Which rifle for distance fun!!

chadm

Hello guys. This is my first post here. I am looking at getting a new rifle to do some distance shooting (200-500 yards). This is not for competition just for having fun!! I am thinking about a Savage .22-250, but am not sure which model would be the best. I really like the looks of the 12vss Varminter (with Choate stock), or do you think the Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter is that much better. The second question I have is about the Super Sniper scope. Would you go with the 10x or the 16x model on one of these guns. Any info or suggestions from you would be great!! Thank you.

Rangefinder

Seriously, at 200-500 yards, just about anything centerfire will do it. But best bets will be on a smaller caliber with high grain capability, making for a long slender bullet. 22-250 is one of the best examples of that I can think of that's easily available. I use Rem. 6mm (.243 caliber) and it's a dream to shoot at extended ranges. For optics, quality counts with extended ranges. But get something with ultra-fine crosshairs. I was playing around with my .17 HMR at 300yds a while back and have a Bushnell Trophy 3-9 on it--great out to 200. With the hold-over needed to reach 300 and the widening of the crosshairs, the orange clays were almost completely hidden. Zoom isn't the most important thing unless you're reeeealy stretching out there because you won't need it. The farther in you're zoomed, the more difficult it will be(seem) to steady your hold.

Limeyfellow

I use my Swiss 1911 for 600 yards shooting and it does a fine job. Even when I used the Lee Enfield at that distance I am getting it all on the target. Below that distance a great many rifles are going to hit without much problem. You should be fine with any .30 calibre full size round.

FirstFreedom

500 yards is a long time for the wind to work on your bullet, with detrimental effects. Thus, I'd go .243 minimum for this distance. Preferably .260 rem or .308 win. Or .223 with heavy bullets. The .22-250 is a screamer up to 300 yards or so, then peters out quickly, and when it slows down, the wind works against ya.

In any event, the Savage is a good choice, and the fixed 16 super sniper is a good choice, too for that use.

Shoney

Lock-------788 Rem
Stock------McMillen
Barrel------Lilja 20" bull
Cartridge---6mm PPC
Sight-------Unertl 10XTactical

armedtotheteeth

I couldnt resist this one. i tried , I closed the thread, but i just had to reply. ARMALITE AR-30, there, i said it. any of them will do. you can shoot ticks off your dog at 100 yards without fear of killing your dog, or 200 if you just dont care about the fleabittin hound.

Go with a 223 for fun.You will get more barrel life over a 22-250 with less recoil as well..I use an ar15 for 600 yards and its a M.O.A. or better rifle and it is an extreme joy to shoot.Use 75-77-80 gr bullets and you will find they do well in a 1-8 twist barrel for those ranges..223 is used alot for that range in competition and sometimes out to 1000yrds as well.The 223 is more than capable to 600yrds+(especially for fun) as long as you use a faster twist barrel with longer/heavier bullets..jmo:)

wolverine350

I have a new savage 111 in 25-06 caliber, has the new accu trigger and is adjustable from 1.5 to 6 lbs of trigger pull, i have it set at 1.5 lbs. This rifle rocks, just shot it this weekend and after sighting in this rifle had fired 4 rounds into the size of a quarter and the 5th about an half an inch off, (operater error firing into about a 20 mile an hour breeze) it is an awesome shooter and would be great for such distances with a 90 grain bullet, i was using the 120 grain positive expanding point by winchester. I went to the woods at 9:30 and at 10:20 took a spike buck at 132 yards and dropped him DRT. (dead right there), this caliber is low on recoil and with the scope on it is surprisingly light compared to other rifles. would make a great 400 to 500 yard shooter with excellent accuracy steve

I will also add that you can magazine feed the 77gr smk(not 100% sure about the 75gr a-max) in an ar15 and expect M.O.A. accuracy or better through a good Free floated barrel..There is nothing like just looking through the scope at 600 yrds and not having to lift the bolt to chamber another round(the ar15 has made me lazy i guess:)).Watching/and hearing your bullets slam into that 18" steel plate at that range is just awesome:D.I plan on getting a nice bolt action ultra accurate rig some day but for now I am very pleased with my ar15 at the ranges I have been shooting..When I jump up to ultra precision I will go with one of the 6.5mm in an accurized bolt action.Most ar15's in 223 will shoot at least as good as over the shelf bolt guns if not better,,Just so you know..As far as optics IMO I like more power for target shooting.I use 32X @ 625yards as long as the mirage is not a problem.I have a fine crosshair that helps alot for precision.That being said I have had no problem using 8X for that same range but you just can't see as much detail as you would wan't for grouping..So I would go with the 16x at least for long ranges..I also love having 32x for 100yrd shooting as well were you can see every breath and tremor or whatever through your optics..Well some things to think about.:)

HiBC

Long range rifle

Two to five hundred is sort of midrange.Lots of rifles will be fun to shoot.Its all about what you like.A Sharps or rolling block or trapdoor Buffalo rifle is the ticket for some.
If you like a big dust puff ,a lot of concussion,AR-30 in 338 Lapua.
The old rifle game of sillouetas metalicas,offhand,medium weight rifle,maybe a .308 and 10x scope.
You can get a rifle that shoots flat,like my M-70 Laredo in 7mag with a 4.5-14Leupold M-3 mildot,or,at those ranges,even a 16in Hbar AR-15 Would be good.I have a 2.5-8 mildot on mine.
A Garand might be a hoot.
Myself,I think a good tool like Sierras Ballistic software,learning the .308 round and trajectory,along with a good 9 to 11 pound bolt gun or maybe an AR-10 freefloat flattop has a lot to be said for it.

chadm

Wow, I can't believe all the replies already!! I was not expecting such a great response. I do have a AR-15, that I have not shot a lot. I probably should shoot it a lot more. I would still like to pick up something else to play with also. The idea of a AR-30 flat top did enter my mind, but I do not know if I can find that much cash laying around. This gives my a lot more options to think about. Please keep the ideas coming. Thanks again!!

Maser

WOW!! A long distance rifle thread that actually doesn't include a .50 BMG? I really like my Remington 700 in .338 RUM, but I admit it is a bit too much gun for me. It shoots about 2" groups at 200 yards. Haven't tried it out at longer ranges yet. I would love to try it at 1,000 yards.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking his thread and talking about my own rifle. :D

Zak Smith

500 yards isn't that far, and 308 is a good choice. There's no need for a barrel-burner or something that requires you to shoot handloads all the time.

Honestly,I can't tell you how many times I have seen people over look the rifles they already own that are probably more than capable of doing what they want:)..I have been learning more and more that I am the biggest limitation to accuracy.I have built my rifle over the period of about 2 years and have almost $2500 into it.But it is now the ultimate enjoyment for me because I built it for an exact purpose of what I wanted to do with it..Im saying this because in my appinion most people buy a gun because of an impression or idea of getting something out of it that there not experiencing now,,Kind of like the excitement of getting a new toy..It is so easy to say "im going to buy a new rifle that will do this or that",but there are 3-5 guns already in the closet that have not been shot enough to get the most out of them..I mean no offense by what im saying because ive done it a bunch of times.I have been learning every time I go shooting that(especially when I do dry fire tests)that I am the limiting factor in accuracy and my rifle is more than capable of exceeding my expectations..Alot of people don't learn proper shooting technics to get the most out of there rifles so they are never satisfied with what they have.Also there is the different handloads and ammo that make a difference,Or how about proper cleaning technics??..If you wan't accuracy to 500-600 yards for fun.BELIEVE ME spend more time with that ar15 at those ranges and you might be pleasantly surprised.Fully enjoy what you have.I don't have enough time to enjoy or get the most out of the 1 rifle I own(well besides my shotgun)let alone buy another one. JMO:)

joshua

If Savage will bring out their LRPV rifle chambered in 260 Rem utilizing 120 grain bthp will be my vote for up to 600 yards. A 5.56 shooting 77 grain bthp through a 7 or 8 twist barrel will do and do it cheaper up to 600 yards. Like someone mentioned, some shooters used the 223 or 5.56 up to 1000 yards. I've looked through a SS scope a couple of times and I've had mixed opinions about them. They are cheaper, but that is doing away with full coating of the lense. When I looked through the conditions were ideal so everything looked alright to me, but how will it perform during an overcast or sun in front of you condition? I hope someone here with better experience will chime in on the SS scope. josh

T-Mac

.22-250 will be good for that, Chad.
It doesn't kick much and are generally, very accurate.
In Montana (here) those are not long distances.
I know I sure like my .22-250 and 200-250yds is a common shot taken out here.