Who Keeps A Gun In Their Car?

I've started carrying in my car, I have an hour long commute back and forth from work, most of my commute is in a rural, sparsely populated area. If I had a flat tire during the night commute home, I would feel much better about having the gun in the car, than not having it. I'm not very concerned with anyone breaking into my car, my car is within view most of the time, I can see it from my desk. However, if I'm going to wal-mart or to the mall, ect, I would carry concealed, since I do have a CCW permit. Their is a far greater risk of my car being broken into in a big, unprotected parking lot.

aspen1964

..every now and then I will load my Colt 45 auto and take it with me...the frequency that I will do it in the future depends on how the future will look then...

aspen1964

..every now and then I will load my Colt 45 auto and take it with me...the frequency that I will do it in the future depends on how the future will look then...like a big dog with big teeth that is absolutely trained to obey...

Concerning that disgusting video, my instinct tells me that shooting this guy would be 100% justified. She has no means of escape, she is boxed in by traffic. The guy is wielding either a baseball bat or a rock, and beating the crap out of her car, shattering windows. To me, this meets the 3 criteria for self defense...1) Ability, this guy obviously has that....2) Opportunity, he's obviously got that....and 3) Intent.....he's demolishing her car, with kids inside. This also meets the grave danger, imminent threat, bodily harm requirement as well. If it were me in that situation, I'd shoot him. In all of your opinions, would this be a justifiable scenario? I sincerely hope I am never in a scenario like that, must be an awefull experience.

SCCop

I keep one (or two) in the car for a couple of reasons. If I run out of the house in a hurry, i know I'm armed even if I didn't take the time to strap one on. Two, it can be hard to draw from a seated position. Esp, if you carry on your right side, try drawing with your seat belt on. It can be easier to go for your glove box, console, etc (whatever is legal in your particular instance).

I often keep a rifle or shotty in the rear for extreme situations, because hey you never know. But be mindful of security. I would hate for an unarmed thief to become an armed one.

Socrates

Springfield:
Depending upon jurisdiction, you might or might not be justified. What he did would probably be Assault, and Battery, to start, but, did he ever swing at people in the car?
He attacked property, which, except for Louisiana, most states hold over people. Sure he beat up the car, but taking a tire iron to a car, unless you are Jim Brown, and it's your car, is rarely a jailable offense;) In Kali, and most common law states, the woman would have to state she was in fear for her life, or someone in the car, since after breaking the window, the guy tried to get to them. The threat would have to be immediate, and, the bad guy would have to be able to carry it out. This case, to me, is sort of in the middle. It's pretty clear the camera is egging this guy on, and, it's pretty clear he's either a mental case, or very high. However, I do get the feeling that if he had a
gun pointed at him, he's not so high as to recognize that his macho stuff would be better off in another county.

I watched a sober guy, loose it, after being taken into custody, try and break out of cuffs, and take on myself, and the arresting officer. He was a punk kid, from Texas,
who had a serious anger management problem, probably from being treated with kid gloves for 15 years by the
legal system for being a minor. He was 19 at the time, and really failed to realize that the rules had SERIOUSLY changed, and, if he would have broken out of the handcuffs, he would NOT have enjoyed the experience.
School was WAY over.
He reminded me of the guy with the tire iron, or crow bar...
Same sort of anger.

Our case was resolved without going to court. We picked him up for pointing a gun at the head of a woman who had the gall to pull up at a window tinting shop in Hunter's Point, and wanting her windows tinted. He pointed the gun at her for a half hour. When the police arrived, he tried to ditch the gun, and run away. He was arrested, let go on bail, and had come into court on ANOTHER charge, when, as he left court, we grabbed him.

The FBI came over, picked him up, and tried and convicted him in Federal court, for weapons charges, and, I think priors from Texas, probably crossing state lines with a stolen firearm, etc. Never found out, but, I was VERY happy that he found his way out of the San Francisco Court system, probably the reason he came from Texas to Kali, to find himself in a federal cell. Couldn't happen to a nicer kid, with a rap sheet the size of a phone book..

s

Justified.

In my state I believe you would be fully justified.

It looks like he is swinging a crowbar or baseball bat at the car. If you'll observe he knocks out every window, even the driver's side window.

I am sorry, but if someone wielding a deadly weapon swings it through my windshield and driver's side window, I am not going to rely on his technique not to "accidently" hit me in the face or head with a bat/crowbar. That man could very easily have swung that stick and hit the driver and killed them. A blow from that object would be lethal. Never mind that he didn't in this case, I am not going to trust him to "not" hit me with it.

I would've tried to steer the vehicle away and drive out of there. If not, I would've tried to steer the vehicle into that man's general path. If not, and he was still trying to hit in my general direction or where my passengers might be, he will have warranted the use of my own deadly weapon (other than the car).

I just wouldn't trust that crazy man not to strike someone inside, even if by accident. He picked his actions and should have to live with them if he does that to an innocent civilian who is prepared to defend themself.

I might be wrong though. That's just my opinion.

Socrates

I agree with you.

Could the driver have avoided his attack? These are the kinds of questions asked in Kalifornia, but, again, it varies by county, and state.

The underlying scheme here is all people loose the freedom to travel, when you have to carry a gun, illegally, to protect yourself from a nut like that. That's the problem. The guy is betting the person doesn't have a gun, because of the state, and county he's in, my guess, anyway. I don't think this situation would have happened in Texas, or Louisiana, or Florida.

The end result is if you wanted to enter that area for commerce, why would you put yourself at the mercy of a psycho like that? You go somewhere else. End result is
seperation of classes, and ethnic groups.

S

bulbboy

I keep one in the car besides the one on me. If I'm wearing IWB I can't get to it easily in the car so I have a separate one in the glove box that I take out of the car at night.

Bosshoff

I think the one thing that she could have done differently is left more room in front of her car to evade trouble. She is not in the greatest neighborhood, but in the city, she should have a way to drive up over the curb/bushes/roadsign to escape.
Keeping a gun in the car is a big no no in Chicagoland. Things like this video drive me nutty. This is not much different than the street crime you see in lawless places like South Africa, where people have to drive with loaded pistols in their laps. I'd love to see that guy take a dirt nap.

Socrates

That's the problem, people assume the victim made a mistake. I thought, on watching it painfully again, she did a very good job of evading, and, did save adequate room, and got out of the situation.

About 40% of the crime in San Francisco is homeless people, flipping out, and doing stuff like that, but, usually to each other.

However, my girlfriend did have some guy just walk up, punch her hard in the face, downtown in SF, for no reason, and walkoff.

When you're not working in law enforcement, it's hard to remember how crazy some people are out there.

S

jamaica

One in the car, one in the truck, at all times.

They are kept in a locked steel box that is fastened

such that the box cannot be readily removed.

This is in addition to the one on my person.

Reason? There are times and places I go that I

cannot legally have a CCW. Work and church for instance,

however I want to have a gun available to and from

these activities.

Ya, I know drawing a gun from a locked box is rather a slow

process, but may be better than no option. There is also

the option of getting it out of the box when getting in the car

so it is at hand.

I don't worry too much about someone taking it from the

vehicle, When out and about the cars are locked, when at

home the cars are in the locked garage. An oportunist might

break into a parked car, but hopefully won't take the time to

try to open the box or pry it loose. It is a risk I am willing to take.

I agree, I think the driver did well given the situation. That's just a scary situation to be in.

It isn't great, but sometimes everybody has to travel to a less-than-friendly neighborhood to do business or take care of civil duties. Scary stuff.