Who's got the best one out there?

Since B/P Big Game hunting has been getting more & more popular every year in this State as may be happening in your State also. Especially so in the last 10 years. I've come to realize the season offers a few advantages over the Big Game modern gun season here in Minnesota. Snow cover is one advantage, colder temps is another, and the ease of getting required vacation off to enjoy our passion is a big hurtle overcome by those younger in seniority at the job place. We all know there are on going improvements all the time to our weaponry. Especially so in the in-line categories. So here's my question: Based on what you know to date. If given the chance to spend up to $700.00 for the purchase of one inline rifle. Not because of its being one of the most expensive in the market place but for practicality. Which brand and model would you consider buying? and why?

All comments are welcome. And we all welcome yours.

S/S

Last edited:

Doyle

You certainly don't need to spend anywhere near $700 on a ML to get a great hunting rifle. There is another thread on this subject right now. You can get a perfectly good T/C Omega, or CVA for about $250 (plus scope).

However, if you really do want to spend $700 the most versitile would be an Encore. When ML season is over just take off the 209x50 barrel and pop on the centerfire barrel and you're back in business.

Wild Bill Bucks

I own several Encore and other ML's, but my absolute favorite is my Savage ML II. It shoots for about 1/2 the cost of Black Powder. With my loads I get around 2100fps, and 1" groups at 100 yards. I can clean it today or next year, without worrying about corrosives in my barrel.

It simply shoots flatter, farther,and faster,cheaper, than anything out there.

For about $600.00

woodnbow

Best is pretty subjective but

if you aren't allowed to use a scope sight I'd say the Savage may be overkill. Most guys struggle to use irons effectively much past 100 yards or so. Ditto the magnum 150 grain rifles. We're talking northern whitetails so 200# or so? Maybe 250# at the outside? Any 50 or 54 caliber shooting a bore caliber bullet will be plenty effective up to 125 yards and beyond with 100 grain loads. Give your pocketbook a break, I've got two T/C Black Diamonds, a 45XR and a 50. Paid 200 for the 45 and 150 for the 50. I have T/C peep sights and fiberoptic front sights. This is the best low light iron sight system I've ever used. all for less than $250 in either case.

I had indeed wanted to add comments here on this thread today. But due to today's very disturbing events. I feel its necessary for me to postpone my comments for a time. Sorry.

BirchOrr

Hope all is well SureShot...

I would suggest a break action in-line. Many advantages there. Also a "no tools" breech plug. T/C leads the pack in this area. (My personal choice). Encore, Pro Hunter or Triumph are excellent.

The CVA's are fine too.

My .02

Birch

noelf2

Don't rule out the T/C Impact. Great T/C quality for the money, less expensive than the Encore or Omega, but shoots just as well IMHO.

Hawg

H&R Handi Rifles have been the primitive weapon of choice here for several years. Next year they're doing away with primitive weapons altogether on private lands. I know it doesn't give anything to the question.:D

wap41

Sur Shot I'm from Mn also and hunt in northern Mn for deer.I think you could do no better than if you can find a used Austin Halleck{they are no longer made]I have a few and they are absolutely dead accurate.You can load them up to 150 grs and with a good sabot a 200 yd shot is possible.The last one I shot with mine was 235 yds and dropped in its tracks.Sighted in with 150 grs of triple seven at 100 yds it drops just a few inches at 200 yds.You can usually find them on gunbroker

airbrnpig

I will reiterate what Birch told me when I posted (almost) the same thread about a month ago: TC and CVA are both solid manufactures and shoot exceptionally well. So that leaves how much you "like" the "feel" of the rifle in your hands and when it goes bang. Taking Birch's advice I went and shot a few MLs that I hadn't yet got the opportunity to. Going into it, I was leaning towards a TC Encore or TC Optima. I have an older TC ML and recently bought a TC Venture. Love both. What I came away with after my "hands on" experiment was a CVA Accura. Just felt great in my hands, shot phenomenal at 100 yards and that darn hand screw breech plug is amazing. Makes cleaning (and unloading a round after you forgot the pellets) extremely easy. Really liked the Encore as well and shot equally solid. Accura just felt better....Good Luck!

BOSTON 617 STRONG

There really is nothing wrong with CVA. I've read all the bad press etc. I have two, both are very accurate, easy to maintain and the price is right. Can I afford a $700 inline, yes, do I see the need for one, no. If your goal is hunting and cleanly killing the game you pursue, I tend towards the $250-$300 guns. I'm not trying to hit nail heads at 100 yards. I feel that most decent guns have the ability to shoot well enough, its up to the shooter to make them perform. If you find a gun you must have that is $700, buy it. But I believe you can save some money and be quite satisfied.

airbrnpig: I did look for and found your posting at Doyle's suggestion. I guess you get to be the thread'ee verses the threader this time. Anyhow.

Wild Bill Bucks: I've heard here and there the Savage ML-2 in some States is ineligible to use on big game. Is that a rumor? Why not allowed?

woodnbow: About a month ago I got the chance to check out a T/C- B/Diamond 50 at a local shop. Nice rifle LO~~ng barrel. Bluing left was so so. 150.00 which I thought wasn't too~~ bad and I noticed its shop owner was open to a reasonable offer. Gave it the once over then I took out my little brass CVA bore light and dropped it down its barrel. (I should have known when the shop owner turned and quietly walked away before I took a look there was something amiss?) Bore was so badly corroded that I'm sure if cleaned up as best I could. Somehow its accuracy would be disappointing no doubt. No harm no foul. I just put it back in its rack slot. And walked away and left the shop. Haven't been back since. (I liked that long barrel though. I bet it could indeed reach out and touch something no doubt.)

BirchOrr: I like T/C products. There Omega stainless fits me perfect Sir. Oooo!! she comes up so nicely to the shoulder. (Kind of reminds me of my old 742 carbine. Barrel sights are right there on the mark.)__ Can't say the same for their Encore or a Triumph though. But given an Encore or a Triumph I sure would make due somehow.

I'll catch up tomorrow on the other threads. Thanks for the postings fellows.

S/S

Doyle

Wild Bill Bucks: I've heard here and there the Savage ML-2 in some States is ineligible to use on big game. Is that a rumor? Why not allowed?

Most of the states that have restrictions against the Savage are like Fl. Here, you can use the Savage ML-2 but you have to use it with ordinary black powder or substitute - no smokeless powder during ML season.

Wild Bill Bucks

What Doyle says is right. That was another reason for my purchase of the weapon, was it's ability to handle any kind of powder that I needed to use to be legal. I don't get the chance to hunt out of state much, but wanted a rifle that was adaptable to any condition that was required.

I like to shoot a lot at the range, as well as use the rifle for hogs and varmint, and with the combination of smokeless powder, and bulk buying of bullets, sabots, and primers, I can fire off rounds for as little as 70 cents per round, which is about 1/3 the cost of my other rifles. I could probably get by for a little less per round, but accuracy suffers with the cheaper stuff. I hunt in areas that are very thick with brush and timber, and sometimes my target area is no more than a few inches, so I need the exceptional accuracy that I get from the loads that I have worked up.

woodnbow

Sure Shot, I like mine, good velocity, power and accuracy... I read somewhere that 24"-26" is about optimum for velocity from frontstuffers. A long sight radius certainly helps iron sight accuracy. :D However, I'm waiting on an Investarms .58 Carbine from Deerslayer.. I'll put a peep rear on it and then I think that rifle may be my go to elk medicine.

woodnbow: Or so your the one that bought Shawns rifle. Make sure he throws in those balls I just gave him as a freebe. If you want, tell him I mentioned it._;)

NoSecondBest

I've owned a good many muzzle loading rifles over the last forty years. I've had a good number of side hammers and several in-lines. Out of all of them, the Savage ML2 is clearly the front runner. It is super accurate, requires little or no cleaning using smokeless powders, and it's a lot of fun to develop loads with using smokeless, black, or black subs. I typically get five shot groups around 1-1.5" at 100yds with my better loads. I also get in excess of 2200fps with several smokeless loads. It will easily take big game out to 250yds with a good rest to shoot off of. I'm not knocking the others out there. I've taken a lot of deer with TC's, both in-line and side hammer. I just prefer the Savage over all the others.

deerslayer303

woodnbow: Or so your the one that bought Shawns rifle. Make sure he throws in those balls I just gave him as a freebe. If you want, tell him I mentioned it._

DOGGONIT!! :mad: I meant to put those things in the box too! errrrr. I totally forgot about them.

wap41: Austin Halleck bolt. Gee's their a pretty rifle in wood. Shoot pretty good too. Seen only one on Gun Brokers 499.00 wanted. Not to awfully spendy are they and well within the 700.00 budget. Went and Google'ed it and watched that Utube promotion also. A nice well built rifle they are.
By the way if you ever go North up past Hibbing about 35 mi. Just off HWY 73 I have a place up there (Bear River)
[Where there are more gray wolves than deer!]

NoSecondBest: Since savage no longer makes their muzzle loader. It appears the only one's who will benefit in having one are those who already do. You fellows peaked my interest enough for me to go check around for one. Found a new one in the box selling for $900.00 plus. Now that would be cost prohibited in this house and a tad bit more than the 700.00 budget allows for. Since it was the only one seen advertized for-sale. I take it you fellows who have them won't part with yours. O well._:(

S/S