Who makes 'em?

tubeshooter

I am thinking the "functional reason" for the grooves is to let everyone know that it is a Wrangler cylinder and not a Single Six cylinder.

tubeshooter said:
I am thinking the "functional reason" for the grooves is to let everyone know that it is a Wrangler cylinder and not a Single Six cylinder
I thought about that. It almost started to make sense, until I remembered that Ruger won't even sell you a Single Six cylinder for a Single Six without having you send the gun in to have the cylinder fitted. So what difference does it make if a cylinder is for a Wrangler or a Single Six if they aren't supposed to be swapped between guns anyway?

But there I go again ... trying to make sense out of things decided by bean counters and lawyers.

tubeshooter

No, they won't sell you one... but what if you already own a Single Six and go on to buy a Wrangler? Or what if you just "try it to see if it works" with a friend's gun?

I am thinking that particularly if you try to use a Six cylinder with a Wrangler frame, it could potentially damage the gun. I doubt much adverse could or would happen the other way around, but I don't know.

That being said - it is just a theory on my part. I don't know for sure why the grooves are there. They don't bother me at all...

aarondhgraham said:
My WAG (Wild Arse Guess) is that the grooves are there to mask the inevitable turn ring that happens with most revolvers.
Turn rings align with the locking notches, because they are created by a mis-timed locking bolt. The two grooves on the Wrangler cylinder are well behind the line of the locking notches.

aarondhgraham

Hey Aquila, I have the gun you want.

Hey Aquila, I have the gun you want.

It's a Hawes Western Six Shooter:
Made by J. P. Sauer and Sohn,,,
Imported by Hawes.

It's a SAA Clone made in West Germany,,,
I'm guessing around the 60's.

Click here for a bit of info on the company.

Hawes-01-RightSide.jpg

Hawes-02-LeftSide.jpg

Hawes-03-Barrel-LeftSide.jpg

Sorry it's so blurry, it says:
Hawes Firearms Co.
Los Angeles, California
Made in Western Germany by
J. P. Sauer & Sohn

Hawes-04-Barrel-RightSide.jpg

The gun has a 4-click action:
  • 1st click is a safety
  • 2nd click is for loading
  • 3rd click does something?
  • the cylinder turns a bit but won't spin.​
  • 4th click cocks the gun

I don't need this gun and won't ever shoot it,,,
I bought it for a specific purpose that doesn't exist now.

I did fire it right after I bought it,,,
3-4 cylinders just to see if it functioned,,,
And I did manage to hit a paper plate at 7 yards.

Anyways, if this gun will suit your needs,,,
I'll make it yours for a very good price,,,
We can PM to discuss the deal.

Aarond

HighValleyRanch

I got one of those in .357, the Hawes Western Marshall. Built like a tank and can handle Buffalo bore hottest loads accurately! weighs like four pounds!LOL

aarondhgraham

Hello HighValleyRanch,,,

Is it like this one?

15-kate.JPG

Plain Jane as all get-out,,,
But shoots like a dream.

Odd barrel length though,,,
If I recall correctly,,,
It's 6.5".

Aarond

FrankenMauser

I was just handling my Wrangler and it reminded me that you may or may not be aware of something to consider with these revolvers.

The Wrangler's cylinder can rotate either direction, once the loading gate is open.
Bad for the 'purity' of an SAA influenced design.
But good for new shooters and a training environment.

And, Back to dry-firing my Blackhawk...

FrankenMauser said:
The Wrangler's cylinder can rotate either direction, once the loading gate is open.
Bad for the 'purity' of an SAA influenced design.
But good for new shooters and a training environment.
True. Being an Olde Pharte(tm), I would prefer to have all six shooters set up to work like the original Colts. Unfortunately, Ruger went in another direction a long time ago. It's something I live with but don't love.

tubeshooter

Just to update - evidently someone on Rimfirecentral tried to swap cylinders between both guns and reported back (thanks for that). The Six cylinder would not fit the Wrangler frame at all. The Wrangler cylinder would fit the Six frame, but does not function. Hammer won't cock.

I still am not 100% sure why the grooves are there. But with Ruger's outstanding customer service and their unspoken obligation to service both guns, it would make sense to clearly differentiate the cylinders. It's good for end users as well IMHO.

Last edited: