Which one would you choose?

Marquezj16

I'm not a revolver guy. I've shoot some but never owned one. I own several semi-auto handguns. So not entirely new to pistols.
I'm hoping to trade for one of the pistols below. I believe one is a Model 28 and the other is a Model 19.
Which one would you choose and why?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry about the big pictures. I was hoping to show as much detail of the pistols.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-20111224-00011.jpg
    IMG-20111224-00011.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG-20111224-00012.jpg
    IMG-20111224-00012.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

Sevens

Really depends on what you wish to do with it. As far as I know, both are discontinued models. Overall, the Model 19 probably has more fans. The 28 was kind of a spartan version of the Model 27.

The 19 is a smallish K-frame and has a terrific feel due to it's size. The 28 is the large N-frame and is a large, solid, beefy handgun.

The N-frame 28 appears to have a pinned barrel, though it's difficult to be sure from the pictures. That would make it older than the Model 19 which does not.

I'd take the 19 if I were choosing between these two. I'd really love to have either, but I'm not a fan of the stag grips and the nickel plating is something you have to see in hand to really get a feel for it's condition. I also prefer the four-inch barrel of the Model 19.

But I'm sure the 28 is a great one also.

If you wanted to pound the tar out of them with hot, heavy loads, the Model 28 would take a lot more abuse without care.

If you were selling each of them right now, I would expect more demand for the Model 19.

Anyhow, let us know what else goes on... a friend selling them? How much? Can you get both? What kind of history do you have on them?

Marquezj16

Anyhow, let us know what else goes on... a friend selling them? How much? Can you get both? What kind of history do you have on them?

It's a trade for my Weatherby Vanguard Sporter 30-06. I put my value on my rifle with a Nikon scope at $500. He puts his value at $425 for the 28 and $450 for the 19. I think it will be a straight trade of one for one. I don't have the history on them. Suppose to meet at local gun club or gun shop next week to look things over. He is trading one because he has two and my rifle got his attention.

brian45auto

the Nframed model28.
the kframes are nice, fit most hands pretty good, and just feel right. but if you're going to shoot 357magnums, do it with a gun that was designed from the onset to handle them.

old bear

Both the M-19 and the M-28 are excellent revolvers and from your pictures both appear to be in like condition. But they serve two different functions. The M-19 is an excellent example of a carry a lot shoot a little handgun. I carried one of several M-19'2/66 to work daily for 27 years.

The M-28 is/was the Hummer of the S&W line of revolvers big tough heavy and will work and work well for years.
So if you want to tote go with the 19, if you want one to shoot a bunch of .357 Magnum ammo through go with the 28. I think you will be pleased with either one.

Merry Christmas all..

joyflnzz

choice

if this is your first pistol, choose the one that fits better in your hand and you like the look of best. if you are looking for a smooth shooter, buy an auto.

Shotgun693

The 19 is easier to carry. The 28 can handle .357 loads much better. Grips are very easily replaced. Holsters and speed loaders are available for both.
If the guns appear to have been shot a lot then the 28 has likely withstood the use better.
In my experience the 28 can be slicked up easier than the 19 can.

black mamba

I could be mistaken, but I thought all 28s had fixed sights. As this one has the adjustable sights, it might be a Mod. 27. I would take the larger N-frame in the nickel finish, as it should be stronger than the smaller framed weapon, and the nickel cleans up so easily.

kraigwy

I could be mistaken, but I thought all 28s had fixed sights. As this one has the adjustable sights, it might be a Mod. 27.

No Sir, both the 28 & 27 have adjustable sights. The Model 27 has a bit of a fancier finish then the Model 28.

buddah4snow

As others have said, it depends upon how much you plan on shooting.. especially heavier loads. I've always been partial to the N frames so I would say the 28 unless you only plan on shooting lighter loads, like say .38 spc +p. The heavier frame will also have slightly less perceived recoil for a given load, unless you have very small hands. JMHO.

Marquezj16

Thanks for the info everyone. I did make the mistake of using pistol in place of revolver. Made it seem like this would be my first handgun.

This revolver would be used occasionally at the range and maybe nightstand duty if it proves itself (which sounds like it will). It is not going to be my carry pistol as I already have two others pulling that shift.

I was leaning towards the Model 28 because I like the heavy frame but at the same time, the blue finish on the 19 keeps me thinking about it.

Keep the comments coming.

mj246

choose the one that fits better in your hand and you like the look of best
-joyflnzz

I think this is the best advice, go with whichever one feels best in hand and don't look back. I like N-frames, but they tend to be a little large in the grip/trigger-reach areas for my smaller hands. If both feel comfortable, go with whichever one looks best or the one that fits your needs better. A stronger gun that doesn't feel good won't be shot often enough to matter that it's stronger.

surveyor

i'd get the 19...
only becuase there are very few original nickel model 28's
and it would seem to be refinished..nothing wrong with that for a shooter..

i've got a 6" nickel one myself..great shooter..a really nicely done refinish, but i don't think its original..sweet bbq gun though.

but for a collector the 19 would hold more value as it is original grips and finish..

both are good choices as far as shooters the 28 if you are planning a steady diet of fast light 357, the 19 if mainly 148-158 grain 38 & 357