Who's got the nicest brass?

castnblast

Thanks guys. Need one more suggestion. Should I immediately submerse the head once it hits critical temp? Also, is the temp. the point where the metal suddenly turns in color?

This is great stuff. Learned tons. Thanks for replying all!!!

Bud Helms

castnblast,

Let's get the nomenclature correct. The head is that portion of the case that contains the primer pocket and chambers toward the rear of the rifle. The part you may need to anneal is the neck. It is normal for the annealing to include some of the shoulder, and I have annealed down past the shoulder about 1/8 -1/4 inch and I it did not cause a problem. If you anneal the other end of the case, the head, you may destroy the primer pocket and never get a primer to hold again. If the head is annealed the primers can actually fall out when you extract after firing, because the brass has lost it's springiness due to annealment. The area around the head of the case needs to stay hard. Don't anneal it.

But, yes, once the neck is hot, submerse it immediately. If you try to do too many at the same time, they can cool slowly and that will harden the necks and you could see neck splits. That's why reloaders that do this and don't have an automated process, do one or two at a time and just tip them into a waiting pan of water.

castnblast

Thanks bud. since this thread took the turn to annealing, I thought I better start another thread. I was clear on what needed to be annealed, but I know there are some folks out there who are new to this and I'm glad you clarified head vs. neck. It can be easily confused. I think we all need to be aware of this and take the time to clarify from time to time. Thanks!