who here doesn't hunt?

Do you hunt?

• Yes, I live for it!!!!

Votes: 43 23.4%
  • You mean kill a living thing with my gun? NO WAY!!!

Votes: 35 19.0%
  • Other answer-explain

Votes: 106 57.6%

• Total voters

predator86

i was reading another thread and somebody suggested to take up hunting.....and i got to thinking, how many of you only kill paper??? i couldnt imagine owning guns and not killing anything with them......

My in-laws are pretty country, I am from the city. I do not eat squirrels, raccoon, or most other wild animals (hogs excluded). I will oil up my 12 gauge or a rifle and go out with my brother in law or sometimes out by myself on my in-law's land.

I don't live for hunting by any means but every now and then it is nice to get out away from everything, shoot some guns, and bring home some meat to be cooked while I'm napping after getting up at 3AM to get out early enough to do something.

RedneckFur

I used to hunt, but I dont right now. Its been several years since I took a deer. Someday, I'd like to take up hunting again, but I'm not in a huge rush. Just 1 or 2 deer a year would feed me and mine just fine.

I get alot of pleasure from "killing" paper targets and chewing the fat with the guys at the gun club. They got me hooked on rimfire benchrest shooting. Let me tell ya, its addictive, and it will take all your money. Dont try it! :D

Rich Miranda

I voted 'Other'. Let me explain...

I grew up in the Los Angeles suburbs. A bad area, but we mostly were unaware of that. It being Commufornia and all, guns were frowned upon. Something only the police and criminals handled. My father, a good man who only ever handled one gun in his life (M1 Carbine, Korea), also frowned upon guns mostly because of the big ugly scar in front of his appendix made (most likely) by a round fired from some Russian-made rifle in 1953. In short, there was no positive family or community ties to guns.

But being the normal male that I am, I have always been interested in guns and, by extension, hunting and shooting sports. When I lived in the People's Republic of California, it was so difficult/confusing to get a gun, that I never did.

I next moved to New Jersey. I normally would have heeded good advice and stayed away from this bass-ackward state of depression, but the job was good and the money was better. Needless to say, Jersey is about as gun-friendly as Sarah Brady. I fled NJ in November, 2007.

So, now, I live in Texas. :) Here, I fill out a form, they make a phone call and I walk out with my handgun/rifle/shotgun in 10 minutes flat. Gun registration? What is this? The USSR?

In 7 months I have acquired a new hobby, three handguns and a shotgun. I have not been hunting - yet. I'm going to sign up for a hog hunt soon. 12 gauge slugs. 'Nuff said.

Rant Casey

Never been hunting aside from killing squirrels as a child, have no interest in killing unarmed animals for sport. My father is a Vietnam vet, saw a lot of combat and was surprisingly against hunting probably for the same reason I am. I have nothing against hunters, I'm a meat eater, and am all for hunters rights, it just doesn't appeal to me. I did enough "hunting" for the good old USA to the point where shooting living things just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If I ever have to kill anything ever again it'll be for survival, not sport. That being said, when I'm not shooting or occupied otherwise you'll find me out hooking large mouth bass and releasing them. This doesn't seem enjoyable to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BknKR5mOF3U (you need to have a youtube account to view it)

GoSlash27

In the words of the immortal Ron White:
"It's not that I think it's somehow nobler to have somebody else kill my food for me. It's just that it's cold, it's dark, it's way too early....and I don't (expletive deleted) wanna do it."

That about sums it up, but the main reason I don't hunt is because I hate the idea of being in the woods surrounded by a bunch of people I don't know and can't see who may or may not be pointing guns at me. :eek:

predator86

hey slash, that is the exact same feeling i get whenever i go into a larger town/city.....ironic huh?

if you look at how many people get shot during deer season vs. how many people get shot every day in large cities......do i need to continue?

PinkPanther

I have nothing against hunting at all. I think its a great American tradition and a very valuable skill to have. I used to deer hunt all the time. The reasons I stopped are Im not a fan of waking up at 4am and freezing my ass off to shoot a deer when I can get the meat from my dad and brothers. Its just not my thing. Nothing wrong with it at all. If you eat the animal its no different than eating a burger.

tecdv

I don't like hunting. Not that I have anything against it, I'll eat it if someone else kills it, I just don't like to do it. If I'm hungry I'll go to the store and get something. But, if I was out somewhere and starving and had no choice there would be one dead animal over the fire.

JWT

Grew up in Wisconsin with access to a couple hundred acres of family owned land and hunted all the time. If we weren't hunting we were fishing.

Lived in Washington a bit later, while in the Air Force, and again had good access to private land for hunting.

After that moved around quite a bit while in the service and didn't have access to land for hunting. Same once I got out of the service - lived in areas with little or no access to hunting, so haven't done any for years.

Still consider it a great sport.

Kreyzhorse

I'm two fold. I hunt and have hunted for years. But I also hang out here because I enjoy guns in general and believe strongly in SD and CCW.

Sevens

Large apologies if this runs long (it's a problem I have when I post) but I think it's a great topic and one I've wanted to talk about.

I have always liked the idea of hunting, it seems to me to be a life-style kind of thing and guns just seem to be a small part of a much bigger picture. Problem I had is that my Dad wasn't a hunter and was also sick for my entire life until he passed away, so it wasn't possible that he was ever going to mentor me to be a hunter.

After he'd gone, I went hunting twice-- once with a friend of my older sister and once with a cousin. The first trip was fun but uneventful-- waterfowl hunting in a duck blind and nothing EVER came. Camaraderie, peaceful nature on a pretty day, and holding a shotgun for many hours. But no ducks gave their life that day!

Second time was with a cousin in a real waterfowl boat in a helluva good spot with his buddy and a real working waterfowl dog. We shot our limit and then broke the rules by EATING some duck right there on the boat so that we could shoot back to our limit. Lots of emotions over that experience-- breaking hunting rules disgusts me, but I was a 16 year old kid with two 30-year guys and I wasn't getting a say and I didn't want to be a dick. Don't preach to me, you know the situation I'm describing. The duck? Cooked over a gas stove right on the boat and eaten with a loaf of white bread-- tasted AWESOME!

The dog, a real working hunting dog, my good god, it was one of my most vivid memories. If you are a dog lover as I've been my whole life, you've got to experience a working waterfowl dog-- this guy lived to do this job and he was a professional at it. He wouldn't move a fraction of an inch while we waited, and he would have swam fifty miles to retrieve a duck for us. He lived-- absolutely lived to do his job. He carried a dead duck in his mouth like it was an egg or an infant, with so much care, the whole thing would bring a tear to your eye. This dog lived to hunt and it was the finest example of a black lab I'll ever witness.

When the hunt was over, we motored back to shore-- but we sheared the pin that holds the prop on, so we had to take turns pushing this boat about 5 miles through 3 feet of mud-based water. It was like running a 26-mile marathon and I was not in the best shape to do it. One year later and I would have been a stallion but on this day, getting back was an experience I'll also never forget.

To sum it up, I've always been very interested in hunting, but I don't feel it's something you can go and do without a mentor. I don't know how interested I am in eating things I might shoot, but I can tell you that I have a VERY strong opinion on the killing of game animals, that's for sure.

This opinion can get you in a knuckle-busting fight, but it is what it is: We live in a country where people have overtaken land that formerly belonged to wild animals. Place blame wherever you wish, fault whoever you want, but the fact is that humans have developed land that is displacing animals and the result is that animals are suffering and people aren't benefiting from their suffering. What I'm trying to say it this: We need hunt, especially deer, ESPECIALLY in the midwest, and we need to do it for the good of the animals, we need to do it for the good of American culture, and for damn sure, we need to do it for the safety of American motorists. I ride a motorcycle. I've lost friends to deer hits. I don't blame the deer, I don't blame real estate developers, but I absolutely and adamantly support the proper handling of the population of them. If you ride a motorcycle you ought to know who Larry Grodsky was. If you don't, you missed a damn good man and you oughta run a google to learn about who he was and why he's gone.

To sum it up: I admire hunters, real hunters who were raised by Grandpa and Dad and older brother or the old coot down the road. I admire folks who know how to dress an animal and where to put a shot. I admire guys who can stalk an animal and take him down at short range. I would love-- LOVE to go on a hunt with a real hunter armed with only a camera or less, just to experience it. I don't feel like I have to be a hunter, and I would really make an effort to become one if I were a single guy with a helluva lot more time.

Deer hunters: Please come to Ohio and take deer. A lot, a heap of them. Do it for the deer, do it for Ohio, and do it for Ohioans.

Sevens

As a post-script on the topic of killing paper:

Killing paper is a necessary evil in my world. I shoot paper when I need to print groups to find out what my firearm and my handloads are doing and how to improve it. When I shot competitively, killing paper was how we competed. It's got it's place.

Otherwise, killing paper sucks. I love to plink-- I hang targets that react when I hit them. I'm anal about cleaning up whatever I shoot, so I don't pig-up any range. But if I'm not doing "work" with regards to sights and handloads, and I'm shooting for pleasure, I'm blasting at almost anything OTHER than paper. I can't think of much less interesting things to shoot than paper.

pax

I don't currently hunt.

I have in the past and would like to again in the future. But the hunting regulations in my state are confusing at best, and I don't know where I'd hunt if I did have a license.

Don't have anything against killing an animal for food, or against killing vermin to protect property including livestock. But I've no current need to do either.

Meanwhile, I own guns primarily for self-protection.

pax

Technosavant

Your two choices are too far apart- it's all one way or the other.

I don't hunt, just never have gone out there. I'm not against it by any means, and I wouldn't rule out doing it in the future. But it isn't a hobby of mine for now, and for the most part my gun collection is not terribly suitable for hunting (a few guns would work fine, but only one or two would really be suitable hunting weapons). I have popped a nuisance groundhog (doubt that's considered hunting), so while I'm not a "I live for it" hunter, I'm also very much not a "ewww, I don't want to kill anything with a face" person.

divemedic

Ditto. I don't fish, either. I just find it boring. Hours of sitting there, doing nothing. Fine for others, though. Just not me.

T-Ray

Ditto. I don't fish, either. I just find it boring. Hours of sitting there, doing nothing. Fine for others, though. Just not me.
It can be boring, but if no bites, pull out the gun and start poppin turtles.

DieHard06

i voted other, because I currently don't hunt. I think one day, I might get into it espcially if I have sons. I just started buying guns and have not made it to that area yet.