Which Rifle to Take

FITASC

because when you're climbing mountains every ounce will hammer you down.

Agree! As someone who has climbed the mountains in central northern NV years ago, boots get the highest priority followed by the weight of the gear. If you're a flatlander and you'll be climbing above 9000, you need to allow time to get acclimated to avoid altitude sickness. Loose shale-like terrain is brutal going up AND down, especially if you are toting your trophy. I would opt for the lightest rifle that will do the job, and if possible, do a lot of scouting beforehand.

HiBC

You ordered your barrel. This comment may be moot,but just for fun,lets talk about the 7-08 Christiansen Ridgeline.
Its Lightweight and you have it. You might ask your outfitter what he thinks.

I have a few points to offer.

1) Unclenick is a Man to pay attention to. I have no idea how many rounds you fire to determine "Its a 1/2 MOA rifle" Unclenick has models that show we can get nice 3 shot or 5 shot groups that can mislead us. Our magic :OOOO AHHH 1/2 MOA load is likely a nice random cluster. Same load,same rifle,same day shoot a 20 round group and you will get other nice little clusters in slightly different locations. Sample size.
2)Call me a heretic but up to a point,group size isn't everything. Lets talk about the difference between 1/2 MOA and 1 1/2 MOA . The 1/2 MOA on theory will place its POI within 1/4 in of POA (point of aim.) The 1 1/2 MOA rifle will be within 3/4 in. Difference? 1/2 in at 100 yds. Or,in theory 3 inches at 600 yds. Many other factors can make that much difference.
Yes! You need enough accuracy . But 1 lb rifle weight or 150 fps velocity might be a fair trade for a suspected 1/2 MOA accuracy.
My Nosler book shows RE=15 and RE=19 performing well with 140 gr BTs

But Varget,IMR 4350, IMR 4895,and others approach or exceed 2850 fps with the 26 in test barrel . The 25 fps per inch rule of thumb would suggest a 150 fps loss for a 20 in barrel. That MAY indicate near 2700 is a reasonable goal.(Or not!)

Its a boost from 2550. You can gain SOME and retain "pretty darn good" Accuracy.

3) We tend to focus on the 1% or 5% shot. The 600 yd shot. It may be your only shot! True. Talk to your outfitter. I used to think in terms of the 600 yd rifle. I built a 30-338 around the idea, 2900 fps with a 200 gr Accubond, Then with my 257 AI I made about a 450 yd shot on a Pronghorn. DRT. Neck shot. But I was aiming heart/lung. Some mystery thread of wind. No bragging shot. Ot was humbling.
I know, We have a lot of long range experts here. I had a lasered 1100 yd spot on the ranch I used to shoot. No bench,but a bipod . I shot a fair number of targets there. It was not unusual to place 5 that could all hit a gallon jug. (Win Model 70 Classic Laredo 7mm Rem, Leupold 4,5 to 14 Long Range) But IMO,thats not the same as hunting.

Ask your outfitter . Is a 600 yd rifle worth 2 or 3 lbs weight over a 450 yd rifle? I can't tell you. I bet the outfitters nightmare is a botched 600 yd shot.

You could work up a hi-vel accurate 7-08 load and take a back up rifle.

Last edited:

stagpanther

Might I offer an alternative suggestion. ; )

Full disclosure, I don't hunt anymore, but I do work on hunting rifles for friends that are very active hunters that hunt everything from small game all the up to the big 5 (they supply ammo and I get to shoot all kinds of rifles I would otherwise never have a chance to, so it's a good deal for me). I keep track of who tags what when they come back from a hunt and what it was shot with. The one "do-it-all" chambering that almost never fails to fill the tag is the 300 weatherby magnum. Long range--check. Tremendous kinetic energy-check. Flat trajectory with huge point-blank zero window--check. High probability of "DRT" and reduced probability of run-off or lost game--check. I recently shot one of their new lightweight Mk 5's in 300wbym--while I wasn't crazy about the psychedelic use of dippy paints and cerokoting everything metal; that seems to be the unstoppable trend in ultralight hunting rifles--I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot and I did not notice any increased felt recoil compared to older/heavier Mk 5's.

We could go on all day discussing accuracy--but as Carlos Hathcock would say--only one shot really counts, the first and only cold-bore shot.;)

Last edited: