Whitneyville Walker/ 3rd Dragoon

Fogman01

Walker! No doubt whatsoever. I have a Colt 2nd gen Walker and a Colt 2nd gen Dragoon. The Walker is a MUCH better shooter than the Dragoon in every respect. But guess what - the loading levers fall down on both of them. I use a piece of elk leather around the barrel and loading lever.
Walker = awesome shooter. If you want a BIG gun get a Walker. If not get a 1860 Army. The Walker is easy to shoot - I love it. Shot it with the recommended 50 grains but will add more - still a lot of room for more powder and I was using a lubed wad over the powder.
Dragoon = second time shooting it... pain in the butt. This gun is somewhere between a Walker and a 1860 Army - and is neither fish nor foul. It's big and heavy but doesn't hold enough powder for all that weight. Colt recommends 40 grains.This gun is way too heavy to only shoot 40 grains. The 1860 is much more comfortable if you don't want to lug around a heavy gun. If you do feel like carrying a brick then make it worth your while and get a Walker. It originally was made to hold 60 grains. I am shooting a Sharps 45-70 rifle loaded with 62 grains! The Walker was the most powerful handgun in the world until the .357 magnum came out. The Dragoon got a cap caught under the cylinder and scratched it; I would sell this gun if that hadn't happened The Walker doesn't care about spent caps. With the Dragoon, if the wedge isn't in EXACTLY right, either the cylinder binds and won't turn or the hammer doesn't strike the cap hard enough to fire it. It has to be EXACTLY right. The action just felt rough. The Walker is smooth and a pleasure to shoot.. not so the Dragoon.
I cleaned the Dragoon and put it back in the safe. I will be shooting the Walker from now on.

Hawg

With the Dragoon, if the wedge isn't in EXACTLY right, either the cylinder binds and won't turn or the hammer doesn't strike the cap hard enough to fire it.

Same way with the Walker unless somebody fixed the short arbor. My dragoon is one of the smoothest out of the box guns I have it just has a heavy mainspring.