Votes: 23 20.9%
  • GP-100 .357 magnum

Votes: 87 79.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alert

the P-90 isn't very pretty but

it makes up for that shortcoming when you squeeze the trigger, .45ACP seems to be kinder to my ears :)

Wes S.

I'd take the GP-100, too. In a New York minute.

The P-90 is an excellent gun, but having handled several I've found I can't reach the safety with my thumb when holding it in a firing grip, even with the safety lever in the down, on-safe position. At least with my Beretta 92SB Compact I can flick the safety off without changing my grip...

Also, I have a 50th Anniversary Blackhawk in .357, so I've already got a fair assortment of ammo on hand to shoot in a GP-100. I was actually looking for a GP-100 or Smith 686 when I found the Blackhawk instead...and a GP or 686 is still on my short list of guns I really want. Preferably with a three inch barrel and (if I get a GP) a roundbutt grip.

haymaker

I have one of each and like them both. With the Hogue grips the P90 fits my hand better and it has a better trigger. I like the versatility of the GP100. I'm on the fence on this one.

If this was to be my first, or only centerfire handgun I would be getting a carry gun for self-defense. If this was going to be a Ruger my first choices wouldn't be either a GP100, or a P90. They are both too big and bulky. I'd go with a SP101, or a P345.

However, in answering the question as it was asked, I guess I'd go with the GP100 and a trigger job.

rantingredneck

Buy both, I did.......

You really won't feel right about yourself until you own both :D. Good thing they're priced reasonably enough that it's fairly easy to do so.

the P-90 has a face only a mother could love..

That may be true, but when mine does 8 round groups like this, freehanded, from 15 yards every day of the week and twice on Sunday, I think I'll keep it.

P90%20Target%207-26-07.jpg

My P90 and my two P345's are insanely accurate. P97 I owned was too, Just couldn't warm up to it's ergos.

marino13

gp100

havent been able to fire mine yet-4 inch stainless--waiting for hogue tamer grip--pictures dont do it justice--hold one in person-what a well built machine

Crimp

I voted for the venerable GP100, a great work horse. If I was to have a Ruger auto, I believe it'd be the P345.

sandbag

I went with my daughter to buy her first handgun some years ago and she bought a GP-100 at my urging-she likes it for the range and for home defense-it's a simple,sturdy,reliable piece for anyone-pistolero or not,who wants to stick to something basic-unless someone is going to take an interest in handguns,I don't advise automatics because they demand time and effort to understand their workings and the differences between different types(i.e.magazine disconnector or not?)-so my son,who likes to shoot has a few semiautos.

Crestliner

GP100 hands down.

I just bought a Ruger SP101 .357. While not in the same category as the GP, it's a fine PD firearm. When I test fired the SP, my son had is P-90 as well, which I fired. No comparison. I liked the SP much more so than the P-90. If the GP100 is anything like my SP, all I can say is BUY IT! JMO.

rugersp101

Ruger GP100 for sure. Preferably the 3" heavy barrel fixed sight version, with the original style short Ruger/Letts grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.