Whitneyville Walker/ 3rd Dragoon

Strafer Gott

The LGS has both of these@ $545 ea. I don't really choke on the price. When was the last time you saw WW or 3rd Dragoon? A ROA would be more. They are boxed up with powder flask and bullet mold, LNIB. I can only swing one now. Which way would you go and why?

Oliver Sudden

3rd dragoon, better loading lever latch, 50 grains cylinder capacity and some have the leaf rear sight. And I've seen more Walkers then dragoons.

Strafer Gott

Come to think of it, this is the third Walker I've seen in the last month or so. Good point. Two of them were Uberti 's, one beat rag for $ 275 and good one for $325. Whitneyville models are a wee bit different though.

Hawg

Whitneyville or not I'd still go with the Dragoon.

Are they originals or reproductions?

You'd have to add a few zero's to get originals.

At that price with the molds and flask, it may be a Colt Signature Series model.

That would be about 400.00 more.

Beagle333

I'm voting for Walker. (my .02)

I just got this Palmetto Whitneyville Walker in today's mail. I found it as an unfired safe queen, just as it arrived from Dixie Gun Works in 2002.

68821C96-E876-4053-97B2-40EC9C002D7E_zpspb0osbpo.jpg

468D0E13-5BBA-4FFF-9D9B-218FC3FC54F8_zpspmtcib05.jpg

Last edited:

Strafer Gott

I called the LGS to put the dragoon on hold until I can get in this afternoon for a close examination. The manufacturer is ASM, so this gun was made quite awhile back. I know some people disrespect Armi. I have one of ASM's Hartford model Colts and it hasn't bit me yet. I saw on Midway's webpage an expected stocking of second model dragoons in May. If I knew this was real, it might temper my bargaining position.

Strafer Gott

Sad to say, that dragoon was the most worn out firearm I've ever touched. Strictly a wall hanger, and I need a shooter. I had to decline the deal. Oh well, must be something better on the way. I really do favor the round trigger guard of the 3rd model. A new Uberti 2nd model would definitely beat a sharp stick in the eye though. Does Pietta make dragoons as well?

Fingers McGee

Pietta does not and never has made a Dragoon - or pocket pistol either for that matter. Uberti is the only current maker of Dragoons. Armi San Marco, 2nd Gen Colts and Signature Series Colts are the only other makers from previous years.

jmar

An ASM Dragoon is worth $300 not $545. Good you passed, you can get a brand new Uberti 3rd model cased set for cheaper than that.

SIGSHR

I have both, the Dragoon is a much better shooter, better loading lever latch, better balanced IMHO.

Strafer Gott

I found another local source that I'm checking. Might be able to scare up a new Uberti. I have a Walker and an "60 Army", so I can be a little patient. I really like to personally inspect firearms.