Which Blackhawk?

roy reali

Tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment in Reno. While there, I am going by this gun shop. I am going to buy a Ruger Blackhawk. At this place, they have one in just about every chambering made. They even have one in .30 Carbine and one in .32 Magnum. I can't decide which chambering to get.

This will be my trail gun. Around here the most dangerous animal is probably cougars. Because they are hunted and the law tends to side with humans on self-defense shooting, they avoid people. We have coyotes, but they don't ususally bother folks. We do have some feral dogs roaming around, they are more dangerous then the other two species mentioned. The population where I live is scarce, the chances of running into human trouble is also pretty remote.

We have jackrabbits. They do make for fun targets of opportunity. Most of this state is public land, it is a plinkers paradise.

I figure that a Blackhawk in .357 magnum would me more then adequate. But then again, a single action in .45 Colt is just cool. A .44 magnum could also be enjoyable. The .32 magnum one also has some appeal. I have already have two rimfire handguns, so I won't buy another one. I just can't decide which cartridge to have in my revolver. By the way, I do reload.

I would appreciate any input. Which Blackhawk chambering would you get? Why?

jhenry

To my mind, the 2 essential single actions, Ruger or otherwise, are the .357 and the .44 Mag. Assuming of course the individual already has a quality .22 of some stripe. When narrowing the field to Rugers I think the classic outdoorsman's Ruger is the blue 7.5" Super Blackhawk.

ohen cepel

I'm a huge .357 fan and that would be my first choice. Cheap to shoot .38's in it and will take care of the critters you mentioned in your area.

bigghoss

the .32magnum should be a single six. I like the .45 colt because in the blackhawk and a few others it can be loaded hotter than the .44 magnum but right now .44 magnum ammo is actually available where as .45 colt is hard to come by. .357 mag is great but I don't like it in the blackhawk cuz it kinda seams like a waste since it's the same size. the .30 carbine has been know to have the occasional headspace issue where the hammer could actually force the cartridge deeper into the cylinder resulting in a light strike on the primer. and as I mentioned above feels like a bit of a waste to me in a gun that will hold six .44mag or .45 colt rounds.

since you really want a blackhawk I saw go for the .45 or the .44 but a gp100 .357 would be a great choice for you area dealing with cougars and the other assorted rifraff. I carry both a .45 colt blackhawk and a gp100.

mavracer

There's just no way to screw this one up any Blackhawk chambering will work, But watch out they are addictive.
My most recient addition is a Lipsey's flattop 44 Special 4 5/8" and I assure you it's special, one of the most accurate and pleasurable handguns I've ever had in my hand.

CraigC

The .32H&R could be a Blackhawk or Single Six. If a Single Six, it's a great little package but unfortunately the adjustable sight models are quite collectible, prices reflect that. The fixed sight models are of more recent production and went on clearance from Davidson's a couple years ago. They were being sold locally for well under $300.

If a Blackhawk, it's one of a special run of .32-20/.32H&R convertibles for Buckeye Sports back in `89 or `90 and WAAAAY too much beef for the cartridge. I'd want something with bigger holes in a full-sized Blackhawk.

Jim March

If you happen to spot one, the best Ruger 357 ever made (seriously!) is the 50th Anniversary 357 Flattop Blackhawk.

Unlike almost all other post-1972 "New Model" Blackhawks, that one is built on the mid-size frame similar to a Colt SAA, same as the Ruger New Vaquero except with adjustable sight. This "50th 357" always comes all-blue, 4.68" barrel. While not as gorilla-strong as it's larger cousins built on the 44Magnum-class frame, the 50th 357's cylinder is still beefier than a Ruger GP100 or S&W L-frame so it (like the New Vaquero in 357) can handle an unlimited diet of the nastiest 357 fodder out there.

It's also dead simple to free-spin the cylinder on the mid-frames, just pull one hex set screw lurking under the transfer bar, pull the spring and plunger underneath. This lets you roll the cylinder both ways with the loading gate open, and makes spinning the cylinder quieter in both directions. It can be easily reinstalled if desired.

That's the one to get if the barrel length is what you want. A lot were made, you have a pretty decent chance of spotting one.

NOTE: all of these were made prior to 2009 that I'm aware of, which is good as Ruger QC has taken a bit of a dive of late. Do a detailed pre-purchase inspection!

Laz

Ruger QC has taken a bit of a dive of late.

What's the basis for that assessment? I've read that several times recently on forums but, honestly, mostly in your posts. Can you elaborate?

Never mind. I read your reasons for saying that on the other thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

gak

CraigC is correct about the Buckeye Special .32s - and their being a lot of gun--in the wrong way! - though quality pieces. Ruger also came out with a similar limited run (Davidsons?) in stainless Vaquero .32-20/.32H&R convertible, also same weight problem. I'd get one of the .357 50th Anniversary models or same caliber in same framed New Vaquero if you like the fixed sight/cowboy profile (If you're adrenaline shooting at a mountain lion in self defense you're shooting minute-of-critter at best anyway). In any event, that's the classic Blackhawk caliber.

Other recommendations would be the Lipsey's .44 Special mentioned (also mid-frame as above) or the regular Blackhawk in a 4.5-6.5" .44 Mag, which can also shoot the specials. For cougar country.either the .357 or .44(s) (or .45 for that matter) should be fine.

Final analysis: for your description, very hard to go wrong with that 50th Ann. .357 (or its New Vaquero cousin).

Later Ed. Someone reported here or on another forum that Davidsons has released some new (NIB)"old" (original large frame) Vaqueros in .45., some of them birdsheads. Don't know if any left.

Last edited:

jcjr3020

I'm with Russ5924, the 45Colt/.45acp conversion is a great way to go. i have had mine for about 4 years now and not had a min. of trouble out of it. And if you are just shooting paper, the acp is cheaper too.

timothy75

I'd go 357 with a mid power load using 158gr bullet and unique. Very cheap to shoot and will fill all your needs plus never wear out. Good luck

rclark

As you noticed we all have a 'different' idea what is best. My favorite? I'd go with .45 Colt first. Second choice would be be the .44. Then .357 Why? Because the .45 Colt loaded normally will knock down just about any animal out there. Load it hotter and you get the rest ... without being a wrist buster. The gun is actually a bit lighter because of the bigger cylinder holes. Plus that occasional two legged animal that you may run into will be looking down a 'big' hole in the barrel when pointed correctly. A bit more intimidating than the .22 to .357.... As for the .44mag... Well, factory loads for the most part are, well, magnums.... Unless you reload they aren't fun to shoot. If you reload, then much like the .45 Colt. Of course you can shoot .44 specials in them too for more pleasant shooting experience too. Now, the .357 will handle most smaller animals you'd run into too. Just has to be loaded much hotter which makes it 'louder' which is harder on the unprotected ears. That said, I have all three calibers and like them all.... but .45 Colt is just my favorite woods caliber .... and has lots of 'history' behind it... and just goes 'boooom' .... not 'craaaack' FWIW :) .

roaddog28

I agree with the previous post.

1.45 colt
2. 357 magnum ( only because it is cheaper to shoot)
3.44 magnum if you think you might run into a bear.

rclark

( only because it is cheaper to shoot)
Yeah, if I plan on doing a lot of 'plinking' the .357/.38 is a better choice than even the .45 Colt.... And for what you intend to use it for ... it just might be best. Personally ... I have both for that very reason :D . When I plan on an excursion without much shooting (self defense) a .45 Colt revolver gets the nod to go along. Like hiking/fishing/camping... If I plan on plinking cans from the back of my truck, the .357 comes out and/or the .22 .... not that a few .45 Colt rounds don't go down range too! :) Nothing beats the o' .22 if hunting rabbits or gophers.... A gun for every purpose .... isn't that the way it should be? :) .

Slam dunk 41 mag.
Ahhh yes, the odd ball caliber :) . Now where exactly does it fit in the scheme of things? Hah ;)

CraigC

If you reload the .357 is really not much cheaper than the big bores. Commercial cast bullets from mailorder houses are all about the same, regardless of caliber. I wouldn't use that as a major factor in my decision making.

Jim March

The only thing I don't like about the 41 is, there hasn't been as much projectile development. Esp. in personal defense slugs. A very top-end 357 with a good projectile (Gold Dot most likely) loaded to the gills is hard to top for personal defense.

In an SAA-sized platform, I question whether the 45LC really is a better stopper than the 357 for man or beast. A 357 180gr hardcast doing 1,400fps is packing a lot more energy than a 45cal 255 doing 1,000.

The 45LC can almost run with the 357, granted, and it can do so with subsonic loads. That's cool. But load a 357 to the gills and screw the sound barrier, and you can put a lot of heat downrange. While I agree with the Facklerites that the "temporary stretch cavity" of a big-energy handgun rounds doesn't usually do much (a few soft tissues excepted), I think there's still a role for "big energy" in bone-smashing ability and using exploded bone fragments as a secondary wounding mechanism.

I carry big-energy 357 loads with Gold Dot projectiles and find them quite comforting.

CraigC

In an SAA-sized platform, I question whether the 45LC really is a better stopper than the 357 for man or beast. A 357 180gr hardcast doing 1,400fps is packing a lot more energy than a 45cal 255 doing 1,000.
With cast bullets, diameter will always trump velocity. Energy is far too dependent on velocity and is all but meaningless. All that extra 400fps will really do is flatten trajectory.

Last edited: