Which one would you choose?

Deaf Smith

Wish that 28 was a 25... but presuming both of them lock tight, shoot strait, no nickel is pealing, I guess I'd get the 28 (but then I have several good K frames anyway.)

Deaf

MLeake

The cylinder on the N-frame is both thicker and more massive than the cylinder on the K-frame.

This is good for handling heavy loads, as it is stronger and has more inertia against recoil.

This is bad for carry, as it is bulkier and heavier.

Of course, these points have been addressed, and you are looking at a house and range gun.

Feel and fit have also been addressed. I'd caveat that, though - the grip frame on the N is slightly larger, so if you have small hands you can only get so small with the N-frame grips before the K-frame gets an advantage. OTOH, you can easily get oversize aftermarket grips for either, so if you have average or larger hands, I wouldn't rule out either gun based on grip feel.

The K-frame is likely to have a nicer DA trigger, all things being equal, as the N has that bigger, heavier cylinder. Given similar trigger pull lengths, the N trigger has to push the hand farther, and against more mass, so it will have a heavier pull. (It should be smooth, but it should also be heavier.)

I've heard from a couple long-time owners that extensive DA shooting tends to wear out the small parts on the N's, eventually, due to their higher work-load. I have not worn out either of my N-frame triggers yet, but they are .44s and their round counts may not ever get all that high.

So, my take on it would be I'd go with the 28 if I thought I'd use the gun for hunting, as it can comfortably handle loads that would be painful, and possibly questionable, in the 19.

I'd go with the 19 if I thought I'd be likely to carry it, or if I wanted to do a lot of DA shooting. It is not recommended to use 110gr or really hot 125gr .357 Magnums in the K-frames, due to the thinner wall of the forcing cone at the bottom, right above the frame window; there were some problems with forcing cone cracking using really hot loads with light bullets. However, a lot of K-frame owners will (truthfully) tell you they've shot lots and lots of 125 with no problem at all. So, while I personally prefer 158s in my 13 and 65s, and typically load them with hot .38 158s, I wouldn't worry too much about shooting normal 125 .357s from any of them.

Of course, hot magnums and K-frames aren't the most comfortable pairing... so again if I wanted to shoot a lot of hot loaded magnums, I'd go with the 28.

Merry Christmas,

M

Edit: PS, I personally find that K-frames point and balance better than virtually any other handgun ever made. And I have .44's for hunting and woodland use... so I'd go with the 19 on this one. YMMV.

Marquezj16

Lots of great info so far...

My hand seems to adapt well to grips. I have a 92FS which has a fat grip, a SP2022 with a medium grip, a SA Milspec which has a thinner grip and an LC9 that has a tiny grip. I think for me it's more of ergonomics. Guns do have to feel good in my hands for me to like them.

only because there are very few original nickel model 28's
and it would seem to be refinished..

How can you tell if it was refinished?

madcratebuilder

If you want to shoot it get the 28, if you want to look at it get the 19. The N frame 28 well be a better shooter for you and can handle any .357 load on the market.

Sgt.Fathead

I'll agree with those who have stated that it'll all depend on how they feel in your hand. Both are fine designs and venerable models. Personally, I'd go for the 28 but the only revolvers I ever carry are J frame sized pocket .38s.

I would suggest that you look at the sticky regarding buying a revolver at the top of the Revolver Forum here as that is a wealth of knowledge for you to utilize. I have used many of the techniques listed there over the years to determine whether what I was considering buying was worth the price or trade value. Cylinder endshake and lockup are unfamiliar terms to most semi-auto guys and some wheel gun owners, too.

Good luck and please keep us advised! We all expect better pictures and a range report soon.

BCDWYO

I agree with all the comments posted so far. I own both N frames and K frames and I think there is a pretty significant difference in the feel between the two. I've got medium to large hands and I still find the trigger reach on an N-frame is almost too long for me to comfortably fire double action if I get the trigger in the "power crease" of my first joint. The k-frames on the other hand, fit perfectly. The other noticable difference in firing is the muzzle axis is lower with the K-frames so they seem to have less muzzle flip. Bottom line they are both great, but if you can only have one or the other, you should really handle both and at least dry fire (preferably live fire) both to see which one fits you better. I suspect you will find one that "feels more right". Good luck!

Idahoser

get the 28 if these choices is all you have to choose from. You do need a K frame but you want a P&R so this isn't the one.

Then put a Tyler T grip in front of those pretty stags. That gap between the front of the grip and the rear of the trigger guard is painful.

surveyor

How can you tell if it was refinished

28's came as satin blued 4" and 6" barrels
there were 25 5" guns for florida highway patrol in nickel finish
shipped in 1959

5 reported to be made in satin nickel as sales sample for Adolph Black Inc.

so nickel is rare in this model..and most have been accounted for.

I've seen somewhere that a refinished (smith factory) would have a N stamped in the cylinder and under the grip, but I can't find the reference.. the hammers, sights, and triggers were not nickel on the factory refinish..

it does not take away from the shoot-ability of it, like I said earlier, I have one in 6", and its nicely done..I don't know if it was factory refinished or not, the only way to be sure is for me to request a letter from smith on the history..a really nice shooter..and worth (to me) what I paid for it..its got soul. The 28 in your pics may be the same way.

I don't have a 19 shooter at this time though.. but really enjoy the k frames..

Marquezj16

Thanks for all the info. I'm in the process of setting up a meeting at the range for tomorrow.

I will read the post as Sgt suggested.

If all goes well, I will have pics posted tomorrow.

Thanks again.

I have both K and N frames and love shooting them both.
I don't reload so the price of shooting expensive .357s at the range doesn't appeal to me. So I mostly shoot .38s. The 19 can handle 38s all day long, and also the heavier .357 loads when you just want to. So don't worry about shooting out either gun. There may be some who shoot .357 exclusively, but I don't know anyone who does.

For either gun, get the Hogue rubber grips if it's going to be a shooter. They are only about $20 and your hands will thank you at the end of the day regardless of which one you get.

I carry a K frame on occasion and they are great for that. But I just love shooting my N frames (.44 spl., .41 mag, and .45 Colt), and if I had the chance to get one in .357 I'd jump on it quick.

I know what you mean about the blued gun. Just something . . . "all American" about a blued S&W revolver.

Marquezj16

No deal. I thought he was resident of MS so a person to person trade would have been legal. When I mentioned having to go through FFL, he declined.
My search continues. :)

Please close thread.

Thank you,

Last edited: