enough.

werewolf

MeekAndMild wrote
"Then comes the issue of rimfire primer failure. 22 seems overly susceptable to moisture and to misfires in general."

Yes, that would be my main concern.

Capt. Hoek wrote:
"Take out the frontal lobes, for example, where the powers of logic and reason reside, and all you've done is to produce a liberal

:-D

7th Fleet

Another one of the problems with using a .22 rimfire for self defense, is the questionable ammunition that you must use. The way a .22 rimfire round is primed is as follows. The wet priming compound is put into the case and the brass is then spun to distribute the compound around the perimiter of the case. The only problem is that sometimes a void occurs, where no compound was disttibuted and when the firing pin hits one of these voids you have a missfire.

7th