Which do you think is the best?

DBAR

What is the most well built gun that you own, or have owned. I'm looking for currently produced guns, not the 20 year old 1911 that you have.

EDIT: The statement about the 1911 is an example. I love 1911's. What I was trying to say, was that I didn't want to hear about the best gun being one that was made 20 years ago, and isn't made with the same level of quality in this day.

Fit, finish, quality, and materials....

I'm wanting to know what your guys opinions are on what you consider to be a well built, solid, dependable gun.

Lets try to leave out your favorite gun that you own, that's the only gun that you own, so it has to be the best gun made, thought.

I don't care about 9mm vs. 45acp, or compact vs. full size.

Just looking for what you think is the best.

Last edited:

Uncle Malice

For me, I don't even have to think about it...

Sig P220/P226/P229 Elite Stainless models.

I don't think the particular model matters... but the Elite Stainless series from Sig is just amazing.... I'm sure the X-Five series is just as good... and probably even better... but I don't own one, so I can't say.

I have handled some 1911's... I have owned a Kimber but sold it before I ever even shot it because it just felt.... yuck. No way to explain it other than that. Yesterday I held an STI Spartan at the shop and it felt and looked 10 times more well built and solid than the Kimber... for several hundred dollars less.

Leejack

Is there a budget for this purchase?

There are lots of well built dependable guns to choose from in many different price ranges.

If funds were unlimited, I might go for a high dollar, current production 1911.

Lee

DBAR

Uncle Malice,

I have a Sig P220 SAO, and I love it, but I hear too many problems with them lately. Last night I read a thread about a guy that had a barrel lug break on his P226 with less than 2,000 rounds through it. There have been a lot of complaints about Sig quality, and materials lately, so I don't think I'll be buying any of their American made guns for a while. I might get a P228 (German Produced) that's currently available. I'm still considering it, but I'm keeping an open mind.

DBAR

DBAR

Is there a budget for this purchase?

There are lots of well built dependable guns to choose from in many different price ranges.

If funds were unlimited, I might go for a high dollar, current production 1911.

Lee

Less than $1,000, and closer to $800 would be nice.

Uncle Malice

DBAR,

I too have "Heard" and "Read" all the negative things about Sigs more recent production models.

In person, I have yet to see any issues, either with any of my own Sigs or with any of those that my friends own.

Someone's barrel lug broke after less than 2000 rounds.... That's fine. I'm sure Sig happily replaced the part for him. The fortunate thing with potential metallurgical problems on any given part is that if there is a weakness, it will generally show it's face pretty early on. I'm actually surprised it wouldn't have been something more like 200 rounds, of course the lug is a pretty thick piece and I'm sure it would take a fair amount of bashing for a crack to finally shear all the way through the metal.

I don't believe this is a flaw in workmanship or quality. I understand that sig has made a few pieces in a MIM format recently that used to be milled steel. I don't personally see a huge problem with that. I have not had to deal with Sigs customer service, so I have no opinion on that. If something goes wrong with any of my guns, I will be more than happy to document my proceedings here, whether they are good or bad.

With all of that said, I stand by my observation that my Elite series are the best guns that I currently do or have owned to date.

Don't lose your faith in Sig because of Internet hyperbole. :)

Leejack

I never owned a sig.

But, I have shot the 229 quite a bit (.40 cal).

That gun was a tac driver!;) I don't know what the current price is for a new one.

The Baretta 92FS is also an outstanding gun in my humble opinion. It is much less than $800 new.

Lee

azredhawk44

I'm wanting to know what your guys opinions are on what you consider to be a well built, solid, dependable gun.

Lets try to leave out your favorite gun that you own

I'm torn as to whether or not it's my favorite gun, but it is fighting hard with a Colt Commander for that distinction.

I fail to see why that should disqualify it from consideration, though.

I have a CZ-75B in satin nickel finish.

100_0499.jpg

It is eerily accurate. I can punch out smiley faces on targets at 30 feet with it, a la Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon. The fit of the barrel diameter to the front of the slide is impeccable. There is no slop, but it glides smoothly. The barrel hood is smooth as is the internal surface of the slide on which it rides during recoil and cycling. The breechface is also glass-smooth and cartridges slide up cleanly. Extractor tension is perfect and I get a nice collectible pile of brass about 10 feet to my right, no dings from mashing against the ejection port walls at all.

The gun is a pleasure to own and now that I have a MTAC shell for it for my MTAC holster, it rides on my hip as my EDC. It is a wonderful pistol. I have yet to find any fault in its craftsmanship.

It exhibits higher quality of machining and assembly than my $900 Colt LW Commander, and at only a $500 price tag.

DBAR

I fail to see why that should disqualify it from consideration, though.

A 20 year old Colt 1911 is not manufactured anymore. Colt makes 1911's, but not the same way they did, so I don't consider it as a new purchase option.

DBAR

Sig 220,229, I hate to admit it. I'm kind of a 1911 guy.

I'm a 1911 guy as well.

The statement about the 1911 was an example. I love 1911's. What I was trying to say, was that I didn't want to hear about the best gun being one that was made 20 years ago, and isn't made with the same level of quality in this day.

DBAR

Sig P210 ,and if you don't agree I can only assume you don't own one .

GONIF,

I wish I had one, and could afford one. The P210 certainly is a very nice gun, but not readily available.

DBAR

Coltman 77

HK P30 L

Per your requirements regarding "fit, finish, quality, and materials.... less than 20 yrs old".

I'd have to choose my P30 L. The HK is an awesome, rugged, uber-high-quality, accurate, and robust pistol. Extremely well made.

DSCN1084.jpg