Who likes the 7mm-08....

Saltydog235

Yesterday, one ragged hole at 100 yards with 45.5 of H4350 under the 150 SMK. Got as much as 2594, but didn't try anything hotter. Not bad outta a 20" barre.

I shoot virtually the same load out of my SPS that's a lot like Infidels. I get about 2700fps out of it with a 150grn Nosler Ballistic Tip and incredible accuracy. I have no problem with shooting something out there at ranges of 300-500yds if presented with it.

Scrumbag

I like the idea of the 7-08:

Versatile selection of heads
Plenty of donor brass
Lots of tooling for actions
Plenty of options on for 7mm barrels

What I don't like: lack of oomph for pushing the 150-170gr bullets

So I bought a 7x64. Everything the .270Win should be :eek:

Now, where did I put my tin hat...

ATB,

Scrummy

scottycoyote

i picked up a 7mm08 barrel for my tc prohunter and thats what i put on after blackpowder season ends. I like the round, no recoil and so far its been 1 shot 1 kill accurate.

tobnpr

When I first started looking at long-range "capable" calibers, the ballistics looked promising. A tad off from the likes of some of the 6.5 calibers, but capable nonetheless.

What I didn't get was that a lot of what I read was that it's a "kid's" or "woman's" caliber due to the reduced recoil as compared to the .308...
What the hell? It didn't seem to get the respect it deserves..."kids"?? Really?

16 lbs vs. 13 lbs of energy isn't significant. In fact, I find my 7-08 bucks harder, primarily because the stock I built is lightweight (2.2 lbs) as compared to the Choate tactical stock housing our .308 Savage.

Just saw a show where a guy necked down the 6.5 x 47 Lapua to 6mm....now that's interesting. Wish I had the smithing skills/knowledge to play the "make your own wildcat" game!

PawPaw

Back in the early '90s I bought a Model 7 in 7mm-08. Great little rifle and I soon learned that it really loved the cheap green box Remington 140 grain Core-Lokt bullet. It liked that ammo so much that I never bothered to reload for the little rifle. I'd buy two boxes a year, shoot 30 rounds in practice and save the remaining 10 round for hunting.

I lost that rifle during a divorce and subsequent financial dynamic. I miss the rifle more than the woman.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My 700 Ti in 7/08 has been sub-MOA from the git-go. I figure it's good for critters from coyotes to deer. Doubt I'll go elk-hunting, so I don't worry about specific loads for that use.