Who would like to see a 5 shot .32 caliber revolver?

madcratebuilder

Winchester_73 said:
Terrier
Those models are actually all J frame because the I frame was discontinued before the model numbers came about. Also, I thought all of those models were 6 shot guns?

Models 34 and 35 are 22 LR.

The M32 Terrier (5 round) did not go to the J frame until the -1 variation and you are correct on the 34&35, .22lr.

Winchester_73 said:
People people people: The S&W I frame held 5 shots of 38 S&W, but nothing bigger.

Yup. The only center fire 6 shot I frame was in .32.

Last edited:

chewie146

I voted yes on this one, because I'd like to see some gun companies come up with some new ideas and refresh some old ones. The revolver world is getting stale. They wonder why people don't want revolvers as much as autos. Think about all the new stuff that comes out in the auto world every year. Personally, I think an ultra-compact .22 magnum 5-shot, double-action revolver would be great. Something that is a little larger than an NAA, but much smaller than a J-frame. The revolver would allow for the occasional rimfire misfire (which has never happened with my magnums.) This would be my ideal trail gun. Something with 2"-5" barrel options would give some good variety. But, I'm a strange duck in the modern market. I like my fantastic plastic, but I'd like to see some new steel revolvers come out.

gak

I'd like to see everyone get what they want, so on that basis alone I'll vote for the OP's proposal...but I too don't think it'll happen. As for me, my Airweight (J) 431 .32 Mag six-shooter is as close to a perfect CCW as I could ask, save for the stupid lock that is.

FrankenMauser

As for me, my Airweight (J) 431 .32 Mag six-shooter is as close to a perfect CCW as I could ask, save for the stupid lock that is.
Remove or disable it. Note the conspicuous small hole behind the lock on this J-frame:
attachment.php

This 642 has no flag. ;) I considered filing the lock tang off the flag, but decided to keep it intact. That way, I can put the unmodified flag back in the revolver, if I ever sell it.

I'm with you... I would very much prefer to have no lock, whatsoever. But, I got a great deal on the pistol, and did what I had to, for peace of mind.

NightSleeper

a 5-shot .32acp revolver for pocket carry? That's not a bad idea, I wouldn't complain about owning one, but personally I don't need it.

I have a choice between:

8-shot .22 magnum DA revolver
5-shot .38spl DA revolver
8-shot .32 acp Beretta Tomcat pocket pistol

I think with today's emphasis on caliber and capacity, it might be out of style for most people. Especially with all the pocket pistols in .32 and .380acp with 7-8 round capacity.

zxcvbob

a 5-shot .32acp revolver for pocket carry? That's not a bad idea, I wouldn't complain about owning one, but personally I don't need it.

I'd like a 6-shot .32ACP version of the old S&W "New Departure" topbreaks. It should be strong enough with modern steel. Extra points if it's cut to work with or without moon clips.

Joe the Redneck

Personally, I'm not marred to the 32 as a self defense round. I think what killed the 327 was just how nasty it was to shoot. Loud, lots os blast, usually in a lightweight gun. Not for me, thanks. I'm a sissy.

I would like to see something like the 32 mag in a "1940s style" revolver. Like the old Police Positive. No heavy barrey. No space age metals. Just a nice 4 inch tube, decent target sights. big handfilling stocks, double action, all steel construction.

I think it would make a great woods gun or a fun plinker. In a pinch, you could use it for defese (better than a 22) but not going to set the world on fire.

ThomasT

Personally, I'm not marred to the 32 as a self defense round. I think what killed the 327 was just how nasty it was to shoot. Loud, lots os blast, usually in a lightweight gun. Not for me, thanks. I'm a sissy.

I would like to see something like the 32 mag in a "1940s style" revolver. Like the old Police Positive. No heavy barrey. No space age metals. Just a nice 4 inch tube, decent target sights. big handfilling stocks, double action, all steel construction.

I think it would make a great woods gun or a fun plinker. In a pinch, you could use it for defese (better than a 22) but not going to set the world on fire.

Joe S&W made just the gun you describe. I just got mine yesterday. Its called a model 631. A 4" barreled J Frame 32 mag in stainless steel with adjustable sights and a houge rubber grip. It has been my "Holy Grail" of guns for many years but I could never find one for sale at a price I could afford. This one wasn't cheap at $670 but it was $230 less than the last one I found for sale.

Now I just gotta find the time to go shoot it. I have 6 new handguns I have bought in the last couple of months that haven't been shot yet. Its time to get busy.

madcratebuilder

If you well settle for a .32Long S&W has been offering it for years.

.32 hand ejector 5th change from 1917. 4.25 barrel, round butt, fixed sights, J frame size.

Iframe01.jpg

Waiting for the correct grips to show up. Ammo has surprising cheap, $15 per 50. If you want bigger grips any J frame grip can be fit to this frame.

UtopiaTexasG19

I have a Colt Cobra in .32 S&W Long and consider it the perfect pocket carry pistol in .32 for myself when I consider size, weight and very little kick when shooting. Also have a matching Colt Cobra in .22 that is really fun to shoot especially when teaching someone new about gun safety and shooting in general. I started my wife out on the Cobra in .22 and then we worked our way up to the .32, .38 Special and then .357 Magnum. She won't shoot my Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Magnum and I don't blame her.

LockedBreech

There are significantly more potent rounds in comparably sized packages. No interest here. I'll take a more potent round with a touch more weight and size.

Yeah, i think there's a market for something between my NAA revolver and my J-frame.

A frame in that size could be chambered for 5 shots of .32 or a 6 rounds of .22 mag.

Kinda like this, but shorter barrel and double action.
Ruger-John-Wayne-Single-Six-300x192.jpg

batjka

Well, as I have read on THR, Ruger is about to introduce just that - a "mini-revolver" in .22 mag. I haven't seen any announcements on the company website, but apparently some gun show host had seen and held a prototype. I believe it will be a double-action and significantly smaller than a J-frame, but bigger than an NAA. Wait and see. Maybe they will make a .32 ACP version based on the same frame as well

8shot357

Well, as I have read on THR, Ruger is about to introduce just that - a "mini-revolver" in .22 mag. I haven't seen any announcements on the company website, but apparently some gun show host had seen and held a prototype. I believe it will be a double-action and significantly smaller than a J-frame, but bigger than an NAA. Wait and see. Maybe they will make a .32 ACP version based on the same frame as well

Sounds like a winner to me.

Cheapshooter

I would be the first one at my LGS door if they had a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal Magnum!!!:D:D:D
Not necessarily for CC. I'm happy with my Elsie Pea, and Springer XD40 Subcompact. The LCR in 327 would be one of those "just cause" guns I keep buying!:eek::D

Last edited:

PetahW

Sized between an NAA Mini and a S&W J-Frame, These are Boge Quinn's custom 5-shot .32H&R Ruger Super Bearcats, done by Alan Harton.

01.jpg