Who's got the best one out there?

woodnbow

FREE???

Hey! (You want a couple of bucks for shipping Shawn?) :D

Sure Shot, I once owned an Austin Halleck rocklock in a really longbarreled tennessee type rifle. It was a sweet shooter gorgeous wood and well made, but I just couldn't get used to a gun nearly as long as I am. (I'm 6'2", dunno how the vertically challenged handle that... ;-)

DD4lifeusmc

best one?

Well first off I'm a traditionalist, and wouldn't buy an in line.
As to a traditional sidelock.
Go to a store with the biggest selection of brands and models and buy the one that fits you best, when you bring it to your shoulder. And if you will do patched round ball or bullet.
For all intents and purposes, no one is really any better than the other, if you stay with known quality. Uberti, Pietta, CVA, Lyman, or Thompson.
I have a 30+ year old CVA 50 cal percussion sidelock. Shoots as well as any of the newer ones. Several pronghorn antelope, Mule deer and a few elk.
Plus to keep skills up, Jack rabbits in the off season.

wap41

sure shot

I guess we're almost neighbors.My hunting land is just a little south of hibbing.[small world huh?] Austin hallecks with a composit stock go for about $3-$400.The ones that have wooden stocks mostly also came also with a composit stock.They early ones have beautiful wood and metal sights and were made in Missiouri.The later ones are not quite as nice and were made in utah.They were made with both blue and nickle finnishes.Wood ones do go around $500 but are well worth it.I'm still in the south waiting for the snow to melt so I can go home.I live on Lake Mille Lacs.We should exchange email address before I go home.

Hawg Haggen:
Next year they're doing away with primitive weapons altogether on private lands. I know it doesn't give anything to the question

Aah!! We all know your a died in the wool Traditionalist boot leggin an extra bump on your score here on my thread Hawg. And that's always OK. But now you got my attention on what you mentioned. Just what is the deal going on down there in Mississippi concerning primitive weapons on private lands? I hope you'll elaborate some on that please?

woodnbow

Or find a .45 caliber Parker Hale Volunteer or Whitworth rifle and shoot 500 grain slugs like it's a .45-100-500... :D

Hawg

Well sure shot for the last few years all that's required has been a breech loading single shot cartridge rifle with an external hammer of a type in use before 1899 with a caliber of 35 or larger. Smokeless powder and scopes of any magnification are allowed. The H&R Handi Rifle in 35 Whelen and 45-70 have been real popular but starting in the 2014 season you can use the same rifles you use in regular season on private lands. Public lands will still have the old rules. We also do not have deer tags and you can take 8 deer per year with three being bucks. The downside is they have to have a main beam of thirteen inches or an inside spread of 10 inches. Personally I don't think we have enough deer to warrant such drastic changes. Did I elaborate enough for you?

Did I elaborate enough for you?: Yaw you sure did Hawg. Private land anything goes now. Public Land still requires a break/open single. No tags and 8 deer a yr. per license. 5-doe and 3-bucks. (That's allot of meat.)
A few years of that type of hunting. You'll be lucky to see any let alone get one. I wonder how your politicians managed to get that Ruling passed for the private land owners? (Modern magazine feed rifles used on private lands. During M/L season. Ain't that something._:confused:.)

Hawg

(Modern magazine feed rifles used on private lands. During M/L season. Ain't that something._.)

It hasn't been muzzle loading season in many years. I think they changed it to primitive weapons when they first allowed inlines with scopes. When I was a kid we had tags and could only take one doe per year and that on just one day out of the season. Now there's no record and nobody knows how many deer you kill.

Doyle

Hawg and Mc Gee, there is one more part of the MS equation. The "choice of firearm" bill specifically applies to the late-season primitive weapons days. It doesn't appear to affect any of the early-season primitive weapons days.

I've been following this development carefully because my wife just accepted a faculty position at MSU. I'll be moving her up there in time for Summer term and I'll follow sometime later - probably early 2014.

I'm going to be selling my Encore 209x50 barrel and picking up either a .35Whelen or 45-70 barrel (or maybe both :D).

Well I guess, all any of us can do is just play by the Rules and move on to enjoy the sport as best we can. (No doubt November 8th 2016 is on it's way)

I got a couple question fellows.
In the inline models. I've read there are some rifles that have a (closed) breech. Just what is a closed breech? Is there a benefit of having one in my rifle?

S/S

NoSecondBest

A closed breech is where the bolt closes just like on any bolt action center fire rifle and the primer is covered by the bolt. The primer is not exposed to the elements much the same as the primer end of a regular cartridge. I'd guess this is an advantage although I've never had anyone tell me their primer didn't fire due to getting snow or rain on it. Common sense would indicate that getting snow or rain on the primer might cause a problem. Most all of the in-lines now days cover the primer whether by the bolt of by pivoting the barrel into place.

Doyle: I'm glade you threaded that personal highlight here. So, "Congratulations on your wife's acceptance to MSU Sir." S/S

Hey Savage guys!!
Just some good news to bring up. I just happened to find a Savage model 10 ML II w/ Accu trigger (new/camo) for >649.00 cash & carry. To those who own or have owned one. Are there any unforeseen problems or disappointments I may encounter if I were to purchase one?
Honestly I don't know all that much on the subject of inline rifles. (as you all probably can tell) But, the versatility of this rifle really intrigues me. I'm relying heavily here on your knowledge and opinions.

S/S

NoSecondBest

There are NO problems with them that I've ever heard of. Parts are available from several sources such as spare vent liners and breech plugs. You can still get laminated stocks for them from the same source. I believe Savage will make limited runs of these guns every few years but it's just not a big enough seller to carry and catalog inventory all the time. They've already brought them back once due to demand for more and they aren't that hard to build.

The trouble with the Whitworth or Volunteer is that they're prima donnas. You have to spend a lot of time to learn how they shoot and what shoots best in them. That's why I'll take a 500 yard range Enfield (which in the hands of a good shot will reach out to 1,000).

Curious. What is the difference between the Savage model 10 ML and their new ML II series. Other than their trigger works. Were there any other changes made?

I've heard here and there out at a rifle range Savage had problems with their first issue of ML 10s. Anyone know what those issues were?

S/S