Which do you think is the best?

Graham88

For me it is always about the Fit, finish, quality, and materials.... I have played with afew Guns and IMHO the Walther P99 has all that I need in Reliability Form and Function... and the feel in my hand is perfect!
If I had to have just one gun,..... this woud be it....... and the PPS :D
standard.jpg

passintime

I no longer own mine because I am an idiot, but in the price range you are looking, my Smith and Wesson 1911 was VERY nice and the fit and finish were superb.

varoadking

I'm wanting to know what your guys opinions are on what you consider to be a well built, solid, dependable gun.

I have safes full of these, though half - give or take - are no longer in production...

Tell me - "Grab one that's a current production piece and go..." - and it would likely be an HK 45...

BigJimP

The best gun I own ( and still in production ) Wilson Combat, Protector model, 5", 1911 of course, all stainless ..... but not under $1,000 that you asked about....(they are currently selling new for around $ 3K ). I especially like the Protector in 9mm and .45 acp .

Under $ 1,000 Sig 226 / its a solid full sized gun in 9mm / .40 or / .357 sig ...and I have a couple of versions of the 226.

The best 1911 under $1,000 - Springfield - in my opinion.

IanS

I'm wanting to know what your guys opinions are on what you consider to be a well built, solid, dependable gun.

Glock 17, 19, 34, and 26

SIG Sauer P226 9mm stamp steel slide (circa 1995)

Springfield Custom Professional (1911)

Les Baer TRS (1911)

Fit, finish, quality, and materials....

Completely irrelevant for a defensive pistol. I don't care if its made of pot metal. A lot of people who own polymer pistols today used to swear they'd never own a gun made out of "plastic", myself included. A defensive pistol that looks nice but poops the bed every few thousand rounds is a toy. Your perspective about a gun changes if you know you can't rely on it. If I was buying a Perrazzi or a Freedom Arms Revolver that's when I'd get my magnifying glass and calipers out.

Last edited:

NWCP

My HKs are the best of course. You're going to get a million 'unbiased' recommendations from shooters that believe the pistols they own and enjoy are the best. Go to a range, rent some different makes and calibers and decide on which one works for you.