Who will stand up for gun rights when the SHTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vito

When we go through gun registration, followed by restrictive licensing, followed by laws mandating gun confiscation, who will stand up and be counted and who will meekly submit? Our forefathers took up arms against England because they resented nuisance taxes without political representation. They risked their fortunes, there liberty and their lives to get out from the mildly (by today's standards) oppressive rule of the British crown. Today how many Americans will do anything to stop the gun grabbers? Will we go quietly along with the end of the 2A as the English, Australians and others have given up their guns and their rights, or will enough of us be willing to do more? I wonder how many readers of this forum even give a few bucks to a pro-gun presidential candidate, let alone get involved before it is too late for all gun owners.

NukeCop

Well, circumstances will play a large part in this scenario. Per WildAlaska, we can't start voting from rooftops yet. I'm sure some will say that any type of violent defense agaisnt the gun-grabbers will be suicide. I strongly Disagree. Examples to cite would be Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Vietnam War. Those are three countries that have people that are used to using 3rd world weapons to achieve world class results. Getting organized would be the hardest part.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
I'm of the mind to let this run a bit, just to see if it follows what usually happens with these kind of threads. Marko or Dave or Rich may override this, so don't be surprised it it is suddenly closed.

Having said this, for anyone else that responds, please keep in mind what the original poster has written and the first response to the thread.

tony pasley

I speak up and stand up now to do my best to prevent the preverts from getting us to that point. Starting now we stand a chance to stop if not reverse the anti-gun advances. I will stand for what I believe.

Wildalaska

Per Wildalaska these threads are silly...when you cant vote any more, have your right to free speech muzzled, your access to the courts curtailed and they are kickin in doors then fire away...

Untill then why waste bandwidth on this internet commado/patriot stuff and do something to PREVENT the horrible circs you think the evil FedGov is gonna do...like get involved in the political process...

WildoiforgotitseasierjusttopostAlaska

Pointer

Who will stand up for gun rights when the SHTF?
If we don't discuss these things many of us will be generally unprepared when trouble comes...

The Jews of Germany and Poland, and France, and Holland, and Belgium, etc., were caught totally unawares and consequently went like lambs to the slaughter...

Imagine what 6,000,000 angry freedom fighters could have been able to do (or even prevented...) had they been armed and mentally prepared in advance...

Pay no attention to the nay-sayers...
There will always be pissants who don't like to talk of cockroach spray... :p

Wildalaska

The Jews of Germany and Poland, and France, and Holland, and Belgium, etc., were caught totally unawares and consequently went like lambs to the slaughter...Imagine what 6,000,000 angry freedom fighters could have been able to do (or even prevented...) had they been armed and mentally prepared in advance...

O give me a break:barf: Mentally prepared indeed.

WildiwillrefrainfurthermodssorryAlaska

SecDef

It think it appropriate in a SHTF situation to clearly define the S.

In this case it isn't governmental collapse, or invasion, or nuclear anything. The S is the simple erosion of rights.

The S has already HTF. Your rights are being limited more and more, what actions are there to take?

Honestly, the best thing for you to do is find someone you know that hates guns and show it to them. Teach them it is no more inherently dangerous than a baseball bat or a power drill or a throwing knife or a car.

Most people that are against guns are unfamiliar with them, and the unknown is scary.

Don H

Will we go quietly along with the end of the 2A as the English, Australians and others have given up their guns and their rights,
One difference is that the English, Australians and others didn't have a "right" to own firearms - all they had was permission from their governments.

Wildalaska

Honestly, the best thing for you to do is find someone you know that hates guns and show it to them. Teach them it is no more inherently dangerous than a baseball bat or a power drill or a throwing knife or a car.

Ya mean EDUCATE folks instead of calling them sheeple? Heavan forbid we cant have that :D

WildooobabyAlaska

NukeCop

"O give me a break Mentally prepared indeed." -WildAlaska
?????

Whats ur problem Wild? Isn't there anything worth fighting for to you? The lay down and die attitude you present us with is pathetic. I'm glad I don't serve with gentlemen like you. I'm no internet commando, or patriot, or whatever else you may call me. I'm a 20 year old kid, whos been to iraq and afghanistan as a MP. I've seen brave men, and understand some things can naw at a man worse then dying. Wild, you don't deserve the rights afforded to you by our founding fathers.

Abndoc

Here are some of the ways you can fight this war here in the U.S.

Research candidates who are running for office. Don,t believe what they say, look at their voting records.

Support organizations that are pro 2A. NRA, GOA JPFO etc.

Letter writing. To office holders, candidates, newspapers and news broadcasters.

Be a member at the local gunclub and get involved at a grassroots level.

Take a kid shooting, teach him safety and that shooting is fun.

VOTE!

These are some of the ways that this war can be fought in America. We are a land of laws and we have a Constitution, with rules that govern our actions and methods. Thats why we are not some 3rd world hellhole. The hardest part is getting apathetic people off their butts to actually do something.

So, before you start waving your rifle off of the rooftop, which just makes you an easy target, look to your own ACTIONS. Do an honest self assesment and see if you are actually doing anything here to help the cause that you believe in.

And thank you for your service. What you did over there is important. It allows us to do what we do here in the way that we do it, so that we are not like those lands "over there."

Wildalaska

Whats ur problem Wild?

Well perhaps only you see it as a problem, but I am an educated adult who tries to analyze things from a historical, political, legal and sociological perpsectives instead of screamin "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" every time an ox is gored.

In addtion, I try to at least understand the truth of history and like it when others do the same rather than spouting sloganistic inanities without historical basis.

Isn't there anything worth fighting for to you?

Yep there is. But so far the petty bs complaints I see over petty governemental action, which complaints are made without a shred of knowledge of the way things were, are or should be, other than quick references to Wikpedia and some agenda driven political web site, dont make me want to climb the rooftops.

Especially when the vast bulk of mature gun owning voters share the sentiments of Abndoc (good post).

The lay down and die attitude you present us with is pathetic.

Well sorry but I dont consider the political process to be "laying down and dying"...I consider that battles to be won. And if you think that a preference for political action vis a vis spouting bullets is "pathetic", well all I can say is that you are watching too many video games or Rambo movies. Welcome to reality kid.

I'm glad I don't serve with gentlemen like you. I'm no internet commando, or patriot, or whatever else you may call me. I'm a 20 year old kid, whos been to iraq and afghanistan as a MP. I've seen brave men, and understand some things can naw at a man worse then dying.

thank you for your service. Its commendable, but doesnt render your opinion any better than anyone else's. And no offense, as a young 20 year old enlisted man, you are doing a job that entails 100% concentration in time...I'm sure that while you are sincere in your beleifs (and well spoken enough and well informed enough to engage, even minimally, in a debate), I'm equally as sure that you haven't quite had the time yet to study all of the classics that provided and set forth a philosophical and political basis for our government. If you had, you wouldnt be breathing fire over my inability to accept internet commandoing using historical untruths. BTW, movie cliches aside, aint nothing worse than dying.

Wild, you don't deserve the rights afforded to you by our founding fathers.

Well I suppose your remark is a nice climax to your ad hominem, no mind...so what you are saying that unless one is ready to vote from the rooftops right now they dont deserve rights? Or if someone doesnt agree with your jaundiced view of american politics they dont deserve rights? So guys who want to work with the system, vote, litigate, caucus, politic, confer and teach rather than chest thump over imagined novelistic scenarios don't deserve rights?

No offense, but I was arguing legal and yes sometimes even constituional issues before you were born. I probably have dropped more money into political parties that you have even earned in the past three years. Before we had the internet, we had things like politcal conferences, seminars, meetings, local elections and plenty of other areas to have our voices heard and to prevent or accelarate political change. If primarily relying on those things rather than planning for armageddon entails "losing one's rights" I reckon a large number of citizens are going with me.

I've said it before...I fear some of my fellow gun owners (as well as looney leftists) more than my inefficient bumbling government that can't even figure out how to get us to board an airplane efficiently.

Finally, Nuke it's always nice to be a young firebrand. You know the story of the young bull and the old bull :)

WildnopeletswalkanddothemallAlaska

Eghad

I have to agree with Wild here. We still have the right to present our grievances to the government via court, our legislators and at the ballot box.

When Ann Richards who was governor her in Texas decided the people didn't have the right to decide about CCW we sent her packing to do Doritos commercials. When Congress voted on the AWB in 94 some of them got sent home. We are seeing states passing castle doctrine and seizure laws. We saw a court rule against New Orleans for seizing weapons.

Just trash talk about starting a revolution when we still have the rights to decide and are able to present our grievances to the government.

NukeCop

Well Wild, you are certainly more well spoken then I am. And yes, I do lack wisdom simply because I Haven't been around for very long. I do not advocate shooting folks, specially my own countrymen. If it comes to that, it will be a sad day. Perhaps the Turner Diaries would enlighten you in some aspects as to what our Gov't is becomeing.

Let me make this clear. I'm not against any group of people, racism is for fools. plain and simple. It needs to go the way of the dinosaur. But, the aforementioned book offers some very, interesting views on gov't and the 2A. If you can honestly read that book, and still tell me the go'vt isn't mirroring the image portrayed by Andrew Macdonald(the author), then I don't know what else to say to you other then move a little deepr into Alaska by yourself.

Perhaps you've read the book Wild? It makes for interesting conversation....

NukeCop

Sorry for the double post, just wanted to tell Wild I mean my last post with respect. It is NOT taking a jab at you. I would like for folks to keep discussing the issue.

685cmj

When I saw the title here, I tuned in because I thought we were going to have a discussion about how to best band together to elect the most capable representatives of our movement to the most important offices. Or perhaps a discussion on the relative merits of the various pro-gun groups which represent us. Since it hasn't really been brought up yet, perhaps that is not the question in people's minds. But having come fairly newly to the gunning community from among the sheeple, I think it would be a wonderfully enlightening discussion--is there a group that we can join that really makes a difference? I have seen, in my brief sojourn in this new world of gunning, alot of criticism of the NRA, which I would assume is the largest and most nationally prominent group. Apparently they are not necessarily thought of as our best representative group, though, without the history, I am not exactly sure why. The few other groups I have seen referenced from time to time seem to be small groups which really have little political impact on a national level. Let's face it--to really change things as the tide seems to be turning against us we need a huge and powerful organization in which we are all banded together. Fragmented into many small groups and voting in various ways because we are disagreeable about this point or that, we have no chance against the political correctness movement. So how are we going to do this? Who represents us on a national basis? And how can we get a bunch of really different (and sometimes ornery) people together to see that perfect harmony with each of our views will never be achieved but that we have to take the best possible solution each time and live to fight another day? These aren't rhetorical questions: as a new gunner I really want to know how to go about this because I see all around me a rising antagonism against gun ownership in my state (Minnesota).

SecDef

I have to agree with Wild here. We still have the right to present our grievances to the government via court, our legislators and at the ballot box.

When Ann Richards who was governor her in Texas decided the people didn't have the right to decide about CCW we sent her packing to do Doritos commercials. When Congress voted on the AWB in 94 some of them got sent home. We are seeing states passing castle doctrine and seizure laws. We saw a court rule against New Orleans for seizing weapons.

The problem with voting in representatives is this: I don't know anybody that is a 1 issue voter, and if there are more than 1 issue they care about, rarely is 2nd amendment their highest priority.

That's not a jab at anyone, simply a fact of life. When we vote for a representative, there are going to be issues that they like that we don't and vice-versa. Great, so people were sent home after AWB in 94, but look at the makeup of the congress now.. There certainly has not been a change. People have taken up other issues as higher priority (as most of the US will)

Don't just rely on a vote.

As for letter writing, it will do nobody any good to be uncouth and straightforward to simply write a congressman and say "I totally support this bill and will not vote to re-elect you next year if you do not" or something. Yes, it's great to have numbers, but more effective than that is the story maybe like:
"I live in an area where there have been several home invasions over the last 5 years. Additionally, there has been a reduction of police presence due to budget cuts and the best response time I can hope to get at my location is 10 minutes. I have taken it upon myself to purchase a firearm, taken classes to ensure I know how to use it safely, and comfortably, and purchased a safe to ensure that I have control of it. If, God forbid, something ever does happen, I have the ability to defend myself, my family, my beautiful baby daughter. There is a bill coming up that I hope you will not support called XXX. If it passes, my ability to keep my family safe will be impacted severely. I support you to not support this bill. Thank you."

Make it personal. A form letter will be ignored as quickly as you ignore credit card offers in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.