Which .45 ACP ammo would you pick for home defense?

Which .45 ACP is better for self-defense?

• Winchester Supreme 230 grain SXT JHP

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • Federal Premium 230 grain Hydra-Shok JHP

Votes: 42 59.2%

• Total voters

Fremmer

I went to the store last weekend and purchased two boxes of .45 ACP ammo for the Kimber (8 round mag):

1. Winchester Supreme 230 grain SXT ammo; and

2. Federal Premium 230 grain Hydra-Shok ammo.

Assuming that both are absolutely reliable in my gun, and that both are equally accurate from my gun, which ammo would you pick to defend an irritated wife, a t-rex 2 year old, a 11 month old baby-marine, two felines, and myself? Residence is a typical 3 bedroom home. Here's your chance to discuss velocity, energy, penetration, temporary cavity, permanant cavity, bullet construction, and/or anything else that you think makes one better than the other for self defense!

Smaug

Fremmer, the 230 gr. Hydra-Shok has about the best reputation of all 45 ACP rounds for statistical one-shot stops.

However, 230 gr. may be too much penetration for the typical home.

I'd go with Glasers instead.

It would be terrible if you emptied a mag at a bad guy, and found out that one of your misses killed your child in the next room. :(

RickB

Agree about Hydra-Shok's reputation. Last time I chrono'd it, the 230gr load went 900fps. If I wanted +P velocities, I'd buy +P ammo. Docile handling with normal-pressure loads is what makes the .45 such a great round, so I prefer the standard-velocity stuff like SXT.

Creeper

I'd have to agree with Smaug about using Glaser or similar rounds in a friendly-populated, home-defense scenario.

In a conventional round - same scenario, I'd lean towards a target round using a hard cast lead or jacketed SWC at about 750FPS with about 230 ft lbs of muzzle energy... rather than a higher velocity round with nearly double the muzzle energy.

I'm more a 12ga. pump home-defense guy to be honest... IMO, handguns are for going out in public, where you don't know what your environment will be.

C

Creeper

mellow_c said:
Depends on what your defending against.

Stevie Nicks...

66961478_m5KoJ-O.gif

LanceOregon

CorBon 165 gr hollowpoint. There is no .45 Auto load with a larger Hollowpoint than this, as you can see in this photo.

45_corbon_on.jpg

The load also has very high velocity, helping to insure tremendous damage being done by the 573 ft/lbs of energy it has.

tomgow29

I went with the SXT, not because I have a huge preference for it, but because it is my duty ammo and I know my guns work with it.

bikerbill

I don't use either, tho I'm familiar with and like both loads. My 1911 nightstand gun is loaded with Pow'RBall 165gr +ps because I never worry about them feeding and they pack a whallop. I keep a spare mag loaded with 230gr Remington Golden Sabers for the same reason (and I ran out of Pow'RBalls) ...

kayakersteve

Unconditionally...

I know it wasn't in your choices, but those are too limiting for most of us, so Federal HST 230 grain - These are awesome:
600_IMGP8577.JPG

madmag

I voted the Federal.

I'd go with Glasers instead.

I don't like Glasers. I have tried them in various calibers.

-From tests I have seen they don't perform the same all the time. One time they will not penetrate dry wall, the next time they penetrate about the same as any other round.

-Number one reason. It costs too much to shoot and prove out for functioning and accuracy.

Most of the above are good recommendations. Also, Speer Gold Dot short barrel HP ammo is good. Works at lower velocity.

Last edited:

Webleymkv

Between the two, I'd go for the Winchesters. I personally use 230grn +P HST but really just about any premium 230grn hollowpoint would probably be fine.

Jager78

I voted for and use Federal Premium 230 grain Hydra-Shok JHP in my HK45 cocked and locked :cool:

I'm sure Winchester will do the job too.

____________________________________________________________________________________

HK45 w/ Insight M6X Laser/Tactical Illuminator

Sig Pro 2022 .40 w/ CTC Laser Grip and Insight XTI "Procyon" Tactical Illuminator

T. R. Allen

I carry a Springfield ultra compact V10 that is ported. I use 200 gr. Hornady TAP 45acp. +P It gives 1055 fps in a 5" bbl and 494 ft/lb. Somewhat less in my 3.5 inch bbl, but it will do the job. It functions flawlessly through all my mags and has no flash. For home defense, there is a 20 ga pump loaded with #2 buck next to the bed.