which enfield?

whic one?

• mk1 no. 3

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • mk 4 no. 1

Votes: 36 78.3%

• Total voters

wudjalike2no

im wanting to get some early 1900's military bolt actions, and i dont know which enfield to get, the mk 1 no. 3, or the mk 4 no 1. i would assume the mk4 is better since it is the newer model, but i always see the mk1 for a higher price

Hkmp5sd

Do like I do after my safes were too packed, disassemble some of the long guns. :) You forgot the Mk. 5 Jungle Rifle, BTW. Gotta have one of those too.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
While the No.4 Mk.1 is a better rifle in every way, the pig-nosed WWI Smelly is infinitely cooler. ;)

S_O_Laban

Intresting. Am I right then,based on what's been posted in this thread that the #4 would be the one to get if your more intrested in shooting it than just collecting it. Are any of the Enfields more accurate than the others?

Leatherneck

Second the vote for both SMLEs--they're very reasonable, and the cosmoline doesn't take more than an entire weekend to remove. :D

TC

michael t

Now Leatherneck don't fib. It took my wife nearly a week out in the garage before mine would pass my inspection :D

jefnvk

Both, to start out with.

Then you need a 1917 and an Ishapore 2A/1. Don't forget about the jungel carbine, too.

You'll get dragged in quick ;)

dfaugh

Personally

I like the No.1 MkIII better....I guess 'cause its the "classic" SMLE...Mine is WWI vintage which I like, too...

greg531mi

Find a 2A Issy, cheaper surplus ammo out there in 308........ Though, I pick up 303 PMP at Dumhams for $5.99 with their super Sunday sales.....

DT Guy

Hey, where's the button for the #5?

The only Enfield a person under 6'4" can carry normally...

Larry

Drue

I'm with Tamara, get the the No.1 first ( and get the No.4 later). The No.4 is a later model (1939??) that has better sights and makes a better shooter. The No. 1 Mk 3 is more "historical" since it served in both world wars plus countless other conflicts. However, the No. 1 is not a "bad" shooter. I read, on one of the boards, that there was a speed/ accuracy contest in 1914, before the war started, in England. The drill was to hit a 12" black circle on a white paper at 300 yards as many times as possible in one minute, prone, starting with a loaded rifle. Sergent Instructor ( someone whose name escapes me ) won with 38 hits in one minute. This is 38 aimed shots with 3 (2 clip ) reloadings in one minute with a bolt rifle. The rifle was a No. 1 Mk 3 Short Magazine Lee Enfield.

Drue

Gewehr98

Collect the whole set!

The classic looks of the NoIMkIII* SMLE just ooze "battle rifle":

smle-3.jpg

And while the No4Mk1 is indeed nice, the ultimate refinement of the No4Mk1, as intended for fighting in thick cover, is worthy of one's gun collection, too. (No5Mk1 "Jungle Carbine")

jc-3.jpg

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Actually, my holy grail of Enfields would be the No.1 Mk.V, with its classic "pignose" profile combined with a receiver-mounted aperture sight...