Whitetail Hunter's. 6.5 CM,7mm-08,308?

std7mag

I'd go with the 7mm-08, and not look back...

For deer and similar sized game, I'd use either the 139gr Hornady SST or Interlock, or the 140gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip or Berger hunting VLD.

Easily put bullets in the kill zone from hunting positions out to 400+ yards.

artsmom

I am not sure how a .300 Winchester Magnum is overkill at 300-400 yards, unless you just want another rifle or you are developing a flinch. Also remember that if you didn't strand yourself in a tree stand or blind, many times you can cut that yardage down some. Not always but a lot of times.

Any or all that are mentioned are just as good as the rest out in the field, but there can be hours of debate here on the forum.

jrothWA

Have a 7mm Rem Mag for use out West, but no chance to use ,,

now back in MI and looked at powder and decide to load down using IMR4064 to approach 7mm MAUSER loads with bullest seated touching the "leade".

Spoke with Sierra Techs and both endorse the different powder for lower velocity loads.

Can't wait till November and going up=North for opening week.give it a try.

kraigwy

Any of the three would suit your purpose, 400 yards isn't what I'd call long range though.

HOWEVER. I sent my wife to Gunwerks LR Shooting school where she got hooked on the 6.5 CM. Had to buy her a Ruger PR in 6.5 CM.

Then I got hooked and bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM.

I load 140 gr. ELDs., the remaining energy at 600 yards is 1365 ft lbs. at 600 yards, not the 139-300 listed above. (My MV is 2750).

The 6.5 is one of the best long range rounds you'll find, with my load it remains super sonic to over a mile. (G1 BC 620).

More then adequate for deer, lots of LR shooters use them on elk.

Its gonna have a much milder recoil then the 7-08, or 308. That was one of the selling points for my wife. She broke her back and has 3 rods between her shoulder blades and can't handle much recoil at all, but she can shoot her CM all day without discomfort.