Which bolt-action .308?

MagicMan

I've been wanting a Remington 700 in .308 for quite some time & even more after I shot one last year, but I have to stop & wonder about what else is out there.

Are there any comparable bolt-action .308s for considerably less money? It will be used on the range & to take care of zombies when the apocalypse takes place. :eek:

Kreyzhorse

Take a look at the Savage line. The 110 or 111 are well made accurate rifles. Not as pretty as a Remington, but you can't beat them for price or out of box accuracy.

This topic comes up every 48 hrs. I asked again anyway a few days ago. And researched it extensively. Partly due to availibility in Lefty, I have decided to go with the Rem SPS Varmint in 308. In the sub $2000 price range it is hard to beat for accuracy, value, and styling. The Savage 10VP is roughly equivalent. Almost everyone makes a great 308, most cost much more than the remmy, with little added quality. If you like righty bolts and have the money, I believe that the Sako TRG 22, the Steyr SSG, and the Accuracy International are significantly better rifles but 6-10x in price.

MagicMan

As far as price, I'm not spending anywhere near $2k. I'm looking for about $500 or less (Used would be fine with me as well)

Of course, I'm not expecting a scope on it at this price. So if there's no scope, I'll find my own.

Granski

I owned a Remington 700 BDL in .308 for 20 years. I have no idea why I sold it. It had been glass bedded, a trigger job and a heavy barrel installed. I was able to wack deer out to 300 yards no problem.

Gone through, M1AI (I know, funny deer rifle, but it was nice) &
Winchester 70.

Presently looking at the SAKO, really, really nice.

Still, wish I had the Remington back, it did everything well................

You didn't specify if you wanted stanadard contour barrell or heavy (bull) barrell. Either one is great and will give you great accuracy. Standard contour will be a little lighter in case you need to run from Zombies. My picks are:

Tikka T3 Lite or Varmint/Super Varmint - Made by Sako and has a requirement that every rifle shoot a 1" 3-shot group before leaving the factory. Sako is a 5-shot group.
Savage 10 series - Hard to beat for the money. Looks are not as great as some other guns, but then again Savage does not make "pretty" tools. They make tools that will last a lifetime and give you the most "bang" for your buck.
Howa 1500 series - Howa used to make rifles for Weatherby and a couple other mfg's so they know what they're doing. Don't let the name scare you. Just cuz you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it's not good.

tangara

How about a Spanish FR-8 Mauser? The going rate on these is $300 to $400 for large ring configuration carbine.

ISC

FR 8 is a great choice, but you ruin its value and deface a fine rifle if you drill it for a scope mount. Savage makes a great rifle, and if you are trying to save even more, consider a break action like the H&R. Extremely accurate, rugged, and inexpensive.

Some here will object, but if you don't expect to fire more than 5,000-10,000 rounds from it over its life, the Rem 710 or 770 will make a good choice, and they can be had for $200 or less used depending on the glass its wearing.

Uncle H

+1 for Savage. With their Accutrigger and their new Accu Stock, ya can't beat 'em for affordable out-of-the-box accuracy.

pizzapaiute

Weatherby package

Weatherby sells a package deal with scope and hard case for about $550. The scope is a Bushnell Banner 3-9X . It comes with a shot target to 1.5 MOA. It's not just bore sighted, but sighted in at 100 yards. That's a great deal. I'm thinking about one in .257 Weatherby.

indianhead

Can't go wrong with Savage! I've had Remingtons and Kimbers and my Savages have ALWAYS outperformed. I bought a new F-class last year in 6.5 x 284 and I was amazed. It would give a 40x a run for its money and at 1/3 the cost. The accutrigger is the best thing since sliced bread. Like you hear alot in these threads, they may not have the sexy look of others but at the end of the day when you go downrange and get your target, its the score that matters. I also have an older model 10 in 308 that I wouldnt get rid of because its never let me down, on the paper or in reliability.

kenjs1

roughly speaking - cheapest will be a Stevens 200. It is really the older model Savage without the accutrigger but only $350 or so. Reportedly excellent shooters. Spending a bit more will get you into a Howa 1500 with a nice Hogue overmolded stock. Respected firearms and makers of the actions for the Weatherby Vangards which are next up the cost chain in the low $500's. Moving up the chain gets you into the Ruger Hawkeye - a very nice, good looking American firearm for the mid $500's many would argue superior to the Remington ( matter of taste really) and Savage with the Accutrigger right there abouts. A Tikka will run from the low $500 to about $600 and that is where a CZ and Browning come into play. Nothing wrong with any of them. Just what you like and can afford. This help?

TonyAR308

Tikka T-3. Accurate right out of the box, a very nice trigger and one of the smoothest actions you can get from an off the shelf rifle. Same action as Sako. The stock is comfortable and you can get a made to fit (not grind to fit) Limbsaver recoil pad if you like, they fit the rifle very nice. Can you tell I have one? They run around $500.

314EPW

Savage 11tbh

With accue trigger.Five shots at 50 yds from a rest all in a thumb nail size hole.Rifle isn't even broken in yet!!(60 rds)

Attachments

• 000_9853.jpg
    000_9853.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 19

T-Ray

i got a nice rem 700 sps varmint that was a dicks sporting good package for less than $500, and it's a great gun. There are plenty of savages and weatherbys and whatnot for less, but i know you can get just about anything for the rem 700