Which rifle for distance fun!!

Rangefinder

T-Mac>>> You're up there in my old stomping ground---use to live right above Court Sheriff there at Canyonferry and know every rock and tree through Hellgate and Avalanche Canyon all the way through the 4x4 trails to York and beyond. Say "hello" to the area for me next time you're out there.

OK, back on topic--sorry.

MacGille

Long distance rifle

I couldn't resist adding my two cents here even though the other replies pretty much covered the subject. :) I shoot for fun, and except for my .17HMR and my .22, I sight all of my rifles in at 2-300 yd. The longer ranges are much more challenging and consequently more fun. Admittedly shooting for group size at 100 yd. can be fun,:D but I like to hit small targets at long range. Any centerfire rifle can be a long range gun. A .30-30 is a blast at 350 yd. You just have to know how to compensate for range with the weaker cartridges. During the Civil War (a misnomer if there ever was one) the Sharpshooters under Col. Berdan were shooting a .58 cal minie ball at 1,000 yd. to a good effect. The point is, for fun,;) shoot whatever you want to(or can afford to) at the longest range you can find and have a blast.:D :D :D

tINY

The Savage LRPV in 223 has a 1:9 twist. You should be able to kill any kind of paper or can out to 600 yards with that - using 62 -75 grain loads.

-tINY

garryc

No 22-250 fpr target shooting. The barral will burn out fast unless you wait between stings until it cools. 308 is the way to go or 3006 if it will shoot Mil ball ammo.

jlmurphy

I have a switch barrel rifle and shot 3 calibers (.22-250, 6.5x55,.308) last week. Like others have stated, the .22-250 is a laser to 300 yds, but past that the bullet seems to get lost in the wind. The 6.5x55 is a pure joy to shoot, and would be my choice for long range ( 1,000 yds) because of the high B.C. bullets available. With that said, I would buy a .308 first, the Savage would be fine, and a decent scope. The Mil Dot or other ranging system gives very convenient aiming points for long range. Upgrade the stock when you can afford to.

kwkoch

It is so easy to say "im going to buy a new rifle that will do this or that",but there are 3-5 guns already in the closet that have not been shot enough to get the most out of them..

but there is nothing wrong with buying a new rifle, except maybe running out of space in the safe :)

if you want to buy a new rifle the previous posts covered it well. for fun i think the 30.06 would be great due to the wide variety of offerings from the manufacturers. if you want to stick with what you got the ar-15 would also be a great choice. just as long as your out there shooting its all good.

KwKoch,,,Nothing wrong with buying rifles ,Im just saying don't buy one for a purpose if your rifle you already own serves that purpose fine..Im saying don't buy something Unless your 100% sure it is what you wan't and will serve the purpose..Im not made of money and when I waste money on something that I didn't need/Or truly wan't it pisses me off..I guess that is why My only rifle is an ar15 and a shotgun..I get 100% satisfaction out of my ar15 and have no interest in buying something else unless I run into alot of money.I am also the type of person who would rather use ten rounds fired at 600 yards(trying to group) than 2000rnds fired at 100 yards without a purpose..I guess Im saying If your going to buy a rifle make sure it will satisfy your desire for a gun and purpose..If you already own a gun that will do what you wan't you will appreciate it more when you actually use it instead of having it in a closet somewere.You will be a better shot with that rifle as well,And you will save money for other things like Ammo,targets,Optics,Cleaning supplies,Reloading gear,Gas,Food,The light bill,,And last but not least--BEER,..If you have the money for a gun collection,,go for it ,,But if you(Chadm)just wan't to enjoy what you have I would drag that ar15 out and have fun.If you have nice show guns keep -em safe,and use the ar15 that was built for this purpose.JMO:)

Picher

I have .223 Rem, .22-250 Rem and .270 Win. rifles, but for range fun I still enjoy the .22 LR. I can shoot more, it costs less, and I don't need to handload! Barrels don't even heat up, unless shooting extended rapid fire strings.

Believe me, it's as tough or tougher to hit a silhouette at say, 150 yards with a .22 LR sporter than it is to hit most targets with a centerfire out to 500 yards. Wind can really make those little pills dance. Wind flags and doping the wind are really necessary.

Even rimfire benchrest at 50 yards is a tougher game than centerfire benchrest at 100 and 200 yards because the bullets don't behave the same as supersonic centerfire bullets in the wind. Not only do they deflect horizontally, but somewhat vertically, both above and below the zero, depending wind angle.

Picher

Picher,, That to me sounds like alot of fun,:D Maybe my next rifle will have to be a nice 22lr with some match ammo..Cheap fun at reasonable distances sounds like a BLAST 2 Me.Thats my biggest problem is finding 600-1000yards to have fun and enjoy the challenge.There is always trying for best groups at 100yrds but its just not the same.But I bet lobbing 22lr onto target would be a blast. For now I will just have to settle for my Very accurate and fun(gun of my life) AR15:)BTW How far from Jefferson,ME are you:)??

chadm

I looked at a DPMS .308 Flat top with 24" S.S. barrel today!! Sure is pretty:p . One of these should be every bit as accurate as a bolt, shouldn't it? What are your thoughts about DPMS? How do the other companies compare in price? Sorry for all the questions!! I am still torn between a .308 and a 22-250 bolt.:confused:

The 2 dpms uppers I have owned have been excellent(10.5 223,and my current 223 24" stainless bull a3 upper)My barrel now will shoot under 1 M.O.A.(once 4 out of 5 were under 3"@625yards) 625yards through many shots..I believe I am the only thing keeping it from doing better.Not bad at all for what I paid for the upper.I have babied the barrel from day one it is very smooth and does not foul easy..Maybe I am lucky with my purchases from dpms but I would buy one again for sure..I think Almost 100% sure you would get better accuracy out of the 308 over the 22-250 as well as better throat life.

Picher

Bucky,

I'm in the Augusta area and shoot at Capitol City R&P. We're limited to 200 yards/meters there, but have three outdoor ranges with covered firing points and an indoor range.

We have several kinds of outdoor matches including: Cowboy Action, Action Pistol, 3 Position Smallbore, Centerfire Benchrest, Rimfire Benchrest, and Hi-Power.

Here's the club website: http://www.capitolcityrpc.org/

Picher

I have been thinking about joining a Gun club:)Thanks for the info!I am just 25minutes from Augusta.Lived there for about 6 months and loved it.Now I own some land and have 100yrds setup and taped off and back-stopped with hundreds of acres behind me:D .Maybe Ill see you there sometime?Thanks again,Ill check into that website.

Picher

Bucky,

The Lincoln County R&P range is on Old Route 1 in Damariscotta. You may want to check that club out also.

Picher

chadm

Well, after doing a lot of research I think I have made up my mind! I am going to get the Savage model 12 long range precision in .22-250. All of the testing on this rifle looks to be great. I am going to put a 4.5-14 Fullfield II on top of this. I think this will be a very fun gun to play with. Does anybody already have one of these to give me their opinion? Thanks for all the advice!!

chemist308

Well, I honestly think 243 would be a good choice for what you want. If you've got your heart set on something in the 22 calibers consider a 223. There are literally thousands of readily available ballistics tables for it as well. The military ammo is cheaper to shoot. If you reload, maybe the 22-250 is a good choice. You can always step it down and extend the barrel life or load it hot and sting groundhogs at a distance.