Which .45 ACP ammo would you pick for home defense?

Which .45 ACP is better for self-defense?

• Winchester Supreme 230 grain SXT JHP

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • Federal Premium 230 grain Hydra-Shok JHP

Votes: 42 59.2%

• Total voters

gwnorth

My preference is either regular winchester silvertips (usually cheaper then the SXT's and just as good, IMO) or remington golden saber 230gr JHP.

gb_in_ga

Assuming that both function correctly in the gun, between the 2, I'd go with the SXTs. I realize that Hydra-Shoks have had good "street" results but I still don't trust them to expand reliably. It has to do that that post in the middle of the cavity. It has been shown that, while the post promotes expansion in ideal cases, it promotes clogging in the cavity and thus hinders expansion when penetrating more than trivial amounts of clothing. Personally, I'd go with the more "traditional" hollow point design that has been shown to perform well even through heavy clothing.

which ammo would you pick
Either will work just fine. For that matter, virtually any of the modern designer-round HPs will do just fine. Stay away from Glaser and such, IMO. They work really good for a very narrow range of problems, but outside of that range their effectiveness is pretty low. A good general purpose round is almost always a good selection across the board.

Last edited:

Smaug

David Armstrong said:
Stay away from Glaser and such, IMO. They work really good for a very narrow range of problems, but outside of that range their effectiveness is pretty low.

What narrow range of problems? Just the ones that are realistic for non-law enforcement to encouter?

As people who will most likely be defending themselves at home or while out and about, rather than shooting through car doors and windows, when would a Glaser not be sufficient?

Take a look at this test:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot4.htm

The Glaser Blue went through the equivalent of three interior walls, leaving a 3/4" (75 cal.!) hole.

The 158 gr. 357 Magnum JHP went through 9 sheets of drywall. (4-1/2 walls!)

Here's another one:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot10.htm

..and another one:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot13.htm

another one:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

You will notice that most defensive ammo that is preferred here is going to penetrate at least 3 walls. (assuming they're not brick) Glasers penetrate less, but still enough to be effective. FMJs penetrate 6 walls.

Yes, they're too expensive to practice with regularly. But two packages (6 ea.) should be enough. One to ensure reliable feeding, one for the first few rounds in your magazine or cylinder.

Bottom line is that unless you live in the middle of nowhere without family or neighbors in other rooms, you're taking a big risk with FMJ or HP ammo. Let's not even think about those of you with rifles. Those rounds will go through the walls of your house, across the lawn or street, and easily into your neighbor's house.

I pray you never have to use those 230 gr. Hydra-shoks.

shooter313

Until about eight months ago I kept a 45ACP by my bed as well. Loaded with Hornady XTP 230 Gr.,just because I like the way they shoot in my guns.
Then it happened, Mr. Moron down the street was “cleaning” his .44 mag S&W and it “went off” going though his living room wall, into the neighbors living room wall, though the length of their couch, and ending its trail of destruction in their stove in the kitchen.:eek: He is now with out his CCW permit, and also without the rest of the guns that he owned. I don’t know if he will ever get any of them back, but it did make me rethink my choice for a bedside weapon.
I now keep my 18” BBL 12 gauge there loaded with a load I read about in a gun mag over 20 years ago. It is reloads loaded with finishing nails with the heads cut off. A little slow to reload them, but you don’t really need that many. I think I did 50 at the time just to see what kind of damage they would do to house board, and drywall. I used pumpkins at the time for targets. If they do any place near the damage to a person that they did to those pumpkins I would not want to be in that intruders place!! And yet once it goes though one wall of drywall, it is pretty much done.
I sleep better at night now knowing that if I MISS someone that needs to be shot, that I won’t take out a neighbor. Or my wife in the next room, or a visitor that I forgot was there for the weekend because of the rush of the moment.
I know this was not one of your choices, but in the real world things happen. This load combo will stop anyone cold, and perhaps save a life you didn’t intend to end.
Which ever you choose I am sure it will do the job for you.:)
Good Luck,

kayakersteve

sooter 313

Mr. Moron down the street was “cleaning” his .44 mag S&W and it “went off” going though his living room wall, into the neighbors living room wall, though the length of their couch, and ending its trail of destruction in their stove in the kitchen.
Assuming this is a true and accurate statement, why would you base what you do on a moron's neglect. I am sure a judge would love for you to explain why shot loaded will nails (homegrown ammo) is safer than conventional ammo. This just doesn't make sense to me!!!

Last edited:
What narrow range of problems?
Basically unprotected thin-skin targets in the open not needing much penetration. Special rounds are cool for special things, but not much good for general purpose use.
Bottom line is that unless you live in the middle of nowhere without family or neighbors in other rooms, you're taking a big risk with FMJ or HP ammo.
No, not really. The energy left after a bit of wall penetration isn't that much, and there is no evidence of that being a problem. If it were you can bet that we'd have found out by now.

It is reloads loaded with finishing nails with the heads cut off.
You worry about overpenetration, but then you select something like that for defense? Might want to reconsider that, and talk with some folks that know and understand self-defense and the courts.

gb_in_ga

I now keep my 18” BBL 12 gauge there loaded with a load I read about in a gun mag over 20 years ago. It is reloads loaded with finishing nails with the heads cut off.
And the sectional density of a headless finishing nail is? Best I can tell, you are looking at an even greater penetration threat than conventional ammo.

Webleymkv

Smaug, I'll be sure to remember the Box'O Truth test if I'm ever attacked by a screaming horde of wall boards. Seriously though, penetration against sheetrock and soft tissue are very different things.

Fremmer

Looks like the Hydra-Shok is liked in here. It does have a pretty good rep, doesn't it? And a neat lookin' center post, too. :cool: :D

funon1

In my backyard testing

The Winchesters hang together a bit better. The HS expand a little more. I think I would still prefer the HS though. The 230 Grain bullets are a standard weight and velocity. I prefer a much lighter, faster round in the .45 for urban use. Though I have not personally tested it, the CB 165 cited above looks promising. Another manufacturer that I have been tinkering with lately is Buffalo Bore +P in different calibers.

Funon1

OldCorp

Neither of the choices would be a bad pick. But I use what I carried before retirement, the Speer Gold Dot 230 JHP. It has proven it's self locally on the street numerous times. Excellent performance.

Smaug

David Armstrong said:
Basically unprotected thin-skin targets in the open not needing much penetration. Special rounds are cool for special things, but not much good for general purpose use.
Yes, this is is the type of "specialized use" most of us would need. The blue Glasers are designed for warmer climates & less clothes. The silver are designed to go through more clothes. I can tell you didn't actually look at my links; you had already made up your mind. Otherwise, you'd know that even blue Glasers will go through 6 layers of drywall.

Smaug said:
Bottom line is that unless you live in the middle of nowhere without family or neighbors in other rooms, you're taking a big risk with FMJ or HP ammo.

David Armstrong said:
No, not really. The energy left after a bit of wall penetration isn't that much, and there is no evidence of that being a problem. If it were you can bet that we'd have found out by now.

In other words: "Don't bother me with actual data, I've made up my mind." Please. :rolleyes: Do you actually think that a 230 gr. bullet, after having penetrated 2 layers of drywall isn't going to have enough energy to hurt or kill someone? Even after seeing data that it will penetrate 6-12 sheets? That is the most ridiculous thing I've read here in a while. It is not convenient, but it is reality. No one seems willing to plan for it either.

nate45

Go with any of the premium 230 grain JHP and you can't go wrong. The Federal HST would be a good choice.

P.S. Stay away from the Glaser rounds, I'd hate to hear about our old buddy Fremmer getting killed, because his gimmicky exotic ammo failed to penetrate the BG.:p

nate45

357%20Magnum%20Glaser.jpg

12 cm of penetration, thats real impressive.:rolleyes:

Shooting drywall and cars or whatever is fun, but it doesn't simulate human tissue.

Fremmer

The 230 Grain bullets are a standard weight and velocity. I prefer a much lighter, faster round in the .45 for urban use.

I like the 230 grain JHP. A nice big fat .45. The gun seems to like 'em, too. It'll at least have less penetration than a 230 grain FMJ. I don't want to shoot a +P round.

I suppose either brand will work well. I'll let you know how the Kimber shoots 'em.

Last edited:

bufordtjustice

I use hydrashok in both my 1911's and 9mm's. Pretty good round, easy to find, I used to get them free from where I worked and they always worked well in all my sidearms. I ran probably 5k through a sig 228 I had and it was a good performer. There are probably better rounds out there but I'll stick with these for awhile.

Yes, this is is the type of "specialized use" most of us would need.
No. Most of us need general purpose rounds, because we can't predict in advance what the situation will be. So you select a round that will provide a good result across a spectrum of possibilities, not just one.
Otherwise, you'd know that even blue Glasers will go through 6 layers of drywall.
Going through drywall has squat to do with how a round performs on the BG, which should be your first concern.
In other words: "Don't bother me with actual data, I've made up my mind."
You might try that concept on yourself. I've probably attended more ammo testsw and shooting demos than you've read about, including a fair number of times the Glasers have shown up as part of the test.
It is not convenient, but it is reality. No one seems willing to plan for it either.
Seems the lack of planning may be on your part. "Excuse me Mr. BG, would you mind taking off that leather jacket. I've got Blues in my gun instead of Silvers. Oh, and have your friend get out from behind that couch over there. My ammo doesn't work very well on that kind of stuff. Hey you over there using the bookcase or desk for cover...that's just not fair!" Welcome to reality.