Which Glock for Cartridge Versatility?

RedBowTies88

Ok, first things first...

I hate Glocks. :eek:

I've shot many, never liked one. However I believe I owe it to myself to own at least one for at least a period of time seeing as they're so prolific.

The only way such a bland gun is ever going to hold my interest is if it's in an interesting caliber. I figure this is a perfect opportunity to get into a 10mm. I also have a big interest in 9x25 Dillon. So naturally a Glock 20 should fit the bill right? Well I'm not so sure anymore.

You see most people aren't aware of this but buying a handgun here in the wonderful state of NJ is a HUGE HASSLE and it takes MONTHS. Not days or weeks. So I figure a platform where I can change calibers as I please would be beneficial.

As I understand it the Glock 21 is the most versatile in this department, and is able to be converted to basically any stock Glock caliber and then some. So then this would be the best choice right? Well I'm still not so sure. You see I already have a 1911 and have no real interest in a .45 Glock. I also have no interest in doing a 460 Rowland kit or .45 super.

So, now that you've wasted a minute or 2 of your life reading all that long winded nonsense... do you think I should go with the more versatile, cheaper, easier to find 21 with a stock barrel that I'll never use? Or go with the cooler, less common, bad boy 20?

tulsamal

True, if you really want to use the longer cartridges. I would actually rather have a .40 size model. Then you can use .40, .357 SIG, 9mm, etc. In my case, I wasn't looking for a carry gun so I went with the Glock 35. Then I got a Javis custom .357 SIG barrel. Which stays in the gun 95% of the time. I could also get a 9mm barrel if I wanted to do so.

I've always liked the longer slide Glocks the best. You should try shooting one.

Gregg

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
In theory, you'd want to start with a 45 because you need the hole in the slide to be big enough to accept a 45 barrel. All smaller caliber barrels would simply be thicker. You couldn't get a 45 barrel in a 9mm.

The "theory" part of that is if you're getting custom barrels made. You'd also have to replace the extractors in some instances and certainly use different magazines, which is probably obvious.

If you're not ordering custom made barrels, IIRC, a G20 has the most aftermarket barrel options. You can do 40Super, 357sig, 40SW, 9mm, 9x25 Dillon, 38Super, 400 Corbon maybe a couple others.

All those and a couple more could be done in a 45, there's 45super for example, but I don't know if anyone makes (without custom ordering) the barrels for all those in a 45 slide.

Last edited:

Walt Sherrill

In theory, you'd want to start with a 45 because you need the hole in the slide to be big enough to accept a 45 barrel. All smaller caliber barrels would simply be thicker. You couldn't get a 45 barrel in a 9mm.

In theory, that's correct, but the breechface becomes an issue when you start with the .45. And maybe the ejector and extractor.

I haven't encountered a .45 that is THAT flexible and has the ability to use that many different conversion barrels. The best bet otherwise, as you suggest, is the Glock 20. I find that gun an uncomfortable fit in my hand, however.

The other guns that really really does that sort of conversion well (from .45 all the way down to 9) are those that use a different top-end for some of the calibers.

Witnesses do that, and you might be able to get by with a .45 slide and a 10mm slide (Glock 20?), and conversion barrels for the 10mm slide that handle .40, 38 super, .357 SIG, and 9mm. Another slide would be needed for .22.

I've read that the Glock 37 frame (.45 GAP) will accept and function with a .40 and 9mm slide (from a 17 or 22), with maybe just a single internal change. This is by folks who cliam to have done it. THat gives all of the calibers with two slides, too, but .45 GAP and .45 ACP aren't exactly the same.

I have a Glock 38, and suspect the same might be true of it (using a 19 or 23 slide), but since I have a 23 with a 9mm and .357 SIG conversion barrel, have seen no reason to go that route unless .45 GAP round is someday discontinued. (I don't reload.)

I can try the 23 slide on the .38 frame, one of these days, however.

Last edited:

pilpens

Glock 35 is what you are looking for. With change in barrel, Mag, and Recoil spring, you can shoot several calibers (9mm, .40, .357, - not sure if 10mm would work).
I think this type of conversion can be done on S&W M&P and Springfield XDm, too. So, if you hate Glocks, there are other options.

RedBowTies88

So it sounds like my original idea would be best, good ole Glock 20sf.

Thanks guys:D

Now I just need to find one and wait for that permit to come in :mad:

Walt Sherrill

Have you shot a Glock 20?

The grip/grip rame is just too large for me. The Witness grips/frame is a more-comfortable alternative IF you find the Glock 20 hard to handle. If not, go for it.

Strafer Gott

The Stock grip on the gen4 is smaller and easier to grasp. I have a gen 2 G20, and it shoots great, but the grip is just a little too big. If I can finagle it, I'll trade my gen 2 on gen 4.

PPQ226guy

I say the G20 is the way to go. As said before, you have 10mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 9x25 Dillon right there. I have med size hands and my Gen 4 feels pretty good.

ClydeFrog

If it were me....

If I had the $$$ and could select any model right now, Id lean towards a Glock 22 .40S&W gen04 with a OD frame that my local gun shop has for approx $659.00 USD. It includes 01 LoneWolf Dist 9x19mm barrel and magazine & can fire either 9x19mm or the .40S&W.
I like it because you can add a .357sig barrel later or buy the after market .22LR kit. :)
For about $500.00 to 600.00 you can buy a simple robust semi-auto that fires 4 handgun calibers with after market parts/add-ons(each sold separate).

I'm leaning towards the OD frame or limited ed Lipseys FDE type because I may have the Glock(frame) treated with a light shade Duracoat color.

www.swansonarmory.com

Clyde

allaroundhunter

For about $500.00 to 600.00 you can buy a simple robust semi-auto that fires 4 handgun calibers with after market parts/add-ons(each sold separate).

For the same $500-$600 you can have a G20 with the ability to shoot 8 or more calibers, simply by purchasing the additional hardware.

I will take a G20 over a G22 any day of the week (and yes, twice on Sunday).

Uncle Malice

Glock 20 or Glock 21 gen4 are both fantastic guns. If you're looking at getting into a new, fun caliber, the Glock 20 is a great choice. 10mm is an absolute blast to shoot and totally controllable in the Glock 20, even with full power loads.

The only conversion barrel I have for mine is the 10mm -> .40S&W. It's the only .40 gun I have anymore. 357sig and 9x25 dillon are cool rounds, but i dont reload yet and they're rather expensive otherwise.

I recently picked up a simple reloading press to start working on 45 and 10mm... but I still have to get components and dies. Not in a huge rush. It'll come when it comes.

I definitely do recommend the G20/21. They are spectacular guns. The Gen4 Glock 21 is my favorite Glock to date and I've owned all of them except for the 357sig models. The gen4 19 is a very close second... but I enjoy shooting the G21 even over my TRP.

Walt Sherrill

allaroundhunter said:
For the same $500-$600 you can have a G20 with the ability to shoot 8 or more calibers, simply by purchasing the additional hardware.

Is there a .22 conversion kit that fits the 21/20 frame?

What does a 9mm or .40 mag cost for the 21/20 frame, and where do you find them? (Can you use the 10 mm mags for the .40 round and 9mm rounds?)

Are the costs of these barrels for the larger 21/20-type frames the same as the ones for the 17/22-type frames?

Uncle Malice

Is there a .22 conversion kit that fits the 21/20 frame?

Yep. AACK makes some good ones.

What does a 9mm or .40 mag cost for the 21/20 frame, and where do you find them? (Can you use the 10 mm mags for the .40 round and 9mm rounds?)

There is no 9mm conversion for the 10mm. It doesn't have enough power to reliably cycle the slide. You can shoot 40 with nothing more than a barrel swap because the magazines are the same.

Are the costs of these barrels for the larger 21/20-type frames the same as the ones for the 17/22-type frames?

Pretty much, yeah. I ordered the Lone Wolf conversion barrel. I paid extra for the blind marked barrel and also the upgrade for the blackened barrel. Now it looks like a standard Glock barrel when it's in the gun. Even with the upgrades, I think I only paid about $160 for it.

Cheapshooter

I really like my Gen 3 G20SF. I didn't really get It for the adaptability to other calibers, but rather I didn't have either a Glock nor a 10MM. I couldn't tell any differance holding a standard G20 or the Short Frame. The SF being twenty bucks cheaper, that is what I bought.
The 9MM Dillon round looks really interesting, so some day..........::D

mohawkdcg

You started by saying that you hate Glocks. From my experience, if you start using Glocks it may be hard to stop.

I became addicted to the reliability and predictability of them. Knock on wood but I'm close to 2000 rounds through the G23 without a single malfunction of any kind in some pretty rough weather. Have not had that kind of reliability with the Beretta, M&P, Ruger or XD. I think the Glocks are uglier than all of those but they grow on you.

Now have the G27 and planning to get the G22, G20 and G19. If you are thinking of getting the G20 keep in mind that it is a little wider than the others.