Whoa--I think I found my next pistol

aarondhgraham

Looks good in a picture,,,

Wow! That's one pricey .22 handgun,,,
But it's exactly what I paid for my CZ-75B Kadet.

I wonder if Browning makes the gun,,,
Or if it just has the Browning name on it.

Kraig, you're just going to have to buy one o-dem puppies,,,
And then post a range report after you wring it out on the line. :D

It really would be a great thing to have a reliable 1911 in .22 LR,,,
The Chiappa and GSG models haven't been getting good reviews of late.

Tell ya what,,,
You buy one of the guns,,,
I'll send ya $10.00 towards the price,,,
Get 59 more to commit and you've got a free gun. ;)

Good luck,,,

Aarond

Brian48

Well, I don't mind paying that much money for a .22lr, if I really wanted one, but it better be real target gun like the Smith 41 or something similar. Not for something I can get with just a conversion kit.

Navy joe

$350 for a much more accurate Marvel conversion. Put it on a quality lower with a quality trigger.

ETA: Marvel Unit 1. I got mine before there was a Unit 2 so I just spout off and say get a Marvel.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Some people like owning .22/centerfire pairs,,,

I sure do like 'em,,,
Makes practice inexpensive.

There's something about having a .22,,,
With the same size, weight, and feel of your centerfire gun.

I have a friend who very recently bought a Bersa Thunder .380,,,
And the Bersa Thunder .22 LR companion gun.

.380 ammo ain't cheap,,,
Practice with the .22 is inexpensive.

For as long as I've been a member of this forum,,,
People have been clamoring for a reliable 1911 in .22 LR.

The Chiappa and GSG models had everyone excited,,,
But they are not proving to be as reliable as they expected,,,
If this Browning is as good a gun as their Buckmark pistols are,,,
Then the 1911 lovers out there might have just hit the proverbial jackpot.

I eagerly await a range report,,,
Take the hint Kraigwy!

Intoning in best hypnotic voice,,,
Buy the gun - Buy the gun - Buy the gun

Aarond

Stevie-Ray

If this Browning is as good a gun as their Buckmark pistols are,,,
Then the 1911 lovers out there might have just hit the proverbial jackpot.
And it will definitely be on my list, as my GSG-1911 fell out of favor for a shotgun at Christmas time. Another year or so should tell the tale of this Browning, just in time for my birthday 2012.;)

Venom1956

i read somewhere that these 1911 copies aren't fullsized they are 90% or whatever nonsense... can anyone confirm? I was excited until i read that. I don't understand why they shrink .22s by just a little bit...:(

Rogervzv

Don't forget, it is a 22. That means it is cheap to shoot. Which means that the savings makes up for the high price. Which means I can justify buying one.

Which shows that I rationalize a lot. Neat pistol though.

Winchester_73

Popular misconception

A quality 22 is not cheaper to make than say a quality made 45. However, there is a market for cheap 22s and thus there are cheaper 22s but rest assured, you can't get a well made new 22 for any less than any other caliber. $600 really isn't much compared to many other 22s IMO, esp since its a 1911. I would personally rather have a conversion for kit for my favorite 1911, but for those who like Browning or want a stand alone 22 1911, I think its a fair price. Since its a new product, the wild card will be how well its actually made and functions.

Auto426

I believe these are actually 3/4 size of a real 1911, which means no parts interchangeability with the real deal. They make look the part, but $600 for a .22 that merely looks like a 1911, but doesn't actually feel like one, seems a bit much to me.

Pilot

$600 is the MSRP. When was the last time you paid MSRP for a gun? :rolleyes:

Street price will be more like $400, and maybe less after the hub bub dies down. Still a lot of money but in line with many of the better .22's.

The Browning is scaled-down to the point that people with medium to large hands can't shoot it. IMHO the GSG, which is a full-size 1911 selling for approximately half the price, is a much better deal.

aarondhgraham

Darn,,, It is scaled down a bit,,,,,

Click here please,,,

Not that anyone should buy this cased set,,,
But they do have a size comparison.

They say the .45 is built to circa 1913 military specs,,,
It's overall length is 8 1/8 Inches.

The overall length for the .22 is 7 1/8 inches.

So it really isn't a true .22 companion pistol to the 1911 at all.

Bummer.

Aarond

BigJimP

I like the concept / and I have a couple of .22 conversion kits for 1911's ...and with the .22 conversion kit on the gun / the gun is significantly lighter than when its normal slide is on the gun ...

but the gross weight / is way off what a traditional 1911 is ...so to me, it just makes no sense.

I also doubt this Browning .22 is really going to be a high end / in terms of accuracy or in the trigger ...compared to higher end guns like the S&W model 41's, some of the older High Standards, let alone guns like the Hammerli's ...

so I think it has a limited market ( even from die hard 1911 guys like me ) .

Navy joe

I just find it humorous that the link to the Browning commemorative set has Browning describing the 1911 action as blowback semi-auto.